PDA

View Full Version : The Unique Set of Annoying People You Don't Find in Other MMO's

praetor
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
To start out, I am an avid PnP player, and find both PnP and DDO enjoyable. However, today I ran into a group leader on Khyber in a low level group who really started to annoy me with his commentary about PnP vs. DDO. (I don't know why, but I find that this problem seems to be more common at low levels) Anyway, as usual, we are a party of 5 waiting for a healer to fill our last spot. The party leader starts going off about how he doesn't get why more people don't play healers and how it's really not that bad a class etc. Usually I don't respond to such rants because I understand the ranter is probably just frustrated at having to wait around. Then this guy starts going off about how he is an expert healer and "has been playing exclusively healers since 1982" and that he's super experienced and that it's actually one of the best classes and that DDO players are idiots for not all having a healer on account. I decide to say "PnP is different, this is DDO" because I was getting annoyed with his lecturing, especially given he probably didn't have a character above level 6 despite all his max-level PnP healers.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion, but this time he dismissed me from the group. All i said was the quoted part, and I was dismissed for questioning his 28-years of experience playing a different game. I like PnP, I appreciate that DDO has a history of PnP, but what is uniquely annoying about DDO is that it has a population of people who like to use their PnP experience to brag about how awesome they are and how DDO players don't know jack...

stainer
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi Welcome

Goldeneye
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
There is a big difference between pnp and ddo.
the rules might be similar, but being good in one doesn't make you good in another.

DavionFuxa
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
It's just how it is for basing this game off of the famous board game. Though at the very at least, you didn't have to listen to him much. Guess you can thank that party leader's common sense in doing you both a favor in dimissing you. I sounded like you two wouldn't have partied well together.

die
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
In Before The Lock:)

Calebro
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
He probably mentioned 1982 because in the stories his dad tells him, that's when his father started playing back in the day.
Dropped you after that? You didn't want to run with him anyway, so be happy he did the work for you before you found out the hard way.

Lorz
04-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Rule #1 The Really uber players do not brag about damage or spell points or any of that.

In fact, they will most likely be quick to blame their abilities on :

"It must be the dungeon scaling...i usually just get killed here"
"We cant possibly do this on elite...with no healer...it is DOOM" then proceeds to own the quest.

Yup that is how you find those truly great players..they do not call attention to themselves...they dont have too...thieir play speaks volumes for them.

Rule #2 If they are bragging about HP, damage, their uber new weapon...etc etc....:

Generally this will only come from Noobs or wanna-bes.....

:)

Salsa
04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Other things that don't match PnP (just in my gaming experience).

Burning Hands is a useful spell in DDO
Bard are actually VERY useful in DDO

DDO != PnP

Lleren
04-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Rule #1 The Really uber players do not brag about damage or spell points or any of that.

In fact, they will most likely be quick to blame their abilities on :

"It must be the dungeon scaling...i usually just get killed here"
"We cant possibly do this on elite...with no healer...it is DOOM" then proceeds to own the quest.

Yup that is how you find those truly great players..they do not call attention to themselves...they dont have too...thieir play speaks volumes for them.

Rule #2 If they are bragging about HP, damage, their uber new weapon...etc etc....:

Generally this will only come from Noobs or wanna-bes.....

:)

So true. Not just here, in any game.