PDA

View Full Version : help me.....pre made builds and stuff confusion

ruddyheck
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey i have two class's on orien a wizard and a barbarian both @ lvl 3. Im just letting them both follow through on the "paths" you select @ start and same with stats. (only chosssing action point spends every rank). the barb is on the high hp path thingy one and the wizard is in the half suppourt role one (cant remember path names).

I did this not to gimp my first charchters, is this gonna leave me greatly disadvantaged?

further more weps confuse the **** outta me. like I have a flame two hand axe you get at the start and that is better than a plus 1 that costs way more but does not look any better damage wise? confuse's the **** outta me lol

like the game and think its awesome.....its just so diffrent from other mmorpg's ive played its confusing me lol. any help would be great.

Pwesiela
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey i have two class's on orien a wizard and a barbarian both @ lvl 3. Im just letting them both follow through on the "paths" you select @ start and same with stats. (only chosssing action point spends every rank). the barb is on the high hp path thingy one and the wizard is in the half suppourt role one (cant remember path names).

I did this not to gimp my first charchters, is this gonna leave me greatly disadvantaged?

As a new player, this isn't a bad option, since it lets you see how the game is played, and what stats are important where, without seriously hurting yourself. That having been said, custom builds will always be more powerful than the molds. Learn the game with the presets, and then, when you're comfortable, reroll them as you prefer.

further more weps confuse the **** outta me. like I have a flame two hand axe you get at the start and that is better than a plus 1 that costs way more but does not look any better damage wise? confuse's the **** outta me lol

like the game and think its awesome.....its just so diffrent from other mmorpg's ive played its confusing me lol. any help would be great.

Well, I've answered the question you asked, and the above is just a statement, so no clue how to help there. Yes, different weapons will be better in different situations. Remember that the starter axe just adds 1 fire damage, where other "flaming" weapons will add 1d6 of damage (1-6 damage randomly rolled) so they are inherently better (doing at least the same amount of extra damage, and most often doing more). Take your time, experiment, and see what works.

DDO is different, but that's why it's loved.

isldur
04-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Usually the ability scores that they give you when you start are not ideal. You have already made a good start by coming to the forums. There are plenty of builds on here for lots of different play styles. Find out how you like to play with the characters you have then find a build that matches.

Weapons : the flaming starter weapons are great. They add flame damage to anything you hit (assuming they are not resistant). This goes up against anything that is especially hurt by fire. I wouldn't buy a +1 plain weapon, you will eventually find all you need.

ruddyheck
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
thanx that helps alot.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Some of the paths are ok, some are HORRIBLE. I do recommend people look at forum builds first and try following them, but it is a lot to take in.

If all else fails, at some point down the road you can buy from the store a "Lesser" or "Greater" heart and go back and fix most challenges on your build.

Daliyn
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Tihocan has done some great work and revisited the premade paths (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660). You not only find some very viable builds in there, you also get an impression of the flaws of the originals. Which is very informative :)

tihocan
04-20-2010, 11:58 AM
For your barbarian, yes. The "High HP" one is among the worst builds you can ever imagine. Not sure which one exactly you picked on your wizard, so can't tell.

ruddyheck
04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
any recommended build threads for barb and wiz?

gonna start again i think.

tihocan
04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
any recommended build threads for barb and wiz?

gonna start again i think.
There are some in the thread linked 2 posts above :rolleyes: