PDA

View Full Version : xpacs to buy (or AVOID) as a soloist

MithrilSoul
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

DDO is my "second" MMO and the one I play when I mostly want to solo. In my other game I'm a guild officer, we do groups, raids, you name it, it's very social and it's fun but...sometimes I just want to "get away" from everything (and everyone! haha) and spend a little time soloing. DDO is where I go when I am in that kind of mood.

I've been here for about a month now, and enjoying it. I'm not VIP but I am p2p, and so far have bought Sharn, Catacombs, Deleras, and Tangleroot. Maybe one more that's slipping my mind. Anyways, my highest level character is now 10, so I am trying to figure out what to buy next.

I was considering getting Necro 1 which sounded kind of fun, until I read somewhere there is a quest in the chain there that requires 4 switches to be activated simultaneously. Obviously not a good choice for someone in my shoes.

So my questions are:

1. Are there other xpacs that absolutely CANNOT be done solo (with a single henchman)?
2. What xpacs in the level 8-20 range are especially "good" for a solo character? (And here "good' could mean a number of things: easier than normal to do solo, having end rewards particularly useful to a solo character, or heck even just "this is a ton of fun to try to pull off alone.")

In case it matters, I guess I would say my "main" is a level 10 ranger (actually 9 ranger/1 rogue), arcane archer build. I also have a paladin and a monk, both in the level 7-8 range. But honestly, I like all three characters pretty much equally and play them more-or-less equally, it just depends what mood I am in.

Any suggestions at all are most welcome. :)

tihocan
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Restless Isles, Vault of Night, Necro IV, Vale of Twilight, Devils of Shavarath have raid parts that can't be soloed (or at least, are extremely difficult to solo).

Btw Necro 1 can be solo'ed, there are plenty of ways you can activate 4 plates simultaneously (like hireling, summons, trip, spells, etc.)

LunaCee
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Far easier for a spell caster to solo Necro 1 for the floor plate sequence in the flagging quest...

Utterly avoid Necro 3 if all you do is solo. The tomb with the gears, the rat maze with the zombie adds and having to guide the rat, tomb of the blighted where you only can have 10 vials at any one time. Heh. Necro 3 would have you rage in no time. Not to mention the final quest in Necro 3 has that wonderful upper level room with the two far apart switches controlling the doors to an altar. Need at least one additional person for that one.

Oh, and the final quests in Inspired Quarter and Dreaming Dark are very very nasty to soloists. One savagely punishes opening the final chest solo, and the other has a purple named boss (aka raid boss immunities) with regeneration.

And odds are that attempting to solo the sections of Threnal with Coyle as a non-caster would be... frustrating. He's like a two hit wonder.

MithrilSoul
04-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Okay so that is a long list of things I can't do.

Is there...anything...that I can? lol

Morningfrost
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Okay so that is a long list of things I can't do.

Is there...anything...that I can? lol

That list is not so long, you can solo a lot of quests. Free content is mostly solable. To start, at low levels, I would suggest you Catacombs, Sharn Syndacate, Shan-To-Khor and the new Sentinels of Stormreach packs, not to mention Three Barrel Cove that I personally like a lot.

Also, the wilderness areas a soloable as well, slaying in one of them is what I do when I wish to relax for a while. They are free content up to level 10 (Ataraxia's Haven).

Baahb3
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Threnal is can be done solo even a melee, especially one with the ablity to heal Coyle. Knock him out put some resists on him, kill till he gets up then do it again. I use a hierling cleric when I do it with my monk so a Ranger/Rogue should not have a problem doing it.

The restless isles has 3 quests and an explorer zone that can be done solo but the raid would have to be done in a group.

The desert (menectarum) would pose a good challenge for you to solo. There are no 2 levers at the same time type of quests and you get 5 walk-ups, 3 other quests and a raid all of which have been soloed in the past, this would be a good one for you to get IMO.

Gianthold while difficult to solo can be done, even the raid can be soloed if you are good enough to handle it.

Over all I would suggest the desert as it provides some good quests and a large explorer zone as your next pack.

LunaCee
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Didn't say Threnal is impossible as a melee, merely frustrating =)

And the thing is you could solo much of Inspired Quarter and Dreaming Dark. BUT! There are things in place that make soloing the final quests in each pack a real menace to a soloist.

