PDA

View Full Version : Metalline arrows needed

Erica9635
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Metalline weapons were added (im assuming because having a reduction of each type sucks), but the House D vendor who sold the different types of arrows never ordered any Metalline. Would be nice to buy one kind of arrow instead of four and remember which one is for what type of monster.

Also, why do quivers not hold more than 1 stack of the same type of arrow? I can see the logic behind smaller stacks, but more different types (wide quiver) and bigger stacks of fewer variety (thin quiver) but not letting you put two stacks of the same type in the same quiver?

If theres a good reason why this isn't allowed, I would like to know. Also not being able to put arrows on your shortcut bar from inside the quiver is pretty annoying so allowing that would be nice.

Doxmaster
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
All of that sounds suspiciously like it would be good for ranged combat, which makes no sense. Why would anyone want ranged combat to get better? Or Easier? Or...less pathetic?

Angelus_dead
04-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Metalline weapons were added (im assuming because having a reduction of each type sucks), but the House D vendor who sold the different types of arrows never ordered any Metalline. Would be nice to buy one kind of arrow instead of four and remember which one is for what type of monster.
You wanna spend 500 plat PER ARROW, be my guest.

Otherwise, buy a Metalline bow.

Erica9635
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Are you trying to say metalline arrows exist but they are 500 plat per arrow - 500,000 gold per stack of arrows? Or are you saying you think thats what they should cost?

The whole point of having arrows that are silver, adamantine, byeshk, and cold iron are so you can use whatever bow you want, and give it that stat. They already have those 4, but never put metalline arrows out when metalline weapons came out. If they did, where are they? :P

blitzschlag
04-28-2010, 04:03 AM
The whole point of having arrows that are silver, adamantine, byeshk, and cold iron are so you can use whatever bow you want, and give it that stat. They already have those 4, but never put metalline arrows out when metalline weapons came out. If they did, where are they? :P

none/few of those arrows bypasses any dr alone. you need holy/good + cold iron/silver to bypass demon/pit fiend dr. byeshk is kinda useless in general. the only mindflayers that can pose a thread are the red named in slavers of the shrieking mines. there is really few stuff whose dr can be broken by adamantine alone. most are adamantine + bludgeoning (golems and stuff). adamantine arrows were neat in von6 back in the old days tho.

i don't see the problem in general tho. you go to amrath/vale/shroud? be sure to have your quiver filled with silver. you go for the queen or invaders(for example), get cold iron. use the silver bow for best experience anyway...

Erica9635
04-28-2010, 04:31 AM
i don't see the problem in general tho. you go to amrath/vale/shroud? be sure to have your quiver filled with silver. you go for the queen or invaders(for example), get cold iron. use the silver bow for best experience anyway...

Metalline weapons should be removed from the game. Just use silver if you need silver, and cold iron when you need cold iron. I don't see the problem. *sarcasm*

Yes I do those places, in shroud I use silver arrows, and cold iron for the others. Why make me carry twice as many arrows? And its stupid to use a silver bow when you need silver, when you can use silver arrows in a T3 GS holy/good bow.

I can see why most people wouldn't ask for them to be added (as most arent AAs), but why would you be against it?

Kepli_Moonshadow
04-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes I do those places, in shroud I use silver arrows, and cold iron for the others. Why make me carry twice as many arrows? And its stupid to use a silver bow when you need silver, when you can use silver arrows in a T3 GS holy/good bow.

This. Silver bow IS holy, not silver. Silver refers to it's origin (Church of the Silver Flame) Use, it, know it, love it.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Silver_Longbow

Erica9635
04-28-2010, 04:55 AM
This. Silver bow IS holy, not silver. Silver refers to it's origin (Church of the Silver Flame) Use, it, know it, love it.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Silver_Longbow

Yes because that silver bow is so much better than a bow with holy, good burst, and good blast. Thanks.

blitzschlag
04-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Yes because that silver bow is so much better than a bow with holy, good burst, and good blast. Thanks.

yes, if you have a closer look you might see why it still can be better than a single shard tier 3 shroud weapon...

Erica9635
04-28-2010, 05:09 AM
yes, if you have a closer look you might see why it still can be better than a single shard tier 3 shroud weapon...

People around here are really good at not being helpful. The description of most items in DDO only help you if you already know what it does. If you say its better, it must do purple damage then. If it does, you should have just said so. Obviously its nothing I knew of.

blitzschlag
04-28-2010, 05:13 AM
People around here are really good at not being helpful. The description of most items in DDO only help you if you already know what it does. If you say its better, it must do purple damage then. If it does, you should have just said so. Obviously its nothing I knew of.

sorry, you re right. could have been more helpful.

it does not do purple damage. but it has double the crit range a normal bow has. so with improved crit:ranged it crits on 17+.

Kepli_Moonshadow
04-28-2010, 05:18 AM

I was trying to be helpful. There was absolutely no sarcasm in my post. Obviously you are cranky this morning. I apologize, I thought you were posting this thread for feedback. I didn't realize you already had all the answers. Hopefully your day gets a little better.

Erica9635
04-28-2010, 05:30 AM
Yes part of it is im a little cranky, but when you leave feedback to someone you should explain why your option is better, not just say it is. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Kepli_Moonshadow
04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Yes part of it is im a little cranky, but when you leave feedback to someone you should explain why your option is better, not just say it is. I'll give it a try, thanks.

No worries! To expand a little bit about the difference between a reg. +2 longbow and THE Silver longbow, it starts with the damage- 1d10 instead of 1d8
crits on 19-20 instead of just a 20

The "holy" modifier simply adds 2d6 additional damage to evil-aligned mobs (few of those running about ;) )

I digress, the bow IS made from silver, so should bypass DR.

