PDA

View Full Version : Hello, im new too

chewyfuzzy
04-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Hi There,

Recently i became a victim of the economy ( ack layoff) so i have some spare time to play a few games. I discovered D&D online like 3 days ago and just have a couple quick questions.

I made a dwarf Barbarian (savage of the wild) and an elf wizard (Necromancer). Are they good "starting" choices for classes? I made a bard, but deleted it as i found it wasnt all too fun. I was a virtuoso.

Also, ive searched around and didnt really see and leveling tips. Right now, as im still new ( and delete quite frequently lol) the furthest ive gotten is to level 2. What i did was do the repeatable quests over and over till they got to "elite" levels. I havent grouped up yet either.

I like playing my Dwarf, the hack and slash is pretty fun, and im just starting the Wizard. I've played other MMO's before and found my playstyle is more "support and utility" then "top dps or top heals" and i cant tank for beans lol.

What are some good choices based on that, i mean, level 2 it all looks the same, but im sure at higher levels things change quite a bit, so im planning out ahead of time.

Thank you for your patience and advice. It looks like a decent game, i played the board D&D game for years, still have the original "red basic" and "blue expert" boxed sets from the 70's lol.

Mithran
04-14-2010, 04:30 AM
1. Any 28-point builds here on Forums which were posted by the veterans are going to be better than any of the prerolls.

2. For a 'support' role, you can't do better than Bard.

petegunn
04-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Whilst I cannot vouch for the premade builds there is a wealth of knowledge here on our class forums, what I suggest is take things nice and slow play your builds get a feel for whats required of them, try to find out what works for you and what doesn't, at this stage do not try anything too complicated bank that for later.

Welcome aboard and happy questing

petegunn
04-14-2010, 04:40 AM
As an afterthought perhaps bard is what you're looking for one of the best support classes in game (look for the warchanter builds) possible 18 bard 2 fighter for the extra feats.

Best buffs in the game, great + to dps through songs, self healing ,what more can a new guy ask for?

chewyfuzzy
04-14-2010, 04:43 AM
1. Any 28-point builds here on Forums which were posted by the veterans are going to be better than any of the prerolls.

2. For a 'support' role, you can't do better than Bard.

Ok, Ive been looking at the builds as well, i didnt really care for the prerolls, i like to customize everything.

So from what ive read, maybe i just didnt have enough patience with my bard.

Am i correct in assuming that the Warchanter is more melee based attacks, Spellslinger is more of a "caster buffer" and Virtuoso is more of a CC/debuff role ?

I think i'll re-roll bard, i just didnt have enough patience, it seemed kinda dull at level 2 lol.

Thanks for the advice, i think i'll be headed in the right direction after reading a bit more. :)

edit -- i played a Bard for years on another MMO. this game has so much different combo's, its rough to decide lol. For example, i dont really like Human race, was thinking maybe a halfling or elf.....time to research more while the food is cooking :)

KillEveryone
04-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Ok, Ive been looking at the builds as well, i didnt really care for the prerolls, i like to customize everything.

So from what ive read, maybe i just didnt have enough patience with my bard.

Am i correct in assuming that the Warchanter is more melee based attacks, Spellslinger is more of a "caster buffer" and Virtuoso is more of a CC/debuff role ?

I think i'll re-roll bard, i just didnt have enough patience, it seemed kinda dull at level 2 lol.

Thanks for the advice, i think i'll be headed in the right direction after reading a bit more. :)

edit -- i played a Bard for years on another MMO. this game has so much different combo's, its rough to decide lol. For example, i dont really like Human race, was thinking maybe a halfling or elf.....time to research more while the food is cooking :)

Warchanters are more likely to be in the thick of the fight but can buff the party if you have enough spell points. A item helps that adds to your SP. A CHA item will also add more spell points. Their songs have more to hit and damage than other bards. Their signature song has a 5/- damage reduction.

Spellsingers are more CC based and can play party healer, probably not really both at the same time but they can keep 6 people alive. The rest of the party will have to help in between fights but during the fight the spell singer can wand whip and cast cure spells. If their role is CC, they have good spells for that also. Their signature song gives a reduction in the needed spell points for casters.

Virturosos are the rarest of bards. Their songs do not enhance other party members as much as a warchanter or spellsinger. I'm not sure on the debuff part, they do get the songs that allow undead and constructs to be fascinated. The other 2 bard types do not.

Don't discount human too much. They get an extra feat in a class that is starved for feats. They also have access to human versitility which is the best enhancement a class can get. Maxed out in 1 package...20 second boost that will add +5 to skills/saves/AC/damage/attack. You just have to hit the boost you want. It is very, very handy.

A bard is a squishy class so don't skimp on the CON and get items that boost your HP and CON.

If you go spellsinger, stay pure. Max CHA to make those spells land and have a good SP pool. Don't expect to get into the thick of the melee too much since your role should be party healer or CC.

If you go Warchanter, take a couple levels of fighter. A warchanter won't benefit as much from the capstone and you will benefit more from the fighter enhancements. You can take 5 levels in other classes and still get all the buffing songs a bard can play. 4 levels of fighter will get you access to the second fighter attack haste boost(stacks with the haste spell). Throw in a level of barbarian for the rage, cast the rage spell(they will stack) and you can pound on stuff very nicely. If you do multiclass, start with the bard first. You will have way more skill points to distrubute at the start than if you started with another class.

