PDA

View Full Version : Half Orc Better then WarForged?

Rexmundis
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok, so from looking around my secret sources, Halforcs will have thus bonuses....

+2 Strength
Additional feat (1 more)
Additional Racial Ability Damage(racial bonus to damage additional d6 even 2d6 which can go on top of other bonuses to damage -- probably an enchancement of some type)

With this in mind will you take Halforc over warforged for melee classes?

DethTrip
04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
I highly doubt they will give them +2 str AND 2d6 more damage. That would be ridiculously overpowered. All you would see is half orcs after a week.

Aspenor
04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
secret sources lol is this a bragging post?

SaisMatters
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
They should also have -2 to Int and Charisma. So I don't think I'd make a Fighter or Pally with Half Orc. Would more look at a barbarian or ranger for them!

PopeJual
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm just looking forwad to seeing Kobolds as a playable race.

-2 Str
+2 Cha
+zillion Jump skill.

SaisMatters
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM

-2 Str
+2 Cha
+zillion Jump skill.

???????
I hope they bring in alot of other races before they even look at puttin a Kobold race in. I'd like to see Half-Elves, Gnomes, Dark Gnomes, and Duegar first.

stainer
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM

-2 Str
+2 Cha
+zillion Jump skill.

Yes, the little buggers can jump, can't they? 20ft straight up, backwards.

LargeMarge
04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, so from looking around my secret sources, Halforcs will have thus bonuses....

+2 Strength
Additional feat (1 more)
Additional Racial Ability Damage(racial bonus to damage additional d6 even 2d6 which can go on top of other bonuses to damage -- probably an enchancement of some type)

Additional feat? I don't think so.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-14-2010, 02:32 PM

+2 Strength
Additional feat (1 more)

What was your secret source smoking?

This is what half orcs get by the rules:

+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.

A half-orc’s starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character’s score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.

Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision: Half-orcs (and orcs) can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass half-orc’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
Halflings

No bonus feat. No mysterious racial damage.

Either your source doesn't know what they are talking about, or Turbine has gone against the normal rules and your source is a Mournlands player who violated the NDA and thus you shouldn't be posting about it here.

DavionFuxa
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
They'll fit in and people will choose them, but some people will still play as Warforged, Human, or anything else.

Gratch
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
No bonus feat. No mysterious racial damage.

Either your source doesn't know what they are talking about, or Turbine has gone against the normal rules and your source is a Mournlands player who violated the NDA and thus you shouldn't be posting about it here.

We can most likely be correct in guessing that half-orcs will get enhancements (the DDO bump) and said enhancements may include:
+2 enhancement strength bonus
-Possilbe fighting tactics
-Possible power attack bonus
-Possible racial att/dmg favored weapon (greatsword/falchion?)

This is the first race that is geared to strength (dwarf and wfged being con races). So there may be interesting enhancements around damage/strength that leave half-orcs as the best barbarian race selection.

With the +4 strength over all other races (+3 vs humans)... halforcs will have that edge... that said... people are hitting 80 strength via rages, rages, rages, yug pots, house d pots, +4 tomes, titan gloves, etc. So that +4 is a pretty meager %'age of your total possible strength. The only nice thing is that it is a static strength bump that doesn't have to be rage managed or clicky/pot resourced.

Though in the end... halforcs are end of year addition... if you're playing now... try out the warforged.

Flaggen
04-14-2010, 09:03 PM
???????
I'd like to see Half-Elves, Gnomes, Dark Gnomes, and Duegar first.

I'd love to see Gnomes myself. I used to have a capped Gnome Mage on EQ in a long ago time and place.

vindicater
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM

+2 Strength
Additional feat (1 more)

I already think they are going to take over as barbarians much less throw in that coveted extra feat and you probably wont have any other barbarian builds survive except flaver ones that is.
There will always be someone running around on a halfling barb somewere.

Angelus_dead
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
With the +4 strength over all other races (+3 vs humans)...
Notice that Drow have +2 intelligence and charisma, but no AP enhancements for any stat besides dexterity. So Half-orcs having +2 strength doesn't necessarily mean they can spend AP for another +2.

