PDA

View Full Version : Shields used as weapons

Thorboar
03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
While watching the show Spartacus, I noticed the gladiators were using their shields not only for blocking (of course) but as weapons also, kinda like two weapon fighting in DDO. Not only do they bash with the flat side of the shield, but also would angle the shield to strike with the edge. I have noticed this in other movies too, such as Gladiator.
I know you can shield bash in the game, but its not the same as you see in the show or movies. So I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use a shield more as a weapon sorta like two weapon fighting. Maybe have a feat that allows you to include a shield strike within the attack chain, which would add an extra attack. Maybe a fighter feat line or something similar to the tempest line.
I know this would be a lot of work on the dev side, but I think it would bring something to the sword and board fighter.

edit: By the way, the suggestion I'm making is using the shield within the attack chain while welding a sword.....just to be clear...

jcTharin
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
i want to dual wield shields!

Thorboar
03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
How about a Vorpal shield.......:D

Angelus_dead
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I know this would be a lot of work on the dev side, but I think it would bring something to the sword and board fighter.
A suggestion that's been around forever:
In addition to the other effects, the Improved Shield Bash feats gain a toggle ability to insert shield-bash attempts into your regular attack sequence.

That change would improve game balance by lessening the damage sacrifice of S&B specialized characters.

BangsLiekWhoa
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
i want to dual wield shields!

That's like double the armor class!

EAB
03-30-2010, 01:43 PM
@Thorboar I love the idea of duel wielding shields. I love the idea of adding to DR by blocking with them. Also, I love the idea even more of each shield adding to your AC. Far trade off as you are doing way less DPS. However, there should be a fighter feat required to take it.

Grampybone
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
In addition to the other effects, the Improved Shield Bash feats gain a toggle ability to insert shield-bash attempts into your regular attack sequence.

That change would improve game balance by lessening the damage sacrifice of S&B specialized characters.

I think it would be cool.
This could also bring about the chance to bring
I unique shield weapons like on the Scottish Targe.

It posesses a spike on the face of the shield that
can be used to impale opponents. :D

BangsLiekWhoa
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
@Thorboar I love the idea of duel wielding shields. I love the idea of adding to DR by blocking with them. Also, I love the idea even more of each shield adding to your AC. Far trade off as you are doing way less DPS. However, there should be a fighter feat required to take it.

Pretty sure he is making a reference to Unforgotten Realms.

I suppose I could be wrong though...

Thorboar
03-30-2010, 01:55 PM

My suggestion originally wasn't to duel wield shields, but while in a sword and board stance, you can include the shield attack in the attack sequence. But, duel wielding shields would be cool too.

Alanim
03-30-2010, 02:51 PM
They should also get the ability to have all blunt enhancement's like bone-breaking/maldroit/etc. then I can have stat damagers/curse spewing/etc. dual shields. How great that would be. How great that would be.

Failedlegend
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
While watching the show Spartacus which has NOTHING to do with DnD, I noticed the gladiators were using their shields not only for blocking (of course) but as weapons also, kinda like shield bash in DDO. I have noticed this in other movies too, such as Gladiator which also has NOTHING to do with DnD.

I know this would be a lot of work for no reason on the dev side, but I think it would be fun for a few laughs

And in Star wars they have blasters & Lightsabers we should totally add those....or or I KNOW I KNOW maybe the BFG from Doom or some Attack choppers... SO AWESOME!!!

In short no. there's no reason to waste Devs time on this they already have a long list of promises to fulfill (and things to fix) without them wasting time on something useless like this.

Note: Fixed your post in red

LazarusPossum
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
And in Star wars they have blasters & Lightsabers we should totally add those....or or I KNOW I KNOW maybe the BFG from Doom or some Attack choppers... SO AWESOME!!!

I get the feeling the light saber in Silent Hill 3 would be a waste for you.

Failedlegend
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
oh and if some Dev actually adds the ability to dual wield/fight with shields I want my WF to be able to dual wield Halflings as clubs it's just as ridiculous

QuantumFX
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM

In short I am someone who knows nothing about D&D. there's no reason for me to waste my time on actually reading a D&D sourcebook or what the d20 SRD actually has to say about Shield Bashing in combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#shieldBashAttacks).

Failedlegend
03-31-2010, 12:44 AM

Yeah shield BASHING we have that already not dual wielding shields and using it as a primary weapon...that's it I officially lot this suggestion with this one http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2860024&postcount=1

Also while I'm at we DO have some named items with shield spikes here's one of em: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/jgould2005/DDO/Items/Shields/AegisofFlame.jpg

oh and next time you neg rep someone make sure they deserve it....I'm just fed up with people suggesting dumb things and cluttering up the suggestion thread it just slows the Devs down

QuantumFX
03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Yeah shield BASHING we have that already not dual wielding shields and using it as a primary weapon...that's it I officially lot this suggestion with this one http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2860024&postcount=1

Also while I'm at we DO have some named items with shield spikes here's one of em: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/jgould2005/DDO/Items/Shields/AegisofFlame.jpg

oh and next time you neg rep someone make sure they deserve it....I'm just fed up with people suggesting dumb things and cluttering up the suggestion thread it just slows the Devs down

Well, you posted a lie and tried to pass it off as fact. You didn't just deserve the neg rep. You earned it.

Failedlegend
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Well, you posted a lie and tried to pass it off as fact. You didn't just deserve the neg rep. You earned it.

Ok genius point out to me which one of these is a lie...maybe I missed something (pulled from my previous posts)

- Spartacus has NOTHING to do with DnD

- Gladiator has NOTHING to do with DnD

- DDO already has shield bash

- DDO has shield spikes too see: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...gisofFlame.jpg

QuantumFX
03-31-2010, 01:26 AM
Ok genius point out to me which one of these is a lie...maybe I missed something (pulled from my previous posts)

- DDO already has shield bash

- DDO has shield spikes too see: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...gisofFlame.jpg

Your lie is: Shield bash is working properly.

kinda like shield bash in DDO.

You also love to distort the OP's request. (Which is also lying)

Failedlegend
03-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Your lie is: Shield bash is working properly.

lol w/e I give up have fun in your little world where your always right

Thorboar
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM

In short no. there's no reason to waste Devs time on this they already have a long list of promises to fulfill (and things to fix) without them wasting time on something useless like this.

Wow.......Spartacus has nothing to do with DnD?.....no $#*!......but swords and shields have everything to do with DnD......because Spartacus is in a different world than DnD, the physics do not work the same for swords and shields? All I did was made an observation on how swords and shields were being used on a show and movies.....probadly how they really used them. I think you missed the point of my "dumb idea". And oh yea.....neg rep....you deserve it.....;)

LazarusPossum
03-31-2010, 09:56 AM

Perhaps not these specific movies, but when I'm playing, I see early Roman influences everywhere, along with touches of early Arab, Mongol, and even Aztec. The game is not Anglo-centric by any means.

If you have such a beef about film influences, when do you plan to start your protest against undead pirates coming out in this year's update?

*Yet I still wonder if this would be true. It could be a DDO April Fool's Joke.

jcTharin
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
i think that we should be able to dual wield shields. and be able to strap on extra shields to difrent parts of our body.

a tower shield on each arm. one tower shield on my back. a heavy shield on my chest. a light or heavy shield on each leg. and a light shield or two on my head.

im gonna need it if i ever want to try to ac tank on epic

edit* oh, and a buckler to use as a cup

Ormindo
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Shield kick ? This is madness !

Madness...

THES... ES... SPARSHIELD ! *kick dude with shield from ledge*

There comes a Beholder :
"Sorry mister, but Madness is Xoriat. Please redo this scene to respect the Xorian convention."

