PDA

View Full Version : Hello veterans and fellow noobs.

ChubsMacGruber
04-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Brand new to DDO, in fact its still downloading...
anyway, other than my playing Baldurs 1&2, IWD1&2, and NWN1 i have little knowledge of D&D. I can't wait to jump in. I been hooked to WoW and a little LoTR the past couple years so mmo's are not new to me in general.

So far i gather that a paladin is a decent starters class, which is fine since i kinda enjoy the melee end of it, although in those older games i usualy made my main a caster (go figure).

thats a little of my D&D history. hope I don't bother you all too much and thanks in advance for having me. Any questing/gear/cash advice is always appreciated. I'll keep thumbin the forums for advice. See ya soon!

Lorien_the_First_One
04-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Welcome to the game.

Let me first recommend the best source of DDO knowledge outside of the forums, the wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide

That page includes some fairly straight forward starter buids - and most classes, especially when pure, are fine for new players.

You will find the first few quests on Korthos can be completed fairly easily on casual or normal by yourself if you want to get a chance to learn how to "work the controls" before grouping. I do however encourage you to group sooner rather than later. You will run into crappy groups, but also some good people. (And the number of good people increase as a % as you level). In my opinion this game is at its best in groups and it gives you the chance to learn from others, plus many quests off newbie island are designed for a balanced party.

When you want to group, DO NOT use general chat. Open the "social" panel (two heads, at the top of your page), and then go to the "grouping" tab. This is also called the LFM tab. Here you can see what groups are posted, or start your own. Do not be afraid to start a group even though you are new, no special knowledge is needed to start a group until you get up to doing raids in 10 levels.

ChubsMacGruber
04-18-2010, 02:37 AM
thanks a bunch. Been reading the paladin forum too to get a feel for where to start, but will go to that wiki as well. I wish I had jumped into this sooner, but oh well. seems its here to stay a while!