But even if the Half-orc does have a net +4 strength, they still don't have dwarf greataxe AP, elf falchion AP, or WF Power Attack for any low-AC monster.

vindicater
04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Notice that Drow have +2 intelligence and charisma, but no AP enhancements for any stat besides dexterity. So Half-orcs having +2 strength doesn't necessarily mean they can spend AP for another +2.

Bet it works that way though.

LunaCee
04-14-2010, 09:25 PM
There will always be someone running around on a halfling barb somewere.

Fear the mighty squeak!

As for the enhancements on the Drow side... I'm pretty sure the reason they *only* got Dex enhancements is because they did get +2 to three separate stats, and that if they had +INT or +CHA additionally as options that could get another +2 they'd be considered overpowered.

Guildmaster_Kadish
04-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Yes, but it would seem illogical to include a race without enhancements to any stat. With the example of drow, they do still get a bonus, they just picked a specific one of the three which get beneficial racial modifiers. With half-orcs, there is only one that gets a positive racial modifier, so it would seem to be extremely likely that there will be the standard +2 racial enhancement as well.

My guess would be, in order of likeliness:
+2 str enh
PA enh as wf
Bonus to incite

Twerpp
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Don't know the details but I am guessing Half-Orc, like FvS for example will be made way overpowered in order to sell them, and true reincarnate hearts in Turbine store.

Marr0w1
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
whats so overpowered about an extra 2d6 damage?
thats only 7 extra damage per swing, and I imagine half orcs would be more common THF than TWF, so that is only comparable to halfling guile (which even though requires sneak attack, really just applies to anyone who isn't main-tank, and would usually have a far higher attack speed in any case)

Jay203
04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
i'm thinking it'll get racial enahancement to rages rather than power attack or tactics
and it'll definitely have toughness enhancement

Maxson
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm looking forward to a half orc barbarian with a decent wisdom score (Daelin Red Tiger! :D)

Kobolds won't be a playable race, ever, much as I like some of the stuff that's been done graphically in DDO, they refuse to update art assets regularly/extensively, making armour models fit kobolds ain't gonna happen. I'm still waiting for a full plate model that has that sweet half plate model with the skirt, I t have a thing for paladins in battleskirts. (DON'T JUDGE ME!)

Ukenburger
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
and it'll definitely have toughness enhancement

Racial toughness is a given indeed. :)

However, it will likely only go up to Racial Toughness II because half-orcs aren't renown for being sturdy (no CON bonus), just mighty.

vindicater
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Don't know the details but I am guessing Half-Orc, like FvS for example will be made way overpowered in order to sell them, and true reincarnate hearts in Turbine store.

Here posts a man who gets IT.

Dcloak
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM
CON is to Dwarf as ____ is the Half-Orc.

Half-Orc will probably be implemented like the Dwarf enhancement line for CON.

They will be able to achieve the highest STR scores in game.

LunaCee
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Still, they won't have those sweet WF immunities. They still be a fleshy who will get held just like everybody else that isn't a living construct at low levels. Mwuahaha!

Halock
04-14-2010, 09:47 PM

But even if the Half-orc does have a net +4 strength, that's still worse with a greataxe than dwarf, worse with falchion than elf, and worse against low-AC monsters than Warforged.

Not if they also get AP's to spend on a weapon, i'd be very surprised if they didnt

Maxson
04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Though I suppose they're not known for it like dwarves are, I reckon half orcs are a pretty hardy people. There's a potential for some real interesting stuff here, with orcs playing a more important role in Eberron than just raping and pillaging it'll be interesting to see things like tenents of faith enhancements too.

edit: Orcish double axe for all you dual wielders, I hope. If orcs don't get a bonus to axes too I'll be pretty astonished.

Havenor
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM

But even if the Half-orc does have a net +4 strength, that's still worse with a greataxe than dwarf, worse with falchion than elf, and worse against low-AC monsters than Warforged.

Well, I don't see them introducing a race which cannot increase any stat via AP's, and logically, I only see two choices for Half Orcs to have as their increasing stat, being Str and Con. Since there are already 2 races with Con as their rising stat, I think Str is the likely choice.
As far as weapon choices, I can't predict what they will do, but I'd really dig it if they gave Half Orcs the same kind of bonuses to Hammers (to include Mauls) as Dwarves get with axes.

