PDA

View Full Version : Black Loch tweaks

Bradik_Losdar
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I enjoyed running the the Black Lock (and other pirate quests) that came in Update 4. However there were a couple of things that bothered me aestetically about the adventure.

First, that there was no way to start the quest from within Three Barrel Cove - which is odd seeing as Three Barrel Cove is a CR 3-7 area and this quest is level 7 (falling within the correct level range for the area). This could be easily solved by placing another Tyn d'Deneith NPC right outside the original entance to the Loch (the one that currently has 3 refugees and a minotaur sailor in front of it in the wilderness area) with a quest grail over her head. Tyn could have a dialog box stating that House D has a new contract with the 'good pirates' to remove the Blood Tide pirates from the Loch and that House D would consider it a favor if the adventurers helped her in doing so. "With your help, and that of my muscular friend here (the minotaur), we can clear the entrance and deal a swift blow to these Blood Tide scum." At that point the caved-in entrance becomes 'clickable' as a quest entance.

Secondly, another thing that bothered me is the fact that I always thought the Black Loch as a pirate 'town' was a cool idea (though a little far removed from civilization to see much traffic). So how about this: after finishing this quest once, why not have Tyn's dialog box change (in both her House D and Black Loch entrance locations) to say, "Thanks to your efforts, the Black Loch is once again in the hands of its rightful owners. As a reward, they have told me they have made you 'honorary scallywags' and that you are welcome in the Black Loch any time. Just be aware the Blood Tide could start it's old tricks again." Then have two options available: the first would be to enter the old version of the Black Lock (the pirate town) - so you could do shopping, training, etc. (I know the code for it still exists, as someones character is still running around in there even after the Update). The second dialog option would be to "Repeat the Black Loch quest".

Opening (reopening?) the pirate town would be a pretty cool 'reward' I think for helping clear out the Blood Tide from the Loch. Plus it adds a little extra content to the game with minimal effort on the devs part (it's already written!).

Thoughts?

Gelmir87
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
/infi-signed

This is probably one of the best ideas I've heard in a great long while. The Black Loch was my favorite town ever and I would LOVE to see it re-opened.

Please DEVS!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!! /begs

Cylinwolf
04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Y'know they closed the Black Loch down originally because so few people used it that a lot of players didn't even know it existed, right? I don't see the real point in re-opening it.

Bradik_Losdar
04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Oh, and two other little fixes (if the Black Loch becomes available as a pirate town again).

One: how about a rowboat/NPC down at the docks in Three Barrel Cove that will take you directly to the ship inside the Loch (exactly how the NPC in the Harbor used to take you there) if you unlock the pirate town by completing the quest. This would make access much easier (creating more traffic in the pirate 'town').

Two: Make the large ship archway (both inside the loch and outside in the wildeness area) a clickable entrance/exit to the loch once it has been cleared (quest completed). Again, providing better access and more traffic in the 'town' Loch.

Bradik_Losdar
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Y'know they closed the Black Loch down originally because so few people used it that a lot of players didn't even know it existed, right? I don't see the real point in re-opening it.

Ah, but that has changed, now that it is part of the House D pirate quest chain. And if better access was provided (see post above), I believe it would see much more traffic.

Cylinwolf
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Ah, but that has changed, now that it is part of the House D pirate quest chain. And if better access was provided (see post above), I believe it would see much more traffic.

Well yeah, but that's half my point. It was shut down in TBC because no one wanted it and they brought it back for slight nostalgia, because it fit, and because they already had it designed. I still don't think even with the quest now that many people would wanna go back to the old version of it.

It just wasn't a great design. It was a long way out by comparison and took too much time to even get around to the trainers when inside it.

It's good for quest design, but I just never saw it working for a city or public instance.

GeneralDiomedes
04-09-2010, 08:49 PM
It's good for quest design, but I just never saw it working for a city or public instance.

Exactly, it was like some tourist attraction that you only visit once.

Arcticwarrior
04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I dont mean to exploit or anything but when you are at the door to the apprentices you can throw a firewall in the room without opening the door. I foundthis out when I had autorun on and ran almost through the door!

Bradik_Losdar
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Well yeah, but that's half my point. It was shut down in TBC because no one wanted it and they brought it back for slight nostalgia, because it fit, and because they already had it designed. I still don't think even with the quest now that many people would wanna go back to the old version of it.

It just wasn't a great design. It was a long way out by comparison and took too much time to even get around to the trainers when inside it.

The biggest problem was its remoteness. Originally the only way to get to it was to fight your way through half the 3BC wilderness map. The Devs improved that slightly when they placed an access NPC on the small ship at the end of the docks in the Harbor, however there was still no easy way to get there from within 3BC (which I always thought was a little strange - why not just put an NPC/dingy at the docks there to get to it so that it was "connected" better with the cove which lacked any real 'businesses'?).

As for "going back to the old version"; its not replacing the new quest - it's a bonus for completeing the quest. BOTH versions are then available to the character after completeing it for the first time. House D gives favor for helping Tyn complete her contract, and the pirates show their gratitude by opening up the 'pirate town' for characters to use as a base of operations in 3BC (training, shopping, etc). It's a win-win situation. We get more content (the pirate town in addition to being able to repeat the House D quest any time) with minimal effort on the Devs part (the work is already done and tested).

Seems like a no-brainer. :D

Zenako
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
One core problem is that since 3BC is a paid expansion area, just like the new Sentinels package of quests is, it would be counter productive for them to make an entrance to a quest from one package require the purchase of a different package. So while it is asthecially annoying to have the entrance outside of 3BC, there is a good reason for it.

Now I am personally one of that minority who plays all the quests in 3BC on almost all my characters and happily lead many groups around there. The major downside of the old Black Loch was that there was no real point to it other than fluff and color. If they had located some unique vendors there, perhaps, but no, everything was pretty much stock and pointless.

Bradik_Losdar
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
One core problem is that since 3BC is a paid expansion area, just like the new Sentinels package of quests is, it would be counter productive for them to make an entrance to a quest from one package require the purchase of a different package. So while it is asthecially annoying to have the entrance outside of 3BC, there is a good reason for it.

While I agree wholeheartedly that Turbine should NOT, in no way, never ever, start imbedding packs within packs, the Black Loch is a special case. It was released well before the free-to-play model was implemented - and as such should be given special treatment. It will still be available as a stand alone pack from House D, but it should also be made available right at its original entrance in 3BC. The dialog of Tyn the House D NPC who would be standing in front can reflect this, as well as having a link to the DDO Store so non-VIPs interested in following up more piratey goodness (the House D quests) can easily do so.

Seems like a good deal for everyone, we get better access to the Loch (as well as the House D pirate quests) and Turbine gets a little free advertising for non-VIP folks to buy the House D Pirate Pack.