PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Name Generator or Deletion

lbroyles
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I have something that will blow your minds. How about a deletion of inactive toons, or even a name generator. Names are getting harder and harder to come up with these days, expescially now with all the free to play accounts. I dont think that people who havent played since release will be to upset if there account is deleted do to inactivity. There is some original names out there rotting away because nobody plays them. Even a name generator will help in finding names. For the prosses of creating a toon the name is by far the longest of it all. this could cause a mess or this could clean things up just how you look at it.

Anneliese
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Many > trillion unique names are still left (ofc some make no sense :) )

rjedi
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
/signed but with a few differences....

If you have been VIP, ever, then you get to keep your names (little perk for us that pay monthly)
if not then premiums should keep then name longer then f2p, say a year
f2p 6 months of inactivity

And this is based on account inactivity! not characters!

and a name gen would be nice....

Uska
04-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Ok for those with no imagination a random name generator but no to deletion of characters. Its not hard to think of names I have close to 50 characters altogether and only on a couple did I duplicate names across servers.

rjedi
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Ok for those with no imagination a random name generator but no to deletion of characters. Its not hard to think of names I have close to 50 characters altogether and only on a couple did I duplicate names across servers.

how about deletion of names? like when you log in and have been away for more then a year, premium account (never been vip), you have a box that tell you

blah blah you been inactive to many months, account activity not server or character, please rename your characters

Uska
04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
how about deletion of names? like when you log in and have been away for more then a year, premium account (never been vip), you have a box that tell you

blah blah you been inactive to many months, account activity not server or character, please rename your characters

NO deletion of names if someone is to dumb to think up their own name they need to concentrate on school and not a game.

jaxxor20xx
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Well I found this generator. It's from Wizards of the Coast. You're welcome. :)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/cng

Have fun! And yes it includes Warforged. Unfortunately, no Drow. Weird...

lbroyles
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
IM not talking about a deletion of players that still play. Im talking about old school members that used to pay and dont anymore. I use to play with Willow pretty original name. This player hasnt longed on for years... doesnt pay doesnt play why not delete that characters name and if they happen to long back in yes they can change their name they did it when they merged servers.

Anneliese
04-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Once you have a name, its your identity (sort of).

Remove the name, and you will remove quite a few potential returning players.

rjedi
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Once you have a name, its your identity (sort of).

Remove the name, and you will remove quite a few potential returning players.

thats why i said if ever VIP then you get to keep your names foreva and eva

i have plenty of original names :) so thats not my problem at all lol
just i am sure there are lots of people that have names, havent played for long time (even just after EU), and have names just taking up space

Anneliese
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
just i am sure there are lots of people that have names, havent played for long time (even just after EU), and have names just taking up space

Those names dont take up much space compared to a blank name. The size difference that turbine has to store is minimal. Probably even higher with the new system since they would need to store the additional rename info.

ProdigalGuru
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
If it only affects F2P accounts, then I approve.

Free players that have not logged on in 3 months can have account wipe for all I care.

knightgf
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Deleting names? Bit controversial if you ask me.

A WORKING name generator? Absolutely! I agree! These days, its hard to come up with names like you said, and having a simple generator to generate a name saves time and frustration.

Memnir
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Turbine has said many times they will not delete names. Ever.
They hope that these wayward sheep may return to the flock - and stripping away their characters' names would be a great way to ensure they never do.

When naming new characters, I use Thesaurus.com (http://thesaurus.com/).

Or, for those who may want a more fantasy-themed name - you could try a Fantasy Name Generator like: this (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/), this (http://dicelog.com/yafnagen). or this (http://www.dwheeler.com/totro.html).

Dcurd
04-25-2010, 07:37 PM
... There is some original names out there rotting away because nobody plays them...

If the name is already taken, how is it original :D

Sorry, semantically I just couldn't wrap my head around that sentence :P

Many games have purges of old inactive accounts, but draw the line if any money has been spent. So f2p accounts that have never spent money could be subject to purging, but premium or vip have the perk of immortality.

For the original purpose of the post I don't think this is needed. I'd rather have people try harder to come up with an *ACTUALLY* original name, rather then get to use a name that 3 f2p accounts have chosen before, but been purged.

If the purge was to alleviate server space and performance issues like lessening database loads when searching, that I could get behind.

Marr0w1
04-25-2010, 07:50 PM
when you buy a game and subscribe, you basically enter into an agreement with the developer that you will follow their rules, and not steal their IP, and in return they act within reason to maintain the playability of your characters.
If you were a founding member, subscribed for 5 years, and then lost your character because you didnt log on for a year or two (eg. military deployment, or other circumstances), then deleting that account would basically be like deleting bought-and-paid-for games from someone's steam account.

Thorin2001
04-26-2010, 03:35 AM
I found this (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/) Fantasy Name Generator and think it is very usefull.
I never had the problem that a name was already taken...
Hope it helps to find a unique and good name for your chars!

Hokiewa
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
......with Willow pretty original name.

Pretty original? Not in the least bit. As Mem posted Turbine will not delete old names, and frankly names are easy to come up with.

Hybro
04-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I am happy that DDO saved my characters' names, but it wouldn't have prevented me from coming back if I had to rename them. I have several lvl 1 characters I can really care less about that I still haven't played since starting again.

I'm all for deleting names that are on an inactive account for a year and attached to lower than lvl 4 characters, VIP or not. Its hard to argue that anyone who didn't bother getting the character to lvl 4 and let the account sit dead for a year or two would have any attachment to that particular name. As long as the character isn't deleted, it should be fine.

On the other hand though, its such a minor issue that it is probably not worth the developing time to implement it.