The only one I said to outright avoid as a soloist is Necropolis III, because it really is not solo friendly in the least.

MithrilSoul
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok that is helpful. I must admit I've seen the Mummy Wrappings armor on the AH and did some exploring (DDO wiki) and saw they drop in that desert so I had been considering getting that one anyways.

Totally off-topic but since it is on my mind...do the Mummy Wrappings armor actually make you LOOK like a mummy? I've always wondered...

Daehawk
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Totally off-topic but since it is on my mind...do the Mummy Wrappings armor actually make you LOOK like a mummy? I've always wondered...

No.

They look like this:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7026/mummywrappings.jpg

Baahb3
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Didn't say Threnal is impossible as a melee, merely frustrating =)

I won't argue with you on that point!:)

MithrilSoul
04-20-2010, 01:06 PM
No.

They look like this:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7026/mummywrappings.jpg

Oh bummer. Would have been fun to walk around like a living mummy haha. Thanks for the screenshot!

Angelus_dead
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
the rat maze with the zombie adds and having to guide the rat, tomb of the blighted where you only can have 10 vials at any one time.
Those two quests are actually better for solo.

Tormented: With only one player, nobody is standing around waiting for someone to solve the puzzle, or messing up the puzzle by trying to help after getting bored. 100% of the players can be engaged in defeating the obstacle.

Blighted: With only one player, there's never a need to go get the baggy from someone else. You always have it, and can zip back and refill whenever you want. Also, kiting is the superior means to defeat most monsters in here, and more players would just split aggro.

Stuttrboy
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I like Greymoon and Co6. I solo'd co6 at 10 though the one with all the imps is a pain in the butt.

Isolani
04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Not entirely relevant to this thread, but somebody above says that soloists are punished at the optional chest in Mindsunder...in what way? I have done this quest solo including the optional chest, but never in a group, what's the difference? Sorry for derail, just curious.

ArkoHighStar
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Not entirely relevant to this thread, but somebody above says that soloists are punished at the optional chest in Mindsunder...in what way? I have done this quest solo including the optional chest, but never in a group, what's the difference? Sorry for derail, just curious.

Your not punished per se, but its like any chest that drops special items, the more people there when it is opened, the more likely something special will drop.

LunaCee
04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Odds of getting at least one named item for your discs you farmed up. Even a full party can get skunked on the named items. Playing through that quest solo just increases those odds of not getting a named item.

Angelus_dead
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Ok, the situation is that to open that chest requires 4 discs regardless of the number of players in the group.

So a solo person pays 4 discs for 1 chance at items, while the member of a party pays just 2/3rds of a disc. But wait, there's more!

The partied characters also got more drops of discs while doing the previous quests. Instead of needing to do Shipwreck 2-3 times to make one disc, they got 1-2 full discs from a single run. That repeated penalty for solo looters is beyond what typically happens in DDO.

Isolani
04-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Ah ok, thanks. I just expect bad chances for named loot when I solo, I thought there was some special punishment for it in there or something. After doing it a couple times, the crystal discs are probably what would stop me from soloing Mindsunder much. It's a lot of grinding solo if you want to even see the optional chest, seems like a group of 3 to run through the 4 prequests would be the minimum effective number, then you only need to do the prequests once each to get discs. When you solo them, you have to do them up to 3 times each depending on your luck looting discs instead of shards. So it can be up to 12 runs of prequests to get 1 chance at named loot in the Mindsunder when you solo, yeah, that kinda sucks.

Anyway, I like the IQ quests for soloing, but I guess from a loot standpoint it would be a pretty long grind unless you are really lucky solo.

Edit: Angelus beat me to the punch, yeah, it isn't really the chest that's the punishment...it's the discs.

sly_1
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
At lvl 10 though I'd definitely recommend the sands pack. lots of variation int he quests, massive explorer area, nothing int here that absolutely *requires* a party.

The main thing as others have stated is that later on in the levels you will have plenty of quests to solo, but no raids. Most of the raids require a group, and those that don't are usually soloed by people why have end game gear obtained from running literally dozens and dozens of raids. So a bit of a cache 22 there: you can solo some of the raids, but only after raiding in a 12 man grp many, many times.

yk49
04-20-2010, 11:19 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Specific_quest_requirements

not complete list though.

sirgog
04-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I like Greymoon and Co6. I solo'd co6 at 10 though the one with all the imps is a pain in the butt.

