PDA

View Full Version : Little confusion about skill points, battle cleric

massiivne
04-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Im planning my battle cleric (18clr/2ftr). I was wondering how much points I should put into Balance and when, also when and if at all should I put one skill point into Tumble?
I have read from other threats that I should max consentration and then put remaining points into balance, but when I tried character planner then I was always able to put my skill points into concentration, so I cant really figure out when my concentration is maxed.

Kralgnax
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Your maximum trained ranks in a class skill (like concentration for clerics) are 4 at 1st level +1 / level = 23 at level 20 (plus stat modifiers, feats, enhancemnts, etc.)

Maximum trained ranks in cross-class skills (like Balance for a cleric ) is 2 + 0.5/ level, so 11.5 at level 19 (the odd 0.5 point at 20 would do you no good)

Since clerics don't have many skill points to spend, you may not have any to spare after concentration - I don't.

Corebreach
04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Im planning my battle cleric (18clr/2ftr). I was wondering how much points I should put into Balance and when, also when and if at all should I put one skill point into Tumble?
The justification for buying one rank of Tumble is unlocking the roll maneuver. Since rolling also requires a total Tumble skill of at least 1 after modifiers, you don't really need to buy that rank until your Dex modifier at least matches your Armor Check Penalty. For any lightly-armored character, that's usually level 1. For you, though... As a battle cleric, you probably have a base Dex around 10 and heavy armor. You're going to need some combination of Dex-buffing items, Dex-buffing spells, Tumble-buffing items, and more Tumble ranks to beat the ACP of full plate (which should be -5 on anything magical). It's hard to say when you're going to find all those reliably, but you don't need to buy Tumble before then.

DavionFuxa
04-15-2010, 05:22 PM
How you invest your skill points depends on how much base intelligence + intelligence tomes consumed by your character. If you are going to go with 8 intelligence, and consume no tomes - that means Concentration only, you won't have anything left over. If you grab 2 more int or get a +2 tome and consume it, you'll have some room for other skills.

In any case, regardless of what your doing, just keep in mind the following -

Concentration
Tumble
Balance
Jump

In that order you should look at skills and investing skill points. Now, you should perhaps keep in mind that you only get half a rank in Concentration when you are leveling up as a Fighter, and might want to hold off investing in Concentration for those 2 Fighter levels, but when Cleric you should be pushing concentration to the highest it goes.

I recommend all classes get at least +1 rank of Tumble, sometimes that rolling action can really help you out. How much you need to invest though is related to how much Dexterity you are going to have, including items equipped and gear with a +Tumble modifier on it. Really how much you need to invest here relates to your build, gear, and consumed tomes.

Finally, start looking into getting up Balance. You want this as high as possible, from as early on as possible, because you'll start feeling knockdown from as early on as the quest Redemption. As long as you are investing and getting a full rank for this skill, you should do so.

Special mention is made for Jump, which is a Fighter skill. If you have excess skill points, you'll benefit greatly by getting a little bit of Jump. Clerics really hurt when it comes to jumping, so investing a little bit in it will help you out. Since your getting 2 levels of Fighter, any investments should be made when leveling up as a Fighter. However, I recommend only investing in Jump if you have Concentration and Balance as high as they can go, and have that positive modifier for Tumble.

massiivne
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your replies, especially for the last one, now I understand quite clearly.

tihocan
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Just wanted to add as well: the number of skills you can "max out" (what the max is will depend on whether it's a class skill for your or not) is equal to the number of skill points you get to spend at each new level. For instance a cleric with 8 Int gets 2 - 1 = 1 point/level, so you can only max one skill (and that should be Concentration).

At least, this rule is true for pure class builds. Multiclass can make things a bit more complex.

sirgog
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Depending upon how you build your toon, you may not benefit from ranks in Jump at all once you hit endgame.

My heavily melee-specced cleric can selfbuff Jump to almost 50 (I think it'll be 49 once I have the last items I'm chasing), and Jump scores of over 40 are treated as being 40. That's without a single rank in the skill. (That comes from wearing robes, and a strength in the high 30s that will be 40 selfbuffed with a +3 tome and once I finally craft my ToD ring).

That said, investing in Jump will certainly help you as you are levelling, where it's one of the three best skills (Concentration is #1, Balance and Jump are #2 and #3, after a single point in Tumble).

Jasimine
04-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Depending upon how you build your toon, you may not benefit from ranks in Jump at all once you hit endgame.

My heavily melee-specced cleric can selfbuff Jump to almost 50 (I think it'll be 49 once I have the last items I'm chasing), and Jump scores of over 40 are treated as being 40. That's without a single rank in the skill. (That comes from wearing robes, and a strength in the high 30s that will be 40 selfbuffed with a +3 tome and once I finally craft my ToD ring).

That said, investing in Jump will certainly help you as you are levelling, where it's one of the three best skills (Concentration is #1, Balance and Jump are #2 and #3, after a single point in Tumble).

What did you do? Not spend level ups on wisdom at all? Just curious as I was playing around with a favor farmer melee specced cleric for a few laughs and have fallen in love with her to a degree so would love to hear more about this line of building.