PDA

View Full Version : Noob Soloist lvl 6 getting creamed

ThreeFinger
04-11-2010, 07:06 AM
I've been playing DDO for about 2 months and have a level 6 elf (4ranger/1ro/1fighter). I've been playing solo with hirelings. I attempted Lair of Summoning on normal with a cleric hireling: took the left path, approached the chest in the middle, the gates went down and the Fire and Ice mephits had us down in about 10 seconds - I couldn't even land a blow. Have I reached the level where one has to group in order to succeed or am I just a crummy player?

Limey
04-11-2010, 07:13 AM
In general it's more time efficent to group. Some quests are harder to solo than others though.

Aurora1979
04-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I would say, unless your fairly well equiped, Its more a case of biting off more then you can chew. As opposed to you being a bad player.

Effectivly your trying to fight as a level 4 in a level 5 quest. Also you need fire resistence in there but thats pretty obvious.

taurean430
04-11-2010, 07:16 AM
I am not a veteran player.

That said, I offer you the following suggestions:

1. The room you speak of in the Lair of Summoning has a trap box on it that can be found on the far wall when you walk into the room. It disables the elemental jets in the middle of the room that fire off (in addition to the mephit spawn), don't step into the middle of the room. Disable that trap to minimize damage taken. To reach the box, you must travel along the border of the room and not step into the middle.

2. If the trap is disabled, and you use resist fire/cold (as a ranger you should have the spell) the mephits are irritating, but not deadly. If for some reason you are not using that spell, drink pots. Or get the buffs from House J or House P.

3. Parking your cleric in a safe area makes a big difference in soloing. They have a tendency to either aggro on things you don't see yet, or dance in traps, or other equally silly things. Summon a hireling when you need them only. It saves lots of frustration imho.

4. That chest is locked, be prepared to pick it following the fight. And I've never seen any loot worthy of the trouble drop from that chest.

I hope this is helpful to you...

vVAnjilaVv
04-11-2010, 07:16 AM
I've been playing DDO for about 2 months and have a level 6 elf (4ranger/1ro/1fighter). I've been playing solo with hirelings. I attempted Lair of Summoning on normal with a cleric hireling: took the left path, approached the chest in the middle, the gates went down and the Fire and Ice mephits had us down in about 10 seconds - I couldn't even land a blow. Have I reached the level where one has to group in order to succeed or am I just a crummy player?

I can tell u exactly why u died so fast in that fight......Ice Mephits spam force missiles and Fire mephits spam scorching ray.

Get a fire resist 20 potion and a shield clicky and u'll probably do a little better. Mephits also have regeneration so u need to be able to kill them quickly.

FuzzyDuck81
04-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Grouping is generally better, but soloing is still totally possible, though trickier with your build since you'll be needing more wand-whips & potions to fully refill your HP. Since you werent expecting the ambush, it was probably just bad luck - get hold of a resist energy wand (with only 4 ranger levels your mana wont be great yet & rams might is better use of the limited supply) & buff yourself with that first, it'll make all the difference.
Part of the problem with mephits too is their habit of immediately summoning a second one, which means a simple "oh, just 2, no worries" fight becomes crowded very quickly (luckily the summoned mephits cannot themselves summon another)
Also, you can ignore that chest if you want by just skirting round the outside of the room... the "lost" loot is probably counterbalanced by not having to spend resources to get it in the first place.

vVAnjilaVv
04-11-2010, 07:24 AM
To be honest, I think people who solo as well as party are far better players overall than people who just play in parties. They learn thier strengths and weaknesses...usually find a way to compensate for them, and usually have a fair bit more of survivability.

moomooprincess
04-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Since you have the rogue ability, you can disable traps. With a hireling cleric you can heal. With your fighting ability you can dispatch the monsters. You have all bases covered except for AoE spells, like firewall.

You should be able to continue on your solo ways with no challenge. Just remember to look for trap boxes once in awhile. The House K series from ever full flagon, most of them have a trap or two in them.

You will find some quests will be very difficult as a solo. Lair of Summoning is NOT one of them. The PITA quest in House K will be Taming the Flames and Made to Order. ONLY do those in a group.

vVAnjilaVv
04-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Since you have the rogue ability, you can disable traps. With a hireling cleric you can heal. With your fighting ability you can dispatch the monsters. You have all bases covered except for AoE spells, like firewall.

