PDA

View Full Version : Guide to stacking?

ConnorMacLoad
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Has there been any kind of definitive stacking guide created? One that explains how stacking works across all situations, and what the different things are to look for when stacking? ie: enhancment increase, feat increase, comprehensive increase, etc....

I did a search on here and the wiki, and did not really find a resource where it is all grouped together. could likely be my ability to search though....

Symar-FangofLloth
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
In general, bonuses of the same type (Feat, Inherent, Enhancement, Competence, Sacred, etc.) do not stack, but bonuses of different types do stack.

A couple notable exceptions: Dodge and Exceptional bonuses stack with other Dodge or Exceptional bonuses of different numerical value. So two +2 Dodge bonuses won't stack, but a +1, a +2, and a +3 would all stack.

I may have missed something, but that covers most situations.

KillEveryone
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Feats will stack with enhancements will stack with items is what I understand. Negotiator will stack with Skill focus Haggle and Skill focus Diplomacy. Negotiator has a +2 to haggle and diplomacy and skill focus adds +3. These will stack with enhancements and also items.

Bonuses of the same type on items do not stack. +15 haggle item does not stack with a +10 haggle item does not stack with +# haggle item. Only the highest value applies.

Tomes use the highest value also. +1 tome does not stack with +2 tomes does not stack with +# tome.

Exceptional bonuses will stack as long as they are different numerical valuses, at least on greensteel items. +1 exceptional stat bonus will stack with +2 exceptional stat bonus. +1 exceptional stat bonus will not stack with +1 exceptional stat bonus.

Dodge does the same thing but I think the +1 alchemical dodge bonus will stack with itself when applied to armor and shield, at least that is how I understand it. So you should be able to do: +1 alchemical dodge bonus shield sill stack with +1 alchemical dodge bonus armor will stack with +1 dodge bonus will stack with +2 dodge bonus will stack with +3 dodge bonus will stack with +4 dodge bonus will stack with dodge feat.

I've also read that dodge isn't working quite right and that you are not suppoed to be able to have more than +10 dodge bonus from items. I don't rember where I read that, could have been an old post though.

Kits
04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
A thread about stacking I have found useful:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=132720

Corebreach
04-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Bonuses of the same type on items do not stack. +15 haggle item does not stack with a +10 haggle item does not stack with +# haggle item. Only the highest value applies.
The reason for this is not that both bonuses come from items. The reason is that both bonuses have the "enhancement" keyword.

I've also read that dodge isn't working quite right and that you are not suppoed to be able to have more than +10 dodge bonus from items.
I find no mention of a limit of +10 in pen-and-paper rules in either the 3.0 hardbound books or the online 3.5 SRD. I only find the rule that dodge bonuses fully stack in PnP.

In DDO, dodge bonuses were only supposed to stack to a maximum of +10 according to the original 2006 manual. I don't know if they were ever actually limited that way. I do know that Turbine deliberately added the non-PnP restriction that dodge bonuses don't stack when they're from items and the same size.

KillEveryone
04-25-2010, 03:41 AM
I find no mention of a limit of +10 in pen-and-paper rules in either the 3.0 hardbound books or the online 3.5 SRD. I only find the rule that dodge bonuses fully stack in PnP.

In DDO, dodge bonuses were only supposed to stack to a maximum of +10 according to the original 2006 manual. I don't know if they were ever actually limited that way. I do know that Turbine deliberately added the non-PnP restriction that dodge bonuses don't stack when they're from items and the same size.

Wasn't the PnP.

Your second paragraph is what I was rembering reading somewhere but I think you can go above +10 on dodge bonuses. I knew it had to do with DDO and it was a post somewhere in the forums.

I haven't yet checked out the max dodge bonus for myself since I only have the Chaosguarde so I won't be able to until I get a few more items.

That thread linked by Kits does a good job of laying out what stacks.

I could be confusing people when I say enhancement and mean using your points from leveling, with enhancement bonus on items. While the enhancements on items do not stack with other items with the same enhancement bonus, the enhancements you get from leveling your character will stack with the enhancement bonus on items.

TasteTester
04-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Another excellent "What stacks with what" thread is Impaqt's NEW Definitive Guide to AC Bonus (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=205669).