Aschbart
04-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Just FYI, while D&D has Shield Bash, and it's AFAIK the same as DDO Shield Bash. And D&D does allow TWF with shields fixed erroneous statement What D&D does not have is DR from shields (or from blocking), except adamantine ones.

It's clearly stupid to dismiss such an idea o the ground it's got nothing to do with D&D because
1. There are tons of rule changes and additions in DDO that have nothing to do with D&D and are not neccessary for adaption to a MMO environment already
2. There are lots of mechanisms and rules in D&D that currently are not implemented in DDO, including this suggestion
3. D&D combat and thus the core of the rules system is based on combat in our real world - originally by simulating statistics of military units for the predecessor of D&D (the name of which currently escapes me), then statistics of single characters. The effect and relative efficiency of each weapon type against various types of armor was originally looked up on a weapon type vs. armor type table even, to better simulate various effects, such as chain shirts buffeting blows from blunt weapons very efficiently while being virtually useless against piercing since you culd pierce them between chain links.

Since many (not all) historical movies usually take care to authentically replay combat the way it was done, they have in fact a lot in common with D&D, and there is nothing wrong at all to take them as an inspiration to better the game experience!

P.S.: Looked up the rules and fixed my post. Check it out (from SRD 3.5):

Shield Bash Attacks

You can bash an opponent with a light shield or heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and a light shield as a light weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.
Shield Spikes

When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.

An enhancement bonus on a spiked shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but a spiked shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Note that bashing with a shield is not neccessarily an action by itself but can be used to emmulate weapon attacks, so using it in TWF is clearly feasible. Moreover, you should be able to get multiple shield attacks with TWF if you have multiple off hand attacks.

Source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#shieldBashAttacks

Silver_Shadow
04-05-2010, 04:42 AM
I there should Feat called Sheild Rush the player charges 25 feet into to an enemy or a group knocking them down and stunning them for 5-15 secs.

SkyCry
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM
The original idea is great, but seems to be too complicated. It would be a good long term goal to implement this. (But I want druids more!)

Also, as stated, this should require several feats to be efficient. Probably only fighters will have enough feats to spend on something like this. Then again, fighters currently often find themselves with nothing to spend feats on, so definitely a good idea.

And yes, shields should get all the blunt weapon enchantments and more. I can't believe you still can't get a shield with Lifeshield on it! I guess that would be too obvious!

Aesop
04-05-2010, 05:32 AM

/signed... AGAIN

Aesop

hellfire014
04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Here's a few ideas:

Shield Attack: when active and using a shield, your shield acts as an off-hand weapon and you attack as though dual wielding, and take the appropriate to-hit penalties and -2 AC from your shield. Bucklers and Small Shields count as Light weapons. This stance ends when you block.

Requirements: Improved Shield Bash, 3 BAB, STR 15

Improved Shield Attack: removes AC penalty when in Shield Attack stance.

Requirements: Shield Attack, 9 BAB, STR 17

Greater Shield Attack: Increases number of attacks made while wearing a shield by 1*
(Requires Shield Attack to be active)

Requirements: Improved Shield Attack, 11 BAB, STR 17

Greater Shield Bash: Increases Critical Multiplier of shields by 1.

Requirements: Improved Shield Bash, 11 BAB, STR 17

And while I'm at it, have a shield based Prestige.

Cleric Prestige: Whiteguard of the Holy Blade

Cleric level 6: WotHB I
Your concern for your comrades takes you to the front lines of battle. You gain +2 to Intimidate and Balance, +1 to shield damage and Dex AC bonus, and grants you to spend a turn attempt and SP (Wis mod*10) to become proficient in Tower Shields until next rest.

Requires all of: Cleric Concentration II, Cleric Charisma I, Cleric Divine Might I, Cleric Divine Light I, (Feat) Improved Shield Bash.

Cleric level 12: WotHB II You have become more confident about the safety of your comrades when in combat. You gain +2 to Intimidate and Balance (+4 total), +1 to shield damage and Dex AC bonus (+2 total), and you use your Wis mod for AC bonus instead of Dex. Shield Attack is permanently active (even while blocking)** and your Divine Light ability now deals 2/3 damage to non-undead evil enemies, and 1/3 damage to neutral enemies.

