PDA

View Full Version : The traps are blowing up on my rogue...HELP!

Lord_Winn
04-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I have a lvl 6 drow elf (current stats: Str=17, Dex=17, Con=14, Int=12, Wis=10, Cha=10). Tonight while doing a level 7 dungeon, Gwylan's Stand on HARD, whenever she tries to disable the traps, it fails and then blows up in your face. My search skill is 18, spot skill is 16, but disable trap skill is only 14. After this horrible experience when I feel helpless to help my teammates, I used enhancement to increase the disable trap to 15. I pretty much stuck with a pure rogue, based on the prepared template. Why is there a difference in these essential skills. My goal is to make this rogue the "master wrench monkey". When I level up next time, should I not continue on the same path and instead choose my own path like maxing out on my search, spot, and disable trap skills as top priority. If you choose to modify these skill scores, I will still remain a rogue right? I just don't want to end up with a mediocre multi-class character. By the way, there are certain wands and potions (like cat's grace), do these temporarily raise your dex score; are there any potions for rogues that can temporarily increase their disable traps skills besides better thieves' tools.

Impatiens
04-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Heroism pots, if you have a bard have them inspire competence, Fox's cunning wands/pots until you have a +4 int item, better tools, items with +disable and +search on them (often found on goggles), whatever rogue skill boost enhancements you have. If the pre-built path isn't having you max your disable device then yes, move off of that path, you will still be a rogue unless you level up with a non rogue trainer.

tihocan
04-22-2010, 05:41 AM
If you are following the Master Mechanic build, have a look at its revised version here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660). In particular, this path doesn't even max out Search, which sucks a bit. But Disable should be maxed so that's not your issue here.

At L7 your DD could look like:
10 (base)
3 (16 INT with Fox Cunning pot or clicky)
2 (Heroism pot or clicky)
7 (+DD item)
2 (Rogue enhancement)
4 (Skill Boost III)
--

Add thieves tools with the highest + you can find (check the AH as sometimes you can find them cheap enough) and you should be fine :) (and you shouldn't need *all* buffs listed above, but as you can see you can double your current score).

MithrilSoul
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
If you are VIP or are P2P and have bought the Sharn Syndicate xpac, run the quest where you have to help the two guys defend their bar. It's a level 5 (I think) quest and I've run it maybe a dozen times in different characters, and I swear *every single time* one of the options for an end quest reward is a set of gloves with +5 Disable Device.

For a level 5 or 6 character, that is a really easy way to get a nice set of gloves to swap to whenever you need to disable something.

Lord_Winn
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
If you are following the Master Mechanic build, have a look at its revised version here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660). In particular, this path doesn't even max out Search, which sucks a bit. But Disable should be maxed so that's not your issue here.

At L7 your DD could look like:
10 (base)
3 (16 INT with Fox Cunning pot or clicky)
2 (Heroism pot or clicky)
7 (+DD item)
2 (Rogue enhancement)
4 (Skill Boost III)
--

Add thieves tools with the highest + you can find (check the AH as sometimes you can find them cheap enough) and you should be fine :) (and you shouldn't need *all* buffs listed above, but as you can see you can double your current score).

Is intelligence a significant factor in disabling traps? The preset intelligence for this template is at 12, isn't that a bit low for a rogue? By the way, thank you for the tips.

Impatiens
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Is intelligence a significant factor in disabling traps? The preset intelligence for this template is at 12, isn't that a bit low for a rogue? By the way, thank you for the tips.

Disable device is an int skill. It's not the main factor, but it's certainly important. 12 int is going to be fine as long as you put all your ranks in disable and have the proper gear and buffs.

Dendrix
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Traps only blow up if you fail by 5 or more I believe. You should be able to raise your effective skill considerably from where you are.

1) Do you own and equip an disable device item (gloves, ring or goggles normally) before you try to disarm the trap?

If not, you should aim to get one. You can get one with a bonus equal to your level (if your level is odd) or level -1 (if your level is even) - buy it from the Auction Hall.

2) Do you have "better than masterworked thieves tools? they give a bonus to your skill of 2 + the plus of the tools. You use the first ones found in your inventory (from left to right top to bottom). Again buy in the auction hall.

3) Disable is an int skill, getting an int buff or an item of +4 int helps give you a +2

4) Rogue (or human) skill boosts helps - once per trap :)

5) Heroism, from clicky, spell or potion also helps give an additonal +2.

Tyrande
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
+5 thief tools are for sale on AH under "tools". They normally sell for around 1000pp which should be affordable. They should help your disarm. Also get a DD item. So that should give you at least a +10 boost together.

Zenako
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
There are two Rogue skills you need to keep max ranks in for most purposes. Those are Search and Disable. If you cannot find the trap box, then all the Disable in the world will not matter. Disable since if you blow the box, the trap remains and everyone has egg on their face, most notably the one trying to disable the trap.

