PDA

View Full Version : Seeking hybrid class advice...

Syntax42
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I have played this game a couple times before it was converted to F2P. I usually got stuck around the level 6-10 range due to a lack of frequent groups and the increase in xp requirements per level. I'm looking for a class that won't have problems getting into a group, and that I think I will have fun with while leveling and at 20, if I make it that far.

In most MMOs, I enjoy hybrid classes the most. I like being able to provide something useful, like buffs, to a party and at the same time, contribute to either DPS or tanking.

I'm not a big fan of how they implemented AC in this game. Most MMOs count armor as a percentage of reduction of damage rather than a complete hit-or-miss scenario. From what I've read, the epic raids and such make AC almost pointless for everyone but the highest AC tanks.

I will probably avoid a hybrid tank build, unless it looks very awesome. I really want to steer clear of the Barbarian. It just isn't in my personal roleplay alignment to play as one. Rogues seem like fun. I thought a Tempest Rogue (13 rogue / 6 ranger / 1 monk) looks like good DPS and can disarm traps, but from what I've been reading, traps are almost a non-issue in the current end-game content. That led me to thinking about making a Bard / Rogue ( 15 / 3-5 / 2 fighter maybe). The other class that interests me is the Monk, but I haven't seen any great builds that I like. Monk DPS seems to be well enough below rogues, though, and they don't seem to contribute anything else to a party without multi-classing.

Along with advice on what to play, I have a couple questions about Bard/Rogues.
Do most people want Bards just for their buffs and songs?
Can I get away with not healing as a Bard, for the most part?
Can I disarm the best traps as a Bard / Rogue and still have high haggle, UMD, stealth, and lockpicking scores?

If you do suggest a build, please link it or provide a common build name that I can look up for inspiration.

GrandpaMunster
04-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Do a search for the Axesinger. I will warn you that the Axesinger requires a cha tome at level 5 and a dex tome at level 7. If you're willing to drop $15 so you can have the points to buy the tomes out of the ddo store then you're good to go. This is more or less how the build goes:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Burorn Barasten
Level 20 True Neutral Dwarf Male
(2 Fighter \ 3 Rogue \ 15 Bard)
Hit Points: 230
Spell Points: 488
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 16
Will: 12

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 22
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 12 13
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 12 15

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 5
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 21
Bluff 1 2
Concentration 1 1
Diplomacy 1 2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 5 21
Heal -1 -1
Hide 7 8
Intimidate 1 2
Jump 7 22
Listen -1 -1
Move Silently 7 8
Open Lock 7 16
Perform n/a 25
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 1
Spot -1 -1
Swim 3 6
Tumble n/a 6
Use Magic Device 5 25

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Level 3 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Spell (1): Cure Light Wounds
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery I

Level 4 (Bard)
Ability Raise: STR
Spell (1): Focusing Chant
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 5 (Bard)
Spell (1): Expeditious Retreat
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I
Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music I

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality
Spell (2): Cure Moderate Wounds
Spell (2): Blur
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Bard Charisma I

Level 7 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic II

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 9 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Spell (1): Remove Fear
Spell (2): Heroism
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery II
Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music II

Level 10 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Warchanter I

Level 11 (Bard)
Spell (2): Rage
Spell (3): Haste
Spell (3): Displacement
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage II

Level 12 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Spell (3): Cure Serious Wounds
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack II

Level 13 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack II

Level 14 (Bard)
Spell (3): Remove Curse
Spell (4): Freedom of Movement
Spell (4): Dimension Door
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage II
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song II

Level 15 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Spell (4): Cure Critical Wounds
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III

Level 16 (Bard)
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage III

Level 17 (Bard)
Spell (4): Break Enchantment
Spell (5): Greater Heroism
Spell (5): Mass Cure Light Wounds
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack III

Level 18 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Spell (5): Greater Dispel Magic
Enhancement: Bard Charisma II

Level 19 (Bard)
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II

Level 20 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense III
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

tihocan
04-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Do most people want Bards just for their buffs and songs?
Can I get away with not healing as a Bard, for the most part?
Can I disarm the best traps as a Bard / Rogue and still have high haggle, UMD, stealth, and lockpicking scores?
Yes, Yes and Yes.

Syntax42
04-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info. From what I remember, paladin auras were the only other significant group buffs that a melee character could offer. It wouldn't mix well with Rogue, though.

I will probably modify the Axesinger build for a 32-point build and try to include disable device. The build suggests maxxing Perform skill, but I don't think that is necessary. I would rather save my song uses for buffs than crowd control that someone else can do. Bards aren't the only decent CC'ers, right?

Without doing the numbers, I am guessing I will need a 36-point build to have all of the skills I want.

tihocan
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
The build suggests maxxing Perform skill, but I don't think that is necessary. I would rather save my song uses for buffs than crowd control that someone else can do. Bards aren't the only decent CC'ers, right?
That wouldn't be a good idea. Fascinate can be quite useful in some places, so that maxing out Perform is worth it, and you'll need to invest some points in it anyways to qualify for some Bard songs (at least 18 ranks / 23 max on a character with 15 levels of Bard, for Inspire Heroics).

Syntax42
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I'll see what I can do with a 32-point build. Like I suggested earlier, it may take 36 points for higher intel to get everything I want. I will take your advice into consideration. I forgot how many songs per rest a bard can get until I looked it up again. Having 15 or more per rest means a few Fascinates won't hurt to cast.

Syntax42
04-15-2010, 03:08 PM
I have decided on a build now. I based my build off Axesinger (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=195289), but I wanted to be able to disable traps and open locks. The only way to do that without sacrificing much in DPS or anything else was to start as a Drow.

Through careful skill allocation, I was able to keep Disable Device, Open Lock, Search, Haggle, and Perform at maximum or close to it for every level. Stealth skills are at zero, but I don't care. Spot is also at zero, so I'll have to depend on memorizing the trap locations.

Tome requirements are the same, except I decided to use a +2 Int tome at 7 for the extra skill points at mid-range (8-12) leveling. The build can probably be done without the extra skill points. I ended up putting 17 into tumble because of the tome. Edit: It came out just fine without the Int tome. I think I won't be using it. Haggle lags by 2 and UMD by 1 for levels 8 to 19, then all skills hit the cap at 20.

Feats are the same as Axesinger, except the slashing feats are replaced with piercing.

I'm happy with it. If anyone really needs to see the build, I can post it or PM it.