You should be able to continue on your solo ways with no challenge. Just remember to look for trap boxes once in awhile. The House K series from ever full flagon, most of them have a trap or two in them.

You will find some quests will be very difficult as a solo. Lair of Summoning is NOT one of them. The PITA quest in House K will be Taming the Flames and Made to Order. ONLY do those in a group.

Actually, the Lair of Summoning end fight is extremely hard...that boss is no joke.....especially for a first timer.....also, Chamber of Insanity is pretty painful, some of the mini-bosses in there hit extremely hard for the level it's at.

Don't forget, this is a melee build we are talking to, not a maximised spell caster :P

ReaperAlexEU
04-11-2010, 07:43 AM
if this is the first time you've got killed in a quest finding out what deadly surprises it has for you then your doing well :)

as you progress those deadly traps will get better at killing the unwary. without spoilers you will have to work out how to bypass those pitfalls. that can be a lot of fun and you get to really appreciate the quest designs playing that way.

if you get creamed over and over at the same place then is the time to come on the forums and ask for help. right now your just getting to the point where trial and error is done via dying :)

good luck with the soloing, things will get harder, but your not at the end of the road yet.

vVAnjilaVv
04-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I would also suggest reading your combat logs extensively when something goes really bad....u will get a general idea of what to work on for defenses.

parvo
04-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Get yourself a fire resist potion and pop your ranger resist boost. Take the main (fire elemental) down as fast as you can. On hard and elite difficulties, this is a tough level five quest. I dunno about solo. It should probably be rated as a level six.

Zombiekenny
04-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I would avoid Lair below level solo, as although its doable, the time commitment isn't really worth the payout, and the quest isn't that enjoyable.

ivar415
04-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Level up.
Learn to use a ranger properly, aka screw the damn bows and get proper weapons to swap when in melee!
Also learn how to swap the fricken weapons.

How you wonder? Make a new char on a different server and STOP & READ the popups carefully. Then do the same once in Korthos. Speak to all the masters standing around there and ask them.

P.S. donĀ“t take this personally, but most of the noob questions are easily answered in Korthos.

ThreeFinger
04-12-2010, 03:37 AM
All, thanks for the good advice. Ivar, I don't take it personally; I know how to swap weapon combinations, but yes, there probably are a few techniques I need to pick up/master.

chainsawash
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
as you progress those deadly traps will get better at killing the unwary. without spoilers you will have to work out how to bypass those pitfalls. that can be a lot of fun and you get to really appreciate the quest designs playing that way.

Yeah, this is why I like to try and solo quests once first if I can. When you group you can miss out on some of the surprises that make the quest fun in the first place. Seeing a chest sitting pretty in the center of a large empty room, I know something bad is going to happen. Yet I buff myself best I can and cautiously enter the room anyway, knowing I'm probably about to spring a trap. Then the doors slam shut and I'm surrounded by deadly fire and ice. I run around trying to find and chug the resist potions I have in my backpack then start swinging my duel axes fast as I can, while casting my simple healing spells, hoping my meager spell-casting ability will hold out long enough. The creatures bring me to within an inch of my life, but I ultimately dispatch them, hoping my reward will be worth it! (It wasn't ;) ) Much more fun than 'trap in next room, fire and ice mephits spawn...casting resist spells now...%$@# barb just ran into room! <Cleric has left the party>'.

Not that completing the same quest on elite with a good group can't be fun too, just saying there is an aspect to running a quest for the first time that is easy to miss out on and you can only do a quest for the first time once!

tihocan
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
In Lair of Summoning, make sure you bring a wand of resist energy. On normal it's a rather easy 2 min quest except possibly for low Str dex-based characters without an appropriate weapon for the end elemental. Although to be honest I don't know how hard the optional chest fight is.

erodite
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
OP, sounds like you're doing good. The key is just to learn the quests and know where not to go (ie trapped rooms).

No vet walks into that chest room, unless they want to show off :) Some things you have to learn the hard way, or in learn in a helpful group where people would call out that kind of thing. A lot of K quests are not good solo material for noobs, knowing which quests are easy/good solo quests takes time (and deaths).

hockeyrama
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
You stated" Have I reached the level where one has to group in order to succeed or am I just a crummy player?"