Level 6 Rogue should be able to have the following on hand.

9 Ranks (level + 3)
+2 or 3 (from INT level) should be able to have at least a +2 INT item, more likely a spell for +4)
+5 for a Disable Item (gloves, goggles, rings, etc) Korthos Isle quests drops many +3 items.
+3 to +7 for tools.
+3 for Rogue Skill Boost (lasts 20 seconds, more than enough time to disable)

This right there will get (using the minimums above) to 22 for the Disable skill. With some points in Rogue Enhancements as well, you can hit even higher numbers.

Keep in mind that when you run a quest on HARD that not only do the monsters jump in challenge but traps do too. Normal level 7 quest, mobs and traps suited for level 7 encounters. On Hard (while the quest level rating only goes up by 1 to 8) the mobs and the traps all jump by about 2 levels to be suitable for level 9 encounters. (On Eliite the challenges jump by about 5 level to be suitable for level 12 ecounters.)

So the jump from normal to Hard and then Elite is more than it might seem on the surface.

If you have a Bard with you, they can also sing their COMPENTENCE Song for another +2 to all SKILLS.

JOTMON
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a lvl 6 drow elf (current stats: Str=17, Dex=17, Con=14, Int=12, Wis=10, Cha=10). Tonight while doing a level 7 dungeon, Gwylan's Stand on HARD, whenever she tries to disable the traps, it fails and then blows up in your face. My search skill is 18, spot skill is 16, but disable trap skill is only 14. After this horrible experience when I feel helpless to help my teammates, I used enhancement to increase the disable trap to 15. I pretty much stuck with a pure rogue, based on the prepared template. Why is there a difference in these essential skills. My goal is to make this rogue the "master wrench monkey". When I level up next time, should I not continue on the same path and instead choose my own path like maxing out on my search, spot, and disable trap skills as top priority. If you choose to modify these skill scores, I will still remain a rogue right? I just don't want to end up with a mediocre multi-class character. By the way, there are certain wands and potions (like cat's grace), do these temporarily raise your dex score; are there any potions for rogues that can temporarily increase their disable traps skills besides better thieves' tools.

or most of your traps you should be hitting 20+ so at 15 you are a bit low.
When Levelling keep Search(Primary-cant disable if you cant find it)/Disable(secondary as tools help with this one) Maxed , you can sacrafice spot to some degree as you will get to know where the traps are.
Consider keeping UMD maxxed being able to UMD at higher levels is huge.(Heal, GH scrolls etc...)

Every 2 even increases in Int gives a +1 to skills. starting Int 12 is fine.
Track down a +2 int tome as soon as you can each level up from here forward will give you another skill point to invest.. the longer you go without a +2 tome is one lost skill point per level.. not critical but every skill point can be usefull.

Best low level boosts..
Potions Foxes cunning +4 Int = +2 to Int skill = +2 Search/Disable
Heroism +2 to skills replace with Greater Heroism as soon as you can.
Greater Heroism +4 to skills from UMDing scrolls or clickies from Planar Gird belt. or ask a wiz.
Prayer spell (from cleric or find a clickie item +1 skills)
Run Delera's and get your Voice of the Master gives +1 luck to all skills and +5%xp.
Skill boosts - Rogue at least the first 2 or 3 tiers. These boost all your skills.. use them in those tougher situations they help.

As you progress get the best + Thieves tools you can find, they drop in chests.. ask for them.
Tools in your inventory are used automatically based on where they are placed... closest to the top left front tab being first (like a book). should not have trouble collecting tools give away older lower level ones to lowbies.
Keep upgrading your +Disable device and +search items as you level.. pretty much should = your level.
.. so at level 7 you should have or be trying to find a +7 search item and a +7 Disable Item (allways odd#)
Get an Int item that you can swap in when searching/disabling traps

Personally I would not invest any feats or enhancements into +disable +search or others..
there are much better things to invest into like the skill boost, sneak attack damage etc...
With the above you will be able to maintain a better than required trap skill. If you struggle then consider Enhacements until your gear catches up then redo your enhancements. no cost associated just a 3 day timer and hassle of redoing your enhancements. Feat changes are exponentially more expensive as you level so avoid taking uncecessary feats.

Allways chose the custom option, the path options make some silly selections that are a complete waste.
Remember Primary Focus Search, Disable, UMD, Open Locks, Spot and then whatever else works for you.
..In that order.. the rest are personal choices like hide/sneak, haggle,diplo etc...
with 12 Int you will have 9/level, so lots of free skills to select.
No need to invest more than 10 points into jump as cap is 40, +15 from items and spells can get up to +30.
Tumble of 1 is all you need no benefit from tumble other than minor reduction in falling damage but you will get/have a Feather fall item.. although 40+ looks neat with backflips