Ukenburger
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I don't see them introducing a race which cannot increase any stat via AP's, and logically, I only see two choices for Half Orcs to have as their increasing stat, being Str and Con. Since there are already 2 races with Con as their rising stat, I think Str is the likely choice.

They are half-human as much as they are half-orc. There is a possibility that the half-orc could get something similar to the Human Adaptability enhancements for stats.

LunaCee
04-14-2010, 09:59 PM
If they get racial bonuses to hammers & mauls I can just see a lot of people rolling up some TWF half-orc dual-wielding 5% weighted while running around with Stunning Blow as a must pick feat. War hammers iirc are a x3 crit that doesn't cost an exotic weapon feat. And they can have weighted, and crit range doesn't matter when you have something in auto-crit. +4 STR from racial is another +2 to stunning blow DC. If they also get some tactics racials... oh man!

Ghoste
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
i'm thinking it'll get racial enahancement to rages rather than power attack or tactics

Tactics is a fighter flavored enhancement. Warforged and dwarves get that because it's their favored class in PnP. Half-orcs' favored class is barb.

Angelus_dead
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Half-orcs' favored class is barb.
Thus I'm hoping that DDO Half-orcs get enhancements that duplicate the effect of Power Rage and Extra Rage, plus one to activate a rage even without any barb levels.

Symar-FangofLloth
04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I"m kinda thinking they might get a Bastard Sword bonus.
No idea if that'll be true or not.

Shaftronics
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I agree with the Bastard Swords. It fits the character. For someone who's human, yet not, needing to use a weapon in a single hand that's bigger than normal swords, Bastard Swords really fits the bill.

Axes are already flavored towards dwarves, so lets keep things unique eh?

REALb0r3d
04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
What about other negatives to the class? WF have healing "problems"/"advantages"... maybe a neg to will saves?

/looks forward to his str based monk :D

Shaftronics
04-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Having 2 negative stats and only one positive stat is enough of a "disadvantage" I believe. Especially when its ability scores.

Havenor
04-15-2010, 01:59 AM
They are half-human as much as they are half-orc. There is a possibility that the half-orc could get something similar to the Human Adaptability enhancements for stats.

I actually had considered that, but I have a feeling that they will shy away from giving any race other than Human any sort of real versatility like that, unless, of course, they can only choose Str or Con.... so best they can do is +1 to each.

Kyrn
04-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Half-Orc may get more str, but I don't recall any significant PrEs geared to them other than possibly House Tharashk Dragonmark Hier. Personally waiting for Warforged Juggernaut (to combine with Monk for the fabled Monk/Barbarian hybrid...)

epochofcrepuscule
04-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm looking forward to a half orc barbarian with a decent wisdom score (Daelin Red Tiger! :D)

Kobolds won't be a playable race, ever, much as I like some of the stuff that's been done graphically in DDO, they refuse to update art assets regularly/extensively, making armour models fit kobolds ain't gonna happen. I'm still waiting for a full plate model that has that sweet half plate model with the skirt, I t have a thing for paladins in battleskirts. (DON'T JUDGE ME!)

Daelin Red Tiger was a gimp. I liked the evil monk... even though his name escapes me.

NWN FTW!

Vinja89
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
anyone have an eta on when the half-orcs are coming? i was gonna get into this game quite a few months ago but life got in the way and i totally forgot about it, i come back all ready to purchase all the adventure packs and i hear that my favorite race is coming!

half-orc barbarian was my first ever d&d character in 3.5 so im a little attached for some reason, and now im thinking of waiting until the half-orc is released so i can get it and the AP'S at once. i know i wont be able to enjoy a character knowing im gonna ditch it sometime down the road and probably never look back.

mediocresurgeon
04-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Sine the Devs seem hell-bent on making Warforged Juggernaut mutually exclusive with Frenzied Berserker/Occult Slayer/Ravager, a half-orc bararian > warforged barbarian.

When Warforged Juggernaut is released, though, perhaps Warforged Juggernaut Kensei > Half-Orc barbarian?

(Eladrin, PLEASE allow the Juggernaut PrE and Frenzied enhancements at the same time!)