I soloed that one on Elite in under 2 minutes the other night (Sor13 fire/cold nuker specced).

Before entering - equip your best Ice Lore item in your offhand, and turn Extend Spell, Empower Spell and Maximize Spell on.

Haste, Invisibility, Jump, start running to the right, while running cast Fire Shield (both), Resist Lightning/Fire/Cold, (clicky) Superior Freeze 5, turn Quicken on, jump through traps and cast Reconstruct at the first sign of taking damage, run to summoning portal, cast D-Door, hit the portal with Cone of Cold and Frost Lance (breaking Invis) then use the D-Door. Recast Invis, run to left, and in each room as you come to it target the portal, cast Frost Lance then Cone of Cold then Invisibilty, then after the final one D-Door out. (Remember to quickened Reconstruct through the traps).

I got the 'overwhelmed' debuff from red Dungeon Alert once, but didn't have any problems surviving. Completion time was about 90 seconds.

Potvin
04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Is the desert queen raid soloable?

level 14 light monk.

tihocan
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Is the desert queen raid soloable?

level 14 light monk.
Yes but it's not easy. Check MrCow's melee diary. Will probably be even harder on a pure monk.

Potvin
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes but it's not easy. Check MrCow's melee diary. Will probably be even harder on a pure monk.

check what? :D

tihocan
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
check what? :D
Search / Threads started by / MrCow

cdemeritt
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok, I missed much of this post... simply not enough time... But 95% of this game *can* be solo'd..... Solo'd easily? not always... There are only 2 or 3 quests that truly cannot be solo'd. There are many quests that cannot be solo'd by every class, and not all quests can be solo'd by every class....

A simple Example would be "A stealthy repossession"... a low level harbor quest... on a stealth build, this quest is quite easy at level.. However, if you are a non-stealth wizard, or a barbarian clanking around in heavy armor, you might have a bit more of a challenge with it...

I group and solo... my current build was not intended to be a solo build, but it has turned into one, at least for now... As a solo player, a great deal of the fun is figuring out how to deal with the challenge of doing said quest without a group (how to get these doors open, lever pulled, etc)... I also have to acknowledge the fact, I'm not going to be able to get every quest, and every optional, on every build...

To eliminate Adventure Packs because 1 or 2 quests are not easily solo'd, you'll miss out on some really great quests... One Example issued eariler was the Vale of the Twighlight pack... Yes, the Shroud raid is highly challenging, and not easily solo'd, but it also has 5 good quests, that are easily solo'd, and 2 explorer areas (one easily solo'd, the other a bit more of a challenge) and 2 additional raids, one (VoD)that has been solo'd, and the other (hound) I can't see any reason it couldn't be solo'd...

Kaldais
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Utterly avoid Necro 3 if all you do is solo. The tomb with the gears, the rat maze with the zombie adds and having to guide the rat, tomb of the blighted where you only can have 10 vials at any one time. Heh. Necro 3 would have you rage in no time. Not to mention the final quest in Necro 3 has that wonderful upper level room with the two far apart switches controlling the doors to an altar. Need at least one additional person for that one.

I disagree, Necro 3 can be easily soloed, the quest with gear can be done with a hireling. All you need to do is unlock the gears on both side first. Necro 3 gives 40% more xp than quests of the same level. But yes, I agree that if you are impatient, you are more likely to pull your hair our while doing necro 3.

MrWizard
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Can I suggest not ignoring an adventure pac because one quest requires two people when most of the quests do not?

I imagine you may be using hirelings at times too?

Enjoy the adventure, try a quest or read about it first. If it is one you cannot do by yourself you can skip it, but the rest are probably quite fun.

You will find the end bosses from gianthold on up are very hit point heavy though.

You seem to only want to solo, but perhaps for those few dungeons you could find someone cool to go with you and not 'ruin it' by zerging and such?

A lot of content at higher level requires the help of others to complete or you have to be an extremely well geared twinked toon with lots of experience to do. (although not sure with the new casual settings).

Either way, enjoy the ride that is DDO.