There is a character planner - http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/DDOCharGen.html The planner is nice to help you decide what and when to take something and see how many extra feats you can get when you splash a few levels of fighter.

Gadget2775
04-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Highly reccomend you check out Ollathir's: Some Helpful Forum Post links for New Players. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=170873)

Specifically the Templates for New Players (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147492) and Revisiting paths: Builds for new players (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660). Lots of good information avaliable. Hope the links help.

woundead85
04-14-2010, 06:00 AM
I advise for any new player to roll simple toon - either melee (fighter preferred) or cleric (heals only). These have pretty much basic roles, they good at what they do. Don't be afraid to screw up your toon, I had hundreds of rerolls.
What you need to do is ask questions along the way. Look at other classes/roles behavior.
The gameplay at the beginning is very different from gameplay further ahead, just play your simple toon till you get the hang on different mechanics and aspects of the game. This game is probably like nothing you've seen before, a learning curve is due.
If you want, you can roll a toon on Khyber and try to catch me in the game. I play usually 6-11pm GMT (I'm EU based). Toon name Dragcloud. Have no trouble at all helping out with starting your way in this great game.

Daliyn
04-14-2010, 06:02 AM
If you wanna go Warchanter, you could also have a look into the Axesinger build (dwarven bard with a splash of fighter and rogue, 28 pt), just search the bard forum.

Noctus
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
If you wanna go Warchanter, you could also have a look into the Axesinger build (dwarven bard with a splash of fighter and rogue, 28 pt), just search the bard forum.

Would have advised the same.

chewyfuzzy
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I advise for any new player to roll simple toon - either melee (fighter preferred) or cleric (heals only). These have pretty much basic roles, they good at what they do. Don't be afraid to screw up your toon, I had hundreds of rerolls.
What you need to do is ask questions along the way. Look at other classes/roles behavior.
The gameplay at the beginning is very different from gameplay further ahead, just play your simple toon till you get the hang on different mechanics and aspects of the game. This game is probably like nothing you've seen before, a learning curve is due.
If you want, you can roll a toon on Khyber and try to catch me in the game. I play usually 6-11pm GMT (I'm EU based). Toon name Dragcloud. Have no trouble at all helping out with starting your way in this great game.

Thanks alot for the offer of help. You're right about this game, it has a TON of information (builds, feats..ect) and i think thats one thing i like is the depth of customization.

I think im going to try out the Axesinger, it looks interesting. Im not afraid to re-roll lol thats for sure. I havent progressed far enough, just tinkering around with different starting stuff right now.

Ive read the several bard posts on builds ( 15bard/2fighter/2rogue )(18bard/2fighter) and ive noticed that there's alot of customization at that level too. I mean..Pure 20 bard vs 16bard/2barb/2rogue. i guess it depends on what ya wanna do at those levels.

Thanks for the links too Gadget, those helped alot, albiet...reading for 2hrs is ..zzz lol. It helped by comparison of builds VS other builds, and gave me new options to barding as well.

Screw it ..im making a fighter lol j/k THANKS AGAIN.

GrandpaMunster
04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi There,

Recently i became a victim of the economy ( ack layoff) so i have some spare time to play a few games. I discovered D&D online like 3 days ago and just have a couple quick questions.

I'd like to extend a hearty welcome to DDO and an even more hearty welcome to the laid off club. I have a dwarf barb following shades dps build and it is a lot of fun. If you want to know the finer points of that build just do a search for shade and dps and it should pop up.

I see someone has pointed you in the direction of the axesinger and I will caution you against that for now. The AxeSinger is fun my dwarven axesinger is only level 3 BUT it requires a +1 cha tome at level 5 and a +1 dex tome at level 7. These items are expensive and in all honesty they're why my axesinger is still level 3 because I'm attempting to use another character to earn the tomes he needs to advance. On Thelanis I think the cheapest I've seen a cha tome is around 37k gold and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a dex tome for less than 100k gold.
I would advise you look here for a build http://ddowiki.com/page/How_I_Build_My_Toons

The templates for new players should have some 28 point builds that aren't too bad. I have a whirling dervish and my eventual axesinger on orien and a shades barb and an eventual axesinger on thelanis. I have an axesinger on each server because I intend to team the singer on thelanis with my wifes character who is going to be a whirling dervish.

If you're on thelanis feel free to look me up my barbs name is thourt or something of that nature. There's a way to look up my toons on here but I'm not sure how anyway good luck.

Gadget2775
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
**SNIP**
Thanks for the links too Gadget, those helped alot, albiet...reading for 2hrs is ..zzz lol. It helped by comparison of builds VS other builds, and gave me new options to barding as well.
**SNIP*

Glad to hear the links helped...So many possibilites out there for all the builds that I've found it really helps if you can see some pre-made, new player friendly ideas. Just hope you didn't fall asleep while reading, wouldn't want to run a new player off by causing a concusion when their head hits the keyboard ;)