YOu are not a crummy player and all you need to do is adjust to the quest. You can solo almost anything in the game form what i have seen so far but you need the right build, the right equipment and to learn the quest whic may involve a few failures along the way. I have not been playing very long and have found that if I solo I have to change the way I use the player. I prefer groups as it nice to see how well some group players work together and I do solo some stuff but mainly if no parties are planning on doin it. I would say use the strengths of your build and leave some optional sections if you not need them.

Also, as a solo build you will need to buy equipment or pts for many different quests. I would suggest doing an adventure on casual or normal to get a feel for what resists you need then do it on hard (after you buy the pots) then do elite (not necessary but if you did well on hard try it).

Of course you sould just group for some of the ones you have trouble with.

Have fun and keep experimenting and don't get frustrated if your character dies as it does happen.

Lorz
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
To be honest, I think people who solo as well as party are far better players overall than people who just play in parties. They learn thier strengths and weaknesses...usually find a way to compensate for them, and usually have a fair bit more of survivability.

I would also caution that as you get higher there are quest/raids that are much better grouped than solo.

Realize how you've played Solo does not generally translate to group situations....be prepared to change what you do....Most likely a lot of tactics you found effective solo will not be smiled upon in groups....due to taking too long, or requiring too many people all work together when a simple beat down would do.

unbongwah
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
You're hitting the point where no Evasion and no elemental resistances and no magic missile immunity means owwie. Look for items, potions, wands, or clickies which give you stuff like Resist Energy or Shield / Nightshield.

hockeyrama
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Since you have one level rogue you have to decide to eithier wait till you get to level 9 ranger or take the rogue second level to get evasion. It will help against the fire and ice as you will evade many of the attacks and take no damage at all.

vVAnjilaVv
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I would also caution that as you get higher there are quest/raids that are much better grouped than solo.

Realize how you've played Solo does not generally translate to group situations....be prepared to change what you do....Most likely a lot of tactics you found effective solo will not be smiled upon in groups....due to taking too long, or requiring too many people all work together when a simple beat down would do.

While I should have added to my OP that remembering how to be part of a team is important if u want to party......the truth is, if aren't in touch with ur character and playstyle.....you won't be any good to parties anyways.

This is usually obtained much more easily solo'ing when u can do things at your pace...instead of the constant rush rush of the typical DDO group where newer players barely have a chance to even look at their surroundings.

And if u want to talk about tactics........I do not find a lot of groups these days that even bother to use them.

6 people who think they are invincible just because they are a full party and get thier butts handed to them is a lot less effective than someone who solo's or works in smaller groups and uses tactics.

I would say lately a large number of the group players going into high level quests just get slaughtered, because they don't take the time to learn anything and think that merely thier level number and party size will constitute there chances of victory.

And simple beatdowns...HAHA...if u haven't noticed by now that Turbine is going through great strides to take that tactic out of the game u really have not been paying much attention.

ThreeFinger
04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
...6 people who think they are invincible just because they are a full party and get thier butts handed to them is a lot less effective than someone who solo's or works in smaller groups and uses tactics....

I have grouped recently and it's frustrating when I go into Irestone on Hard with 5 others, and they want to fly in and start hacking away. Everyone gets surrounded and slaughtered. Every time. But I guess no one really wants to take the time to go over tactics, and like you said, believes that their level number and group will win the quest. Again, thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Hoosierdaddy76
04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
If you're just looking to level, then run quests one level lower than you until your fingers bleed.

This isn't the most enjoyable way to level, but it is the most efficient.

Also, check out this site for the most EXP efficient quests to run at any level:

http://www.ddmsrealm.com/ddo/TopTen.aspx

In short, optimize your EXP gain by repeating the simplest quests you can get away with while still getting a reasonable amount of EXP.

Again, this is not a tactic for those first-time players who would like to savor all of the subtle nuances that the game has to offer.

tihocan
04-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Also, check out this site for the most EXP efficient quests to run at any level:

http://www.ddmsrealm.com/ddo/TopTen.aspx
Those do not seem to be the most XP efficient quests (in terms of XP gained / time spent in quest).