PDA

View Full Version : 0 day old question.

windwar
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi guys, i just download the game and goin to play soon. just curious about this game and wanting to ask few questions.

what race is the best for range character? what class use range weapon and also can solo in normal, aggro and mob place?

thanks for your time for my clueless question about the game.

DavionFuxa
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Elf has Racial Bonus' for Bows, Halflings have Racial Bonus' for Throwing Weapons, Dwarves have Racial Bonus' to Axes which include Throwing Axes.

In terms of Classes that best for Ranged Combat, the Ranger is the best, and it is indeed capable of solo play.

Some important notes though to include :

DDO is very party based, so it is likely you won't be soloing immediately but partying with other people first. Hirelings can be partied with but aren't as effective as other Human Players.

Ranged Combat while viable, is shunned as a weaker form of combat in DDO. It falls short of an acceptable DPS output and you should keep this in mind. For soloing you would probably only use it in the odd moment.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Ranged Combat while viable, is shunned as a weaker form of combat in DDO. It falls short of an acceptable DPS output and you should keep this in mind. For soloing you would probably only use it in the odd moment.

I'd go further and say he won't use it much in parties either...unless he doesn't want to get in many parties.

DavionFuxa
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I should probably do that and more.

I forgot to mention that Drow get a Racial Bonus to Shurikens.

The Ranger while best at a Ranged Distance, is really only best with Short Bows and Long Bows due to the granted feats for the class.

Now, your talking about something in relation to Mob Aggression. I don't know exactly what you might be referring too but I will make a following note:

Tanking works much different in DDO then other MMORPG's. In most cases, mobs will attack those who they hate the most - which usually means the person doing the most damage. Keep in mind though that Mob Aggression may vary.

If you are looking to hold down a mob on yourself though, you can for the most part - make the mob hate you the most so that they come after you. Hate is generated with damage but certain modifiers can increase the hate generated by each point of damage you do - IE, a Racial Enhancement that Warforged Have. You can also use a skill like Intimidate which when successful used, lock a mob on your for a total of 6 seconds. Finally, attacking and damaging mobs first will usually result in you getting a good aggro hold, so simply being the first to hit the mob can be a good way to draw them onto you.

If the above doesn't help answer your question, you'll have to be a bit more specific or perhaps play the game first to understand a bit about mob aggro.

windwar
04-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys for the quick reply.
i decide to choose ELF bow-user, RANGER.
i don't even have a clue about this game yet, i will try it out as soon as my error is solved.

is there any different between all the servers that is available?

anymore suggestion how to build and what i must know would be nice.
thanks and cheers.

DoctorWhofan
04-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys for the quick reply.
i don't even have a clue about this game yet, i will try it out as soon as my error is solved.

thanks and cheers.

Thelanis!!!!

ReaperAlexEU
04-21-2010, 01:57 AM
make sure you have lots of strength, dexterity and constitution.

dex is obvious, that helps you hit with your bow

str isnt so obvious depending on your gaming background. in DnD str determines damage and your going to want as much of that as you can get with the weaker ranged combat style

con is a major pitfall for newbies. you need as much as you can get because come end game your going to get hit very hard, and con means more hitpoints to survive on before the healer can tend to you. for an elf try for 12, do NOT go below 10. even as a ranged character your still going to get hit, a lot.

also as a ranger make sure you know when to use your preferred bow and when to drop it and whip out the blades. with a good investment in str you will be good at both bow and melee combat, and melee means more damage. at lvl 2 get a blade for your right hand, and something small like a dagger or shortsword for your left hand.

you will need a bit of wisdom for your spells come lvl4, but 10 wis is enough and the rest can be done with items (+1 item to cast spells at lvl4).

one trick for an archer is to take equal dex and str. then as you level up choose to put more points into str (you get a total of 5 points to spend by lvl20, nothing like diablo!). then choose the ranger and elven enhancements to boost your dex (max of 5 too). that should let you take both stats up quite nicely when paired with all the gear you will get.

you should find on lower difficulty settings the bow will work out great. but on quests that push your limits (over level or elite) the bow will show its downside where you just cant kill as quick as melee does. but the nice thing about a ranger is it can do both combat styles very well given a balanced set of stats.

oh and in terms of aggro, if you stick a passive mob with an arrow that mob and all its mates will set their aggro on you, and it will be very hard for the party to change that situation. so if you find your self in a quest and taking heavy damage, wait until one of the meat shields has run into the fight before you open up. there are no perches in DDO (well, any that exist get removed when the dev's catch up). another tactic that does work is moving to and from cover, step to the side, let an arrow fly then duck behind cover again as you reload. that works wonders on mobs that dont want to give you a hug.

good luck!

tihocan
04-21-2010, 05:24 AM

thanks and cheers.
You can for instance follow the Arcane Archer build in this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660).

Tumarek
04-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Yeah dont limit yourself to ranged. Get a high strength and Const too. Put all you leveling stats into strength... it helps with bow damage and melee hit + damage. As a ranger you get the two wepon fighting skills for free so you can be a good melee without loosing any ranged capacities.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Home is good for further information

katana_one
04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
And for the love of Khyber, don't kite the mobs when you're ranging in a group! Nothing will make people not want to group with you faster than you shooting a mob and then kiting them all over the dungeon while the rest of the party tries to chase you down to help. If you draw aggro with your bow then switch to melee when they get close, or, if you insist on continuing to use the bow, at least kite the mobs TO the melees (or firewall) and not AWAY from them.

Noctus
04-21-2010, 08:16 AM
And for the love of Khyber, don't kite the mobs when you're ranging in a group! Nothing will make people not want to group with you faster than you shooting a mob and then kiting them all over the dungeon while the rest of the party tries to chase you down to help. If you draw aggro with your bow then switch to melee when they get close, or, if you insist on continuing to use the bow, at least kite the mobs TO the melees (or firewall) and not AWAY from them.

This here is the single most important piece of knowledge to playing a ranged character!

Dont kite in groups (its perfectly fine when you solo) or you will find it harder and harder to actually find groups that let you in, as kiting is anti-teamwork. Highly annoying to the rest of the group, and makes quests more dangerous than they are.
Its essential to know that there is a time to put the bow away and start TWFing with the rest of the group. And "coincidentally" the Ranger class gets the full TWF fighting style feats for free.

To the point:
If you insist on kiting monsters all over the place all the time in a group, an empty partyslot would have been a more efficient and immensely more fun choice than you for the rest of the party! :eek:

P.S.
A well-played Archer will be an very good asset to the group he joins. A badly played archer will be remembered for weeks.

Aurora1979
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
+1 to the op for finding the forum and doing some research first.

Your already ahead of a great many new players who will be running round with 6 con and 10 str. :)

Welcome to the game.

Dendrix
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi guys, i just download the game and goin to play soon. just curious about this game and wanting to ask few questions.

what race is the best for range character? what class use range weapon and also can solo in normal, aggro and mob place?

Missile weapon using characters suck compared to melee weapong characters. If you are happy doing 1/2 the DPS of a hand-to-hand melee then go for it. Just expect to be weak and underpowered compared to melees.

Rangers are the best missile weapon users.
For Range damage (irrespective of source) play a Wizard or Sorcerer.
For soloing, some self healing is important, if you are a Warforged (race) Wizard or Sorcerer then you can self heal.

Kralgnax
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
*SNIP*

thanks and cheers.
Welcome to DDO!

Cannith & Orien are newer servers, but fundamentally, they're all pretty similar.

Generic advice: go out into the world, hit things, make friends, ask questions- but don't believe everything you hear - and don't be afraid to make mistakes.