PDA

View Full Version : Non-Combat Driven Quest?

Raider88
04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I thought maybe a "Murder Mystery" style quest, or a "Politically-Driven" style quest would be an interesting quest for a series or something. It would use the bluff/intimidate/diplomacy skills in more than just a combat sense, and it could be randomized similar to Sins of Attrition.

Or...you could make this the first half of a quest, and then depending on the decisions you make for the skill-driven half, the combat half changes accordingly. Say I support the Dwarven Banker for a Senate seat, then the Halfling Trader uses his "connections" to hire a band of assassins to kill him and my party must protect him.
Or say I support the Halfling Trader and the Dwarven Banker sends a band of "collectors" to reacquire the halfling's debt and life.

I love the combat in this game, but sometimes I long for the dialogue driven, skill-based gameplay of certain parts of the PnP game.

RangerOne
04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
/signed

That would be great. A departure fro the norm and provides something for everyone.

markhoge
04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
/signed
+1

Lleren
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
/signed

Lorien_the_First_One
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
We already have a couple decision tree quests...people quickly figure out the 'quick' path and just use that.

Anything totally non combat would be fun the first time...then 6 hours after it was released the answers would be posted... then it would be boring but 'free' loot/xp as everyone just copied the 'best' path off the web.

Angelus_dead
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I thought maybe a "Murder Mystery" style quest
Long ago I did an outline for a murder mystery DDO quest. But it still had a lot of combat...

Your group visited an abandoned castle and was sealed in and besieged by undead / negative energy monsters until you can figure out which of 5 suspects killed the last king. The solution is random: first you find where it happened, then see the weapon used, then travel to where it was gotten and discover the perpetrator's identity.

Raider88
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
We already have a couple decision tree quests...people quickly figure out the 'quick' path and just use that.

Anything totally non combat would be fun the first time...then 6 hours after it was released the answers would be posted... then it would be boring but 'free' loot/xp as everyone just copied the 'best' path off the web.

The "Murder Mystery" could be randomized. If they can change around the maze path in "Prey on the Hunter" they can probably randomize the guilty individual, so it would rarely be the same path through things.

The political aspect could throw different enemies at you? Maybe one time the Halfling Trader sends his assassin's at you, and the next time he uses an exotic animal he imported (read: ancient beholder) to take care of business?

I understand people love to turn every quest into a zerg fest, but it seems like there are mechanics they already have started to implement that can lead to a more dynamic quest.

donfilibuster
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
A little creativity can make it work. Reminds me of the old TSR D&D books in the likes of "choose your own adventure".
In those books one of the slogans was that your character was unique thus the adventure would always be different.

The NPC may react to your party members as in race/class/skills/etc. so each time the run would be a bit different unless you choose the same kind of toons. So far DDO has several quests with stat runes, which are basically a class filter. Strenght levers and locked doors serve the same purpose.

Another step would be changing the outcome depending on your gear or given quest items:
A long climb of the fort walls or just bring the battering ram? Perhaps simply bribe the gate guards (typical medieval scenario).
Optional goals may change faster than usual: quench the hut on fire or chase the bandits? These may run on a timer.
Old 2e adventure modules had plenty of these, like refugees of war fleeing in their wagons, and either need help or give it to you.

The typical dungeon crawl is never logic and are good challenge yet always a bit obvious as in the 'lit all the torches' or 'pull all the levers' kind of quest. The escape from a dungeon may take a few more steps: the goblin patrols at night so you can wait for sunrise, the warlock wants to relase the trapped monster so you can take care of that first, or perhaps find out the way through the kitchen instead of the front gates.
Since this game doesn't have skills such as tracking, survival or direction sense, knowledge, etc. NPCs help is a must.

TheJusticar
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
/signed indeed.

D&D is so rich in this type of thing it is a bit disheartening that every quest in DDO is pretty much a slogfest. Even tho you can use skills in quests like Cabal or Crucible it's just a stop-gag than real utilization of non-combat skills. Have they forgotten that almost every campaign starts at a city or town and heroes have to navigate their way around. Perhaps convince local townsfolk to join them in their mission. Perhaps stop in-fighting as a favor to the mayor and then, in return, the mayor offers some of its resources to help the PCs? There's a lot of possibilities to develop a whole storyline based on skills and, of course, there could be tough fights along the way.

ProdigalGuru
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I support more diverse quests.

Myrddinman
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
/signed
+1 as well!

jadenkorr
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
/signed

I think DDO could use more of these quests, so that not every quest is a zergfest.

rezo
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Good one I like it.

Girlbrush
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
/signed

Louiey
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
/signed

Faelyndel
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
/signed

Variety is always nice and I think it'd be nice to feature something less hack 'n' slash and showcase one of the elements that sets D&D apart from other RPG's.

redgod
04-25-2010, 09:58 PM
be careful what you ask for your murder mystery soon equals wows deliver this letter to so and so or go pick 10000 berries

/warned

Artos_Fabril
04-25-2010, 10:33 PM
/signed

DDO needs more of the things that make D&D interesting.

piggiecrdf2
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
/signed
It's a great way to attract alternative playing type people in the game too.