Requires all of: Cleric Concentration II, Cleric Charisma II, Cleric Divine Might II, Cleric Divine Light II, (Feats) Shield Attack, Toughness.

Cleric level 18: WotHB III
You have become more confident about the safety of your comrades when in combat. You gain +2 to Intimidate and Balance(+6 total), +1 to shield damage and Dex AC Bonus (+3 total), and Farther improves your Shield Attack, increasing the number of attacks by 1* and increasing the shield Critical Threat Range by 1. You can now spend a turn attempt to increase the hate you generate by (Clr level*10)%.

Requires all of: Cleric Concentration IV, Cleric Divine Light III, Advanced Faith, (Feat) Improved Shield Attack.

(*NOTE* acts like ITWF/GTWF)
(**NOTE** you can block/shield bash w/o breaking Shield Attack)

Overpowered? Not the way I see it. Shields were originally meant to defend, so while your AC is high, your melee damage won't be comparable to the DPS classes. Because there are no Greensteel shields, and shields rarely gain offensive bonuses, you shouldn't expect to keep up with a Ranger or Fighter or Barb. Also, because you need a shield, Monk stances won't work. Your role in battle will be to your team alive by helping kill things faster, Aggro mitigation, and healing like normal. Really, the PrE just makes an easier to obtain (but stat devouring) Battle-Cleric.

And why Cleric?
1) It makes sense: WHITEguard, seems to have a more sword & board feel to it
2) Clerics need some Prestige lovin' too!

Aesop
04-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Here's a few ideas:

Shield Attack: when active and using a shield, your shield acts as an off-hand weapon and you attack as though dual wielding, and take the appropriate to-hit penalties and -2 AC from your shield. Bucklers and Small Shields count as Light weapons. This stance ends when you block.

Blocking should never knock you out of a stance... especially a specific S&B stance

Requirements: Improved Shield Bash, 3 BAB, STR 15

Improved Shield Attack: removes AC penalty when in Shield Attack stance.

The Prerequisite already does that specifically. Infact that is all that Improved Shield Bash does. Which is part of the problem.

Keep it simple... or relatively. Shield Style of Combat already has three feat associated with it

Improved Shield Bash: keep shield AC while bashing
Shield Mastery: 3 Blocking DR
Improved Shield Mastery: 3 Blocking DR

the problem is the relative gain for the cost. Feats are expensive comodities (especially on a non- fighter build... like oh Paladin lets say)

add the following to each (in addition to the current benefits)

Improved Shield Bash: Toggle: Activates Shield Bash Hook attacks
Shield Mastery: +1 Shield AC and 10% chance to passively block an attack (Apply Blocking DR)
Improved Shield Mastery: +1 Shield AC and Successful Reflex to Save for Half Damage results in 25% damage instead.

Slightly reduces the DPS Gap (which is far too large for S&B to be a good option)
Improves the Defensive abilities of S&B, which are currently sub-useful (turning off your DPS to absorb damage is not a winning strategy in 95% of the content)

out of time must go. As a note Cleric PrEs are planned out they are just not fully created (or at all). However the ones they are planning are listed somewhere out there

Aesop

EustaceTrevelyan
09-12-2010, 06:29 AM
How about a Vorpal shield.......:D

This would rock, you could have something that straps to your arm with a scythe-like arc on it somewhere, or a sharpened spadelike bottom.

Alabore
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM
The game is not Anglo-centric by any means.

Something I actually liked about Eberron/DDO.
Elsewhere non-western classes/stereotypes felt out of place.
In DDO I started playing monks, and I actually had fun - because they made sense to me.

If you have such a beef about film influences, when do you plan to start your protest against undead pirates coming out in this year's update?
*Yet I still wonder if this would be true. It could be a DDO April Fool's Joke.
I usually fire up my musical ensemble of tunes from Monkey Island when playing pirate-themed quests - especially the LeChuck's theme when doing Black Loch...

