PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, new player here!

Asfalter
04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Hello everyone, I'm almost finished downloading the game and would love to know some tips before playing, I've read the FAQs and the game guides and I understand the game, but if there's anything that I should know please let me know (For example, which server to pick in your opinion), since it seems that this game is quite different to the rest (I come from WoW).

Thanks in advance.
~Asfalter

Bronko
04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Hello everyone, I'm almost finished downloading the game and would love to know some tips before playing, I've read the FAQs and the game guides and I understand the game, but if there's anything that I should know please let me know (For example, which server to pick in your opinion), since it seems that this game is quite different to the rest (I come from WoW).

Thanks in advance.
~Asfalter

Greetings Asfalter

Welcome to the game. My advice is to play, have fun, and explore what the game has to offer.

There are a number of helpful newbie links in this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=173568) that you may want to check out. Be sure to stop by the character builds discussion forums for ideas on what might work for you.

If you have questions in the future be sure to post them in the New Player Advice and Guidance forum and someone should be able to provide you some answers.

Happy hunting and good looting,
- B.

arminius
04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
It is a very very general question, so my answer has to be pretty general too.

The biggest differences between DDO and WoW are combat experience and character customization.

Combat can be pretty involving, and there are different levels of involvement for each class--even melees vs. melees or casters vs. casters. There is no clicking on an enemy and going to get a sandwich in DDO. Enemies react.

Regarding character customization, even within an individual class is a broad range of experiences. Unlike many other MMOs, character customization has so much freedom that you can come up with something no one else has that is incredibly awesome, or you can come up with something so awful it is unplayable past level 4.

However, don't be intimidated by that. Building characters is a great part of the fun in DDO. No one knows what play styles they will like before they try them. Almost nobody gets builds just right the way they like them on the first try. You make mistakes, characters get abandoned or deleted, and lessons are learned. It's expected, and that learning curve process when you finally get it right gives, imho, a much deeper sense of personal accomplishment than can be gained from a generic MMO like WoW.

Kralgnax
04-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks in advance.
~Asfalter
Welcome to DDO!

A very useful thread for us WoW players is http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=197117 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=197117)- a guide to DDO for WoW players - some critical points that spring to my mind:

It's much easier to screw up your character here than in WoW, so either tread carefully or be prepared to reroll.
You can level up in up to 3 classes, but don't do that unless you know what you're doing
All adventure zones (anywhere you'll find monsters) are fully instanced - there are open explorer zones, but only your party will be visible.
Health and mana (well, spell points) do not regenerate at all when adventuring - shrines scattere throughout adventure zones will restore all you spell points and some health. Food & dink only work in taverns. Resource management is much more important in DDO than in WoW
Most +stat items and buffs DO NOT stack
Wizards, clerics, rangers and Paladins can swap spells freely but only in an inn, or immediately after shrining. Other spellcasters (Bard, FvS, Sorceror) can only swap one spell every thgree days at the class trainer & have to spend money to do so.
All regular vendors (including bartenders) offer repair
Spirit binders set your bind point, just like innkeepers in WoW, but there's no hearthstone. You can /die to get to your bind point.

KualaBangoDango
04-19-2010, 10:29 AM
The only tips I can give are these:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Loading_screen_tips

These are all the tips that show up on the loading screens. I'd recommend bookmarking that page and looking through them from time-to-time.