Quijonsith
04-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Maybe they'll also come out with orc double axes.

Kyrn
04-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Sine the Devs seem hell-bent on making Warforged Juggernaut mutually exclusive with Frenzied Berserker/Occult Slayer/Ravager, a half-orc bararian > warforged barbarian.

When Warforged Juggernaut is released, though, perhaps Warforged Juggernaut Kensei > Half-Orc barbarian?

(Eladrin, PLEASE allow the Juggernaut PrE and Frenzied enhancements at the same time!)

Something to note is that Juggernaut is first and foremost a defensive/tactical class, so in terms of combat/damage it'll not surpass any current damage-focused PrE. I honestly think it should've been a fighter-typed PrE instead. (I mean, look at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpts/epg_ppath_wjugg.pdf What sort of barbarian uses a shield?) Here's also hoping they'll allow other feats to replace adamantine body so Warforged monks can also take this PrE without absolutely gimping 99.9% of their class.

Lleren
04-15-2010, 05:02 AM
According eberron lore, aren't Halforcs ...Druids?

Shade
04-15-2010, 05:16 AM
anyone have an eta on when the half-orcs are coming? i .

Devs said sometime this year.

That's Turbinespeak for not this year. I'd bet on sometime in 2011.

Kriogen
04-15-2010, 05:57 AM
According eberron lore, aren't Halforcs ...Druids?
Yes. Ebberon halforc are very, very different from 'other' half-orcs. They count as neutral, almost good. IIRC half-orc druids (based on lore) where very important in that old war against invasion from other plans. Things related to Sorjak, Reaver, Velah, accient Warforged titans, etc.

Halforc are not (will not) better then WF. +4 Str bonus (2+2) is the same or even weaker then combination of Warforged PA enhancements and Tactics enhancements (or dwarfs axe and tactics).

Rexmundis
04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
BOTTOM LINE: Turbine WILL make HalfOrcs OVERPOWERED to SELL SELL SELL $$$ Greater Then Game Balance. Just Like Favored Souls (and wonder why they cost so much TP and are almost impossible to get through favor system).

If Turbine is ever foolish enough to put True heartwoods on sale from this point to halforc release I suggest you grab'em. Im almost 95% sure Halforcs will get some insane damage something something to draw people in.

FuzzyDuck81
04-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Yes. Ebberon halforc are very, very different from 'other' half-orcs. They count as neutral, almost good. IIRC half-orc druids (based on lore) where very important in that old war against invasion from other plans. Things related to Sorjak, Reaver, Velah, accient Warforged titans, etc.

Since they have the whole "druidic connection" thing going it may even be possible Turbine will head in a different direction & provide enhancements that will benefit clerics & favoured souls (dwarves get the SP line for cleric & pallies after all)? According to the eberron wiki here http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/House_Tharashk they're also an integral part of a dragonmarked house, i can see them potentially having a dragonmark line (presumably it'll be changed a bit from source, maybe see invis, true seeing kinda stuff?)

unlikely i know, but just something i wanted to throw out there :)

Kriogen
04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
People talk alot about Halforc and fighter/barbarian. For me they are NOT interesting as fighter/barb, but more for damage oriented Monk, Ranger, Cleric, Druid or FvS. More STR, but without Wis penalty and no use for Int/Cha.

Aspenor
04-15-2010, 07:38 AM

Halforc are not (will not) better then WF. +4 Str bonus (2+2) is the same or even weaker then combination of Warforged PA enhancements and Tactics enhancements (or dwarfs axe and tactics).

There's also the possibility they will get both the STR and Improved Power Attack enhancements....

Yaga_Nub
04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
WF will always be superior to any fleshies. Especially ugly ones.

Kriogen
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
WF will always be superior to any fleshies. Especially ugly ones.
WhileI do have WF chars and like them, sometimes I wish I would have a Summon Rust Monster spell that would be friendly-fire flaged as Grease :D

Ghoste
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Half-Orc may get more str, but I don't recall any significant PrEs geared to them other than possibly House Tharashk Dragonmark Hier. Personally waiting for Warforged Juggernaut (to combine with Monk for the fabled Monk/Barbarian hybrid...)
A monk with adamantine body?