PDA

View Full Version : Rule #1 for first-time runs!

bokaboka
04-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Scenario 1 (Bargain of Blood/Sentinels): My favor run is in progress with a standing LFM. A barb joins and promptly proceeds to hit the wrong lever. Kills himself, the human cleric, and the hireling cleric. I wipe on the boss.

Scenario 2 (Maze of Madness/Gianthold): A different toon of mine gets an invite to run with a PUG. I accept and promptly mention that I've never done it before. I hadn't even gotten around to visiting my recent Gianthold purchase, so I use my quest compendium to figure out who the quest giver is. I use my minimap and teammates' blue dots to find the entrance. I stay with the crew and DON'T touch levers. I don't get anyone killed and I don't get myself killed (despite this being easily my most gimped-out toon).

I mean with all the trapped stuff in DDO... Do I really even have to say it? lol

Lleren
04-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Sadly yes.
If you don't know the quest or raid.
or you think you do, and you aren't leading.
Don't touch the shiney red button.

Just let one person take care of the levers and doors.

Note: Having the star does not always mean they leading =p

FluffyCalico
04-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Having the star and having evasion or high reflex are not the same things. Also those without evasion or reflex are usually the ones who like to run ahead and pull levers...GH elite may break them of this habit. But some keep this habit all the way til 20.

Mirimon
04-13-2010, 02:35 AM
So to recap in case it wasn't understood: the lesson of rule one is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBbKlI0p8lQ&feature=related
(it's a family guy clip to those wondering)

sainy_matthew
04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Yeah, but you don't want to be paralyzed with fear that touching something may cause entire party to die. If you know there is a booby-trapped object warn everyone at the start of the run. I do that everytime i play through The Butchers Path, because even high level players forget somethings.

-M

Temko
04-13-2010, 02:54 AM
Note: Having the star does not always mean they leading =p

this is the big one.
i often open up LFM and becouse of my long break i really dont remember many quests perfectly. so i let the most levelheaded person take the pace (usually healer).

FluffyCalico
04-13-2010, 02:56 AM
If you know there is a booby-trapped object warn everyone at the start of the run.
-M

This is a good way of ruining the dungeon for first timers. If you know there are new people you should let them experience the dungeon. Not ruin it for them with spoilers.

Mjoll
04-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Always let the first timers open the hidden door leading to the "secret chest that might hold a +2 tome" from the NE corridor in Foundation of Discord. Always.

sephiroth1084
04-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Having the star and having evasion or high reflex are not the same things. Also those without evasion or reflex are usually the ones who like to run ahead and pull levers...GH elite may break them of this habit. But some keep this habit all the way til 20.
Actually, I notice just as many people with Evasion doing the same (and dying).

Evasion is NOT a license to be stupid!

Jasimine
04-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Actually, I notice just as many people with Evasion doing the same (and dying).

Evasion is NOT a license to be stupid!

But the License bureau said it was!

Zachski
04-13-2010, 04:17 AM
This is a good way of ruining the dungeon for first timers. If you know there are new people you should let them experience the dungeon. Not ruin it for them with spoilers.

Spoilers?

Uhh, if you see someone towards a hidden 50 foot drop of death in real life, you wouldn't let them experience the fall because you'd be "ruining real life with spoilers". No, you'd warn them.

You're a horrible teammate.

Mirimon
04-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Spoilers?

Uhh, if you see someone towards a hidden 50 foot drop of death in real life, you wouldn't let them experience the fall because you'd be "ruining real life with spoilers". No, you'd warn them.

ahhh.... but in real life I couldn't cast grease in the hallway leading to the traps of instant death to explain the importance of staying with the team... then cast raise dead when the lesson is learned

Could also say, I wouldnt.... but someone from the tv show highlander's would :D

ReaperAlexEU
04-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Spoilers?

a good trap is like a good firework, it makes you go "ooh" and "ahhh" and if the dungeon designer is really good it might even make you wince. :)

when i know i can handle a quest easily i'll happily let a first timer experience the quest properly. they learn it a lot better if they are choosing which way to go and get to see all the fun pit falls properly.

if however the group is more after an easy completion then i will give directions and warnings. it all depends on the dynamic of the group.

remember, this game isnt black and white, we have full colour monitors these days :)

edit: only quoted Zachski for the 50' drop vs firework bit, rest of my post was for the thread in general. spoilers are good and bad depending on what the group wants.

bokaboka
04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
True, I avoid spoilers sometimes :)

But there is a huge difference between watching a newbie kill themselves and having a newbie wipe the whole squad. The crew gets a good laugh vs the crew just wasted a lot of time.

As far as specifics, I didn't say anything cuz I had already hit the correct lever and opened the door. That's the only reason i survived (however briefly). Lol it wasn't very funny at the time, but a good night's sleep kinda makes me see it in a different light.

Angelus_dead
04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Scenario 1 (Bargain of Blood/Sentinels): My favor run is in progress with a standing LFM. A barb joins and promptly proceeds to hit the wrong lever. Kills himself, the human cleric, and the hireling cleric. I wipe on the boss.
Why did those people dying from a trap lever have any relation to you dying from the boss?

JoeSkull
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Why did those people dying from a trap lever have any relation to you dying from the boss?because he killed himself and 2 clerics.

nanobot1994
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
But there is a huge difference between watching a newbie kill themselves and having a newbie wipe the whole squad. The crew gets a good laugh vs the crew just wasted a lot of time.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

So.. the newb dies anyway? isnt this kinda elitist? You just basically said he dies anyway, and implied that you'd intentionally do this. =( oh well.

bokaboka
04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
So.. the newb dies anyway? isnt this kinda elitist? You just basically said he dies anyway, and implied that you'd intentionally do this. =( oh well.

Do I intentionally encourage people to kill their toons. No not really, as it kills my Flawless xp bonus.

But it's kind of a bonding experience when 5 people are standing there watching this happen in slow mo thinking "stooopppp, nooooo" but not being able to get the message across in time.

There is just something hilarious about it sometimes. If enormous spikes absolutely annihilating someone isn't the definition of comedy, I just don't know what is. ;) If the victim can join in the laugh, then all the better.

Zachski
04-14-2010, 12:50 AM
The solution, then, is for the newbies to stick with the main group.

That begets another problem, though. Most groups just... move too quickly. At least from what I've read.

*Will most likely be the newbie to pull a switch, trying to be helpful, only to get impaled.*

k0ukla
04-14-2010, 12:56 AM
it comes from being a noob and making this mistake one time to learn from it... i did.. if they dont learn after the first time perhaps then u have a real problem...

ReaperAlexEU
04-14-2010, 06:59 AM
depends entirely on how its done. if you put me in a new quest i've never done before i'll be very happy to blunder into each and every trap going "oooh" and "ahhh" as my poor toon suffers at the hands of an evil quest designer. for some people that is a lot of fun, and its completely ruined when spoilers are freely flowing.

now, if i'm in a raid for the first time then i will ask for all the spoilers i can get, its a different situation and i want to be sure i'm helping as best i can.

so, when i'm running the same old quest and find out there is a newbie with me i might ask if they want spoilers or not. sometimes i will even drop a pug and take the newbie with me to duo some stuff so they get to enjoy a new quest properly. other times i'll be in a group full of newbies and the general consensus will be for me to guide them through. took 5 newbies through xorion cypher and while most of them had tried before i managed to guide the pug through and get everyone their first completion.

when it comes to letting newbies find the pit falls the hard way elitism doesnt come into it, its far more elitist to zerg to the end and get completion and RC before the newbie is half way across the map, and then gets killed by going down the wrong tunnel all on their own because they have no idea which way the zerger went.