PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back The Weekly Development Activities

Cyr
04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
The guard has changed and Warner Brothers is new to the MMO business. Here is my simply advice to them. Communicate often, clearly, and honestly with their players (customers).

Turbine used to do a much better job of this then they do now. Warner Brothers would be making a large mistake if they took the current practices of Turbine to be the best practices.

In fact, Turbine in the past had something that continually sparked interest from players, gave useful feedback, and showed the players that their concerns were being addressed. It was called the WDA, weekly development activities, and listed things the development team worked on during the past week. These included small things like fixing minor bugs to parts of much larger work like a balance pass at a class. It was immensely valuable as it allowed players to give feedback about upcoming changes quickly so that their concerns could be taken into consideration.

In short, bring back the weekly development activities and use the feedback gathered in this manner to improve the quality of the work product from the development teams. Your existing customers will feel like their concerns are being addressed, your customer retention numbers will increase, and your product will improve leading to more potential profit from new customers or new investments from existing customers.

Magnyr_Delorn
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
2nded, 3rded, 4thed, 5thed, Nthed!

AestorTheKnight
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
/signed :)

jarlaxle_dourden
04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
/Signed and Signed for my wife (She's Brian as well)

Sorry ... obscure Monty Python reference ...

Magnyr_Delorn
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Any word devs? Will the Warner Bros acquisition bring back our regular information?

DANTEIL
04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I wasn't around when this was done before, but it sounds like a a nice idea. If not weekly, maybe the Monthly Development Activities?

Eladiun
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
/signed

Angelus_dead
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
It should just be "Ongoing" Development Activities, without any "Weekly" or "Monthly" in the name to put pressure on the devs that they need to put something there on some kind of repeating schedule.

stopdying
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
/signed

Cyr
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
It should just be "Ongoing" Development Activities, without any "Weekly" or "Monthly" in the name to put pressure on the devs that they need to put something there on some kind of repeating schedule.

"Ongoing" Development Activities would be just fine. That's really how the WDA was when we had it. Lot's of repeat items week after week as they took time to do.

Gunga
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Yes this.

Doesn't his huge brain blot out the sun when you read this sentence?

OP: Close, but no cigar.

Faelyndel
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
/signed

Cyr
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes this.

Indeed, I agree with A_D also. His mamoth brain truly must cause serious neck aches though. Must be hard being him.

Karranor
04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll beat this dead horse with my torch!

/signed

Yes please!

Cyr, nicely stated above. :)

Mockduck
04-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Sure would be nice to have the WDA's back, it was the best form of community engagement I've ever seen by a video game developer.

Borror0
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
This.

I understand why it was removed, but I think you underestimate how much it was loved.

ArichValtrahn
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes please.

I saw a reference to this thread in the whine thread asking people not to assume what the developers are up to. Knowing what the developers were up to would sure help to alleviate that.

Artos_Fabril
04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
/signed

flynnjsw
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Yes this.

Like an Orange on a toothpick it is...

I bet he'll cry himself to sleep tonight on his huge pillow...

Sorry, out of movie experience...

/Signed

ahpook
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
complete agreement that ODA or WDA should be restored.

I understand why it was removed, but I think you underestimate how much it was loved.
I can almost understand why it was removed in the context of the mod 9 delay (though not agree). I cannot understand it's continued absence.

Borror0
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I can almost understand why it was removed in the context of the mod 9 delay (though not agree). I cannot understand it's continued absence.
They felt they were not getting enough for their money.

It does not look like it, but the process is rather time-consuming. they simply cannot post anything they want, whenever they want. They have to make sure that what is there has a strong likelihood of making it to Risia unchanged and not held back by QA. That process requires the CM in charge to talk to the QA person(s) involved as well as the designer(s) involved, and then compile the notes. That's a lot of time employee time, only to keep the forum folks entertained.

I disagree with the conclusion. The WDAs was the thing that impressed me most about Turbine, and it's what I feel made my first year on the forums so enjoyable. I think that Turbine greatly underestimates the positive and retention effect it has on the playerbase.

Stormanne
04-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Everyone is agreeing on the forums...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/CarianStorm/gh.jpg

also..../signed

Ranmaru2
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
/signed

I miss this old medium of communication. Sure it got big fast, but there's no reason they couldn't divide it up based on how they divide up their release notes:

WDA: Quests
WDA: UI & General Changes
WDA: Monsters
etc etc

That way you don't have to worry about a bajillion discussions all at once. I think Tolero has shown she can handle many different activities especially when servers have crashed or log in issues come up :p

Artos_Fabril
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
It does not look like it, but the process is rather time-consuming. they simply cannot post anything they want, whenever they want. They have to make sure that what is there has a strong likelihood of making it to Risia unchanged and not held back by QA. That process requires the CM in charge to talk to the QA person(s) involved as well as the designer(s) involved, and then compile the notes.
What, you mean they can't just look at everyone's time sheets and post a list of the items that got worked on during the time period? :P

Kalari
04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes please.

I saw a reference to this thread in the whine thread asking people not to assume what the developers are up to. Knowing what the developers were up to would sure help to alleviate that.

hehe I so wish I thought you were worth the infraction points for your attempt at dig at me :) but your not

Kalari
04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
oh and btw cyr /signed though Ive said so before bring em back please :)

Greydeath
04-30-2010, 06:21 PM
/signed

not that turbine typically learns from its mistakes unfortunately :rolleyes: