PDA

View Full Version : New Player: Will I gimp myself? Wizard Question

nails105
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi there.

I've recently decided to allow my Son (6) to play the free version of DDO. He's excited.. (he loves WoW). I've never played DDO myself (but I'm a very OLD school D&D player).

He Slashes (Paladin)
I cast (Wizard)

I have tons of MMO experience... so I thought before I get started I'll ask.

There are some excellent Wizard Guides on the forums.

If I just "choose my own adventure" and not follow a guide will I gimp myself end game?

Is there any ability to reconfigure later? I'd hate to make some decisions that impacted my end game ability because I didn't choose the correct Skills, Feats, Enhancements, etc.

While it's primary "just for fun" with my son.. I don't want to end up enjoying the game and having to re-roll later to get accepted into an end game guild or party.

Thanks!

KingOfCheese
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Max out your intelligence (and put all level-ups into INT). Have a CON of at least 14.

For skills: max your concentration; take UMD

Anything else is fine and changeable in the future. Do the above and you won't be gimped for end-game.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
First off its much easier to gimp a pali than a wizard, that's the build I'd worry about.

Wizard is easy, go with max Int, 14 con (16 if you are warforged), and anything left in str.

All feats and enhancements you pick after that can be changed in game for a bit of ingame currancy and/or some in game items.

You can redo most of your character by purchasing an item from the store.

You may want to consider both going WF if you will be doing a lot, that way you can also double as healer.

He may want to consider fighter or barbarian if you want a "lower risk" build when it comes to the complexity of building them.

Goldeneye
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
A.) You can redo most of your character by purchasing an item from the store.

B.) You may want to consider both going WF if you will be doing a lot, that way you can also double as healer.

C.) He may want to consider fighter or barbarian if you want a "lower risk" build when it comes to the complexity of building them.

Lorien is right on.
A.) you can buy an item from the DDO store ~12$ that allows you to re-spec your entire character.

B.) Warforged is definitely worth buying. Wizard/Sorcs can heal WF melees - making your job solo-ing 100x easier.

C.) Great advice. For a new player, barbarians and fighters are much easier to build and play.