The reason I would steer you this way, as opposed to worrying yourself about the metalline arrows, is your DPS will be more effective with the Silver bow and say +5 flaming/holy/acid/frost arrow than the metalline would.

Also, to qualify, are you primarily ranged, 50/50, or primarily tempest?

If you have ANY melee capability, you would be more effective with metalline hand weapons, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

sirgog
04-28-2010, 06:15 AM
No worries! To expand a little bit about the difference between a reg. +2 longbow and THE Silver longbow, it starts with the damage- 1d10 instead of 1d8
crits on 19-20 instead of just a 20

The "holy" modifier simply adds 2d6 additional damage to evil-aligned mobs (few of those running about ;) )

I digress, the bow IS made from silver, so should bypass DR.

The reason I would steer you this way, as opposed to worrying yourself about the metalline arrows, is your DPS will be more effective with the Silver bow and say +5 flaming/holy/acid/frost arrow than the metalline would.

Also, to qualify, are you primarily ranged, 50/50, or primarily tempest?

If you have ANY melee capability, you would be more effective with metalline hand weapons, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Despite the hidden augmented critical feature of the Silver Bow, Greensteel weapons outclass it. Just the first upgrade (Holy) puts a bow that's aiming for Lightning Strike about level with the Silver Bow - then you add Shocking Burst, Shocking Blast and Lightning Strike.

Interestingly, one of the better players on Khyber claimed that maximum Ranger DPS in the Shroud is acquired by an Arcane Archer build that Manyshots a Lightning 2 bow for the first 20 seconds of each pass, then engages in melee (and that this will out-DPS a Tempest that melees all the time). Haven't done the numbers myself to test it, but I'm inclined to believe them.

Kepli_Moonshadow
04-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Despite the hidden augmented critical feature of the Silver Bow, Greensteel weapons outclass it.

True statement, although we don't know if OP is even high enough level for a GS blank let alone tierIII.

Or whether or not OP is tempest/AA. Not flaming, just trying to stay on topic.

rest
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
True statement, although we don't know if OP is even high enough level for a GS blank let alone tierIII.

Or whether or not OP is tempest/AA. Not flaming, just trying to stay on topic.

Reading is fundamental.

Metalline comes on bows, I don't think it needs to come on arrows. IMHO.

Angelus_dead
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Are you trying to say metalline arrows exist but they are 500 plat per arrow - 500,000 gold per stack of arrows?
No, I'm telling you that demanding an arbitrary magic enhancement on purchasable arrows is illogical, and would entail paying the very high prices magic bonuses call for.

They already have those 4, but never put metalline arrows out when metalline weapons came out. If they did, where are they? :P
The devs were too smart to put out metalline arrows.

Ranged-combatants can get a metalline bow the same as melee attackers can get a metalline sword.
But ranged players ALSO have the advantage of taking a non-metalline bow and loading silver arrows into it.

Melee characters would LOVE to take their existing non-metalline weapons and sprinkle silver powder onto them to beat devil DR, but they can't. That's already an advantage for ranged combat, and it doesn't need more benefit in this regard.

Missing_Minds
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
I do not believe we need metline arrows.

Blunt and slashing arrows... ....

You know, I can see deepwood sniper getting slashing arrows. And given how Deepwood could "make" arrows, I wouldn't be surprised if they got blunt arrows as well.

Shade
04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
You''l get your metaline arrows the same time melee weapons get a cheap option to add metaline to every one of them in a stone of change.

IE: Never.

Ever heard of balance?

Metaline bows already exist inthe game. As such, you aren't getting arrows too. A bit overpowered.

It's already much easier for archers to bypass DR's then any other class in the game besides perhaps pure lvl20 capstoned paladins.. So yea, not gonna happen.

Daehawk
04-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I agree with Shade as it would unbalance things a bit.

Also if they were to every add them to the game I'd say have them at the 400 House D favor vendor mark which is currently unattainable to reach.

BLAKROC
04-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Despite the hidden augmented critical feature of the Silver Bow, Greensteel weapons outclass it. Just the first upgrade (Holy) puts a bow that's aiming for Lightning Strike about level with the Silver Bow - then you add Shocking Burst, Shocking Blast and Lightning Strike.

Interestingly, one of the better players on Khyber claimed that maximum Ranger DPS in the Shroud is acquired by an Arcane Archer build that Manyshots a Lightning 2 bow for the first 20 seconds of each pass, then engages in melee (and that this will out-DPS a Tempest that melees all the time). Haven't done the numbers myself to test it, but I'm inclined to believe them.

it does, and it will again. slaying arrows and a lightning strike bow, on many shot is a dps wonder to behold. :)

Lorz
04-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I would think that any one who started playing 2006 knows what the Silver Bow is and why its probably one of the BEST bows in the game. Seeing as numerous times its been discussed and explained many many many times in the forums. Especially if they are AA.

But people tend not to be able to read and comprehend, much easier to say CHANGE THIS TO FIX THIS....even when its not a real problem.

And yes Shade is right....God Lord that hurts to type.

:)

Gringo
04-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Why not just make a min II bow? They are metaline AND good (so they bypass DR with regular arrows). Not to mention they are keen (don't need improved crit ranged), +5 (you can just buy the standard +1 returning arrows, much cheaper), slicing (1d4 more damage), acid/good burst/blast plus you get a 2x stoneskin clicky. I have one on my tempest ranger and the damage is obscene...

Just sayin'...