PDA

View Full Version : What class plays well with a rogue partner?

Jaymes
04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Hello, everyone. I am just starting this game and trying to determine which class I should play. I do, however, have a very specific requirement, and would like to get some advice from more experienced players. I do have some experience with other MMOs, but I am under the impression that this game is quite different from WoW and other similar games.

Here's what's happening: My wife and I are going to be playing this game together. She has already decided that she wants to be a rogue, does not want to multi-class, and I actually already have a build for her to follow. What I'm not sure about is which class I should be. I'm willing to try just about any class.

What I want to know is this: what kind of class will be able to go out and adventure with a rogue as a duo?

We aren't averse to joining/forming parties for some dungeons, but we're really mostly interested in playing with each other. I understand that this means we may not be able to complete some dungeons on the hardest difficulties, but I'm okay with that.

My questions, then, are threefold: What class should I choose that will allow me to party with a rogue as a self-sufficient duo? Can anyone give me some basic advice on what kind of path to follow with that class? And can we play through most of the game as just a duo (albeit on the easier difficulties of the dungeons), or will we reach a point where we'll have to start joining other parties, and if so, when will that be?

DavionFuxa
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
A little bit more information should be provided about your wifes Rogue. Is she going to be an Assassin, perhaps a Master Mechanic? Is she going to have high UMD, etc etc.

Since there will be two of you, it will be possible to hire hirelings, so you could actually be able to complete most quests, with some practice in ordering hirelings around.

Symar-FangofLloth
04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I would say either something that can keep aggro off the rogue (a paladin initmitank, for example; paladin for the self-heals and +threat clickies) or a healer (caster build for CC/instadeaths).

kanbeki
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
or both, a cleric with intimidate

xanvar
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
If you have access to Warforged I would say go either mage or sorc with you both playing warforged. If not I would suggest dwarf battle cleric.

sigtrent
04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
My questions, then, are threefold: What class should I choose that will allow me to party with a rogue as a self-sufficient duo? Can anyone give me some basic advice on what kind of path to follow with that class? And can we play through most of the game as just a duo (albeit on the easier difficulties of the dungeons), or will we reach a point where we'll have to start joining other parties, and if so, when will that be?

I'd suggest a Fighter 2, Paladin 18... start with one level of fighter, then take paladin for a while, then take the second fighter at level 8 (to get improved critical).

The paladin will want to take either TWF or THF feats (your choice, but TWF requires 15 dex). Take the intimidate skill and keep it maxed out. A human is a good racial choice for paladin. Balance out your Str, Charisma, and Con. Get Wis to at least 10 or 11. Dex around 12 (unless TWF then go for 15).

Look in the paladin forum for specific builds but seek out the ones with intimidate.

Why?

1. Intimidate is guaranteed to pull agro which lets the rogue sneak attack and avoid getting killed.

2. Paladin can take a beating and can heal themselves fairly well. They can use wands to heal the rogue until the rogue gets enough UMD to use healing items, then you can both heal each other with wands and she can use scrolls.

unbongwah
04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
A cleric with a splash of fighter is the obvious choice, IMHO: you grab and hold the monsters' attention while your wife's rogue backstabs them; you provide the heals & buffs, she provides the trap skills; eventually her UMD will be high enough to help out with scrolls & wands. Focus on STR, CON, and WIS; 2HF for DPS, sword&board for tanking; max Concentration & Intimidate; I recommend either human for the extra feat & skill points or dwarf for the extra HPs and axe enhancements.

You could also play a pure DPS build and rely on potions or cleric hirelings for healing. But guzzling potions is pretty expensive for newcomers and the hirelings don't have the best AI when it comes to not letting you die - or getting themselves killed, for that matter. Better to be more self-sufficient and use hirelings or other players to round out your party, IMHO.

Zenako
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
First off you are going to be concerned about how well things go in the first few levels, so take all the end game build comments with grains of salt. Be aware that almost everyone makes some "oops" with how they build their first characters, even when following someone else's template. If the early play is not good, then the end game play becomes moot.

With a Rogue as her preferred character type, you will need a character that can do some healing and act as the main focus for sucking up attacks. I would frankly recommend building a Cleric for that role. You get a number of spells that help immensely in combat in the early levels, and it is easy to understand. A cleric (especially when NOT trying to run the most challenging quests on ELITE settings can fight very well) and not be overwhelmed.

As a Cleric you can have decent Hit Points, and all the spells make healing and buff spells easy to maintain without having to spend gobs of gold or turbine points. CLerics generally are best as Humans or Dwarves due to specific benefits (extra FEAT for the Human and more potential HP for the Dwarf).

tomfar72
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
How about a Warchanter Bard? Great buffs, good dps, DR song, UMD, some healing, and even CC. (fascinate if your cc spells can't land) Not to mention Hide and Move Silently which would work great with a rogue if you want to do quests "stealth style." Of course, a Spellsinger might even be better. You'd give up some dps and the DR song for more SP and much more reliable CC. As others have said, cleric with a fighter splash would work too. You keep the mobs focused on you while she kills them. It really depends on what you want to do. Personally I'm a big fan of the rogue/bard combo due to stealth making it easier to choose your battles, using charmed mobs as makeshift tanks, and the fact that a hasted/raged rogue/warchanter combo can deal out some impressive damage in a hurry.

Jakarr
04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Funny how no one has said another rogue or even a ranger(with nice sneak) or a monk(with nice sneak). Nothing is more fun in a quest then doing it with 2 chars that can sneak around mobs and take em out.

Another rogue you would have both with good umd so later on the use of res scrolls/heal and other goodies.

Monk good dps along with some nifty abilitys.

Ranger would give both of you a little healing with wands(and some spells) along with Resist spells which help negate alot of damage, Also you can pull groups and still use stealth.

Thou above all 2 Rogues would be your best combo.

Maxelcat
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Me and my Wife duo a lot, I play the rogue, she plays a ranger.

gives us a little bit of everything I have a high UMD so we're pretty self sufficient just the two of us.

DoctorWhofan
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I'd suggest a Fighter 2, Paladin 18... start with one level of fighter, then take paladin for a while, then take the second fighter at level 8 (to get improved critical).

The paladin will want to take either TWF or THF feats (your choice, but TWF requires 15 dex). Take the intimidate skill and keep it maxed out. A human is a good racial choice for paladin. Balance out your Str, Charisma, and Con. Get Wis to at least 10 or 11. Dex around 12 (unless TWF then go for 15).

Look in the paladin forum for specific builds but seek out the ones with intimidate.

Why?

1. Intimidate is guaranteed to pull agro which lets the rogue sneak attack and avoid getting killed.

2. Paladin can take a beating and can heal themselves fairly well. They can use wands to heal the rogue until the rogue gets enough UMD to use healing items, then you can both heal each other with wands and she can use scrolls.

You can go the other way, With 2 Pally and 18 fighter. I have a pre-PrE 3 Pally/8Fighter that is AMAZINGLY soloable, andthat's with sword and board and a Bastard Sword (poor man's Khopesh) I'd do 2 pally up front. Why? You can be a little weak in in Korthos. That area is pretty easy to do.

High STR, High CHA and a decent CON and you are good to do! You caneven go Itimitank if you wish.

ShortRanger
04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
My GFs rogue and I are in much the same situation.

I am Dwarven ranger tempest as the sneaky, hard hitting, meatshield and healer.

I can use some wands and cure lights are cheap.....

We tend to sneak most dungeons and backstab apponents. Or I pull them over with ranged attacks, while she stealths then backstabs.

It has been working well for us. We rarely use hirelings......

ShortTemper

p.s. No matter which build you choose, have her pay attention to her haggle skill so she can shop/sell for both of you.

Velexia
04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello, everyone. I am just starting this game and trying to determine which class I should play. I do, however, have a very specific requirement, and would like to get some advice from more experienced players. I do have some experience with other MMOs, but I am under the impression that this game is quite different from WoW and other similar games.

Here's what's happening: My wife and I are going to be playing this game together. She has already decided that she wants to be a rogue, does not want to multi-class, and I actually already have a build for her to follow. What I'm not sure about is which class I should be. I'm willing to try just about any class.

What I want to know is this: what kind of class will be able to go out and adventure with a rogue as a duo?

We aren't averse to joining/forming parties for some dungeons, but we're really mostly interested in playing with each other. I understand that this means we may not be able to complete some dungeons on the hardest difficulties, but I'm okay with that.

I would suggest a few things...

an Intimidation Tank, to hold aggro off of the Rogue and soak damage while she kills...

A Ranger to sneak around with the Rogue and provide buffs and heals, as well as assisting in combat.

A Paladin for a mix of the first two.

A Favored Soul as an alternative to the Paladin.

Zenako
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Not trying to pick on anyone, but folks keep in mind the forum this is posted in and the opening statements of the OP.

NEW PLAYERS, new to the game. Nothing Unlocked. Likely looking at core classes and races (not Drow, Warforged or even Favored Souls).

Need builds that will shine without twinkage or lots of gear or plat (for consumables).

Many of the suggestions made are wonderful if you have the stuff to outfit them with, but a true new player will not have those assets in game to do it with.

So it really helps to keep that context in mind when offering advice.

Stepping off the soapbox now....:)

ShortRanger
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I am an off the shelf, on the path, dwarf ranger, tempest path. and we work well together (to date I'm level 7 she's 8).

We both came in off the docks with no extra support. She hooks up with parties more easily but that's because rogues are in demand. She gets unsolicited invites, I have to look, but prefere our slow pace or soloing, (zerg = not my style).

As far as bank account we did fine just breaking every barrel and picking up every bag. Those breakables are part of your XP bonusses. And loot has value.

When I stand back to back with the rogue every thing around us tends to die, rather quickly. May their diety welcome whoever is silly enogh to face us when we are stealthed and shoulder to shoulder......

MithrilSoul
04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Well just speaking from general MMO theory, and understanding a little bit about the mechanics of the game, rogues generate a lot more damage when they aren't getting aggro. Thus it seems you would like a character that has the ability to gain & hold mob aggro (and survive doing that), so that your rogue can be constantly doing that extra sneak attack damage.

Seems to me that narrows the list down to Fighter or Paladin (or perhaps)(?) barbarian. Of those, the nice thing about the paladin is you have some built-in healing abilities. But in terms of which is going to be best at threat/aggro generation and so forth, I'm relatively new to DDO and never played a tank so I really can't answer that.

unbongwah
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Funny how no one has said another rogue or even a ranger(with nice sneak) or a monk(with nice sneak). Nothing is more fun in a quest then doing it with 2 chars that can sneak around mobs and take em out.
Heck, for that matter, stealth bard: sneaks into a mob, hits Fascinate, you whittle down the critters one at a time.

But a stealth duo requires a particular style of play and can take newcomers a while to get the hang of how stealth works, so I'm wary of suggesting it for a first duo.