:)

About the OP's general idea -> /signed.
I've done my share of larping/historical fighting; shield bash could use some more love.

EDIT:

Stray musing about "neg-rep'ed user": I would suggest letting devs decide what is a waste of their time.
Or take polls, so players can vote.

;)

DToNE
09-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Though comical, one solution would be making a Returning throwing shield.

Just think Captain America.

http://www.superherostuff.com/Biographies/captain_america3.gif

Robi3.0
09-12-2010, 08:19 AM
How about a Vorpal shield.......:Dshields do Bludgeoning damage, no vorps for you. :D

duel wielding shields while looking LOL, seems unlikely to me. Using a shield with a sword in a twf chain would be great, that is how the Spartans did it, and we all know that they were awesome.

Alabore
09-12-2010, 08:34 AM
shields do Bludgeoning damage, no vorps for you. :D

Well, they could slash with the rim - that could provide the Vorpal edge.
It wouldn't be too far-fetched.

duel wielding shields while looking LOL, seems unlikely to me.

Eye of the Beholder - the old pc game - actually allowed chars to wield two shields and gain extra AC.

Agreeing on likelihood of "dual shielding" being implemented - but it wouldn't be too far-fetched either.
We get examples of "dual shielding" in japan mecha animation - see Grendizer - and fantasy - the orc gladiator from the old pc game, Dark Legions.

-> http://i52.servimg.com/u/f52/11/72/18/16/antera13.jpg
-> http://www.encirobot.com/gold/mechan/most49_01.jpg

azrael4h
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Something I actually liked about Eberron/DDO.
Elsewhere non-western classes/stereotypes felt out of place.
In DDO I started playing monks, and I actually had fun - because they made sense to me.

;)

You are aware that the West had unarmed combat styles as well, which were documented in the Fectbuchs as well as the weapon arts? For that matter, some of which survived to be practiced to this day (such as Savate).

If other settings the monk felt out of place, then you needed a new DM.

Alabore
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
You are aware that the West had unarmed combat styles as well, which were documented in the Fectbuchs as well as the weapon arts? For that matter, some of which survived to be practiced to this day (such as Savate).
If other settings the monk felt out of place, then you needed a new DM.
;)

I am not saying that unarmed combat felt out of place in DnD.
Unarmed combat is likely as old as human race is.

I am saying that I never quite liked the imagery of monks in DnD - and NWN.
They felt lifted from a different setting - Karatur - and unceremoniously dumped right in the middle of Shadowdale, without so much of a veneer of local colour.

It's clearly me. Not monks themselves.
Somehow, since I had no particular expectations about Eberron, and it is really a mixture of genres and epochs, few things really feel out of place.
It is to me not unlike a fantasy-themed Starwars cantina, if it makes any sense to you.

Postumus
09-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Well that was kind of funny.

But I think the OP has a valid point. The shield bash seems almost useless as you have to sacrifice a weapon attack in order to use it. If it had any special result like stun, or knock back, or was an added attack - especially when surrounded, then it would be useful.

Postumus
09-12-2010, 11:51 AM
You are aware that the West had unarmed combat styles as well, which were documented in the Fectbuchs as well as the weapon arts?

Come one now, you know that the D&D monk is about as Western as the samurai.

It has KI energy (which Western concept was that again?), uses Eastern meditation techniques like 'stances' etc, uses Eastern weapons like a Bo-stick (not Quarterstaff), and has Eastern derived titles like 'grand master of flowers.'

Yes there were always unarmed fighting techniques in Europe. Heck the Scots use them daily in the local pubs, but lets not pretend the D&D monk wasn't an Eastern import. That's just silly.

Alabore
09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
If it had any special result like stun, or knock back, or was an added attack - especially when surrounded, then it would be useful.
With U5 they tweaked block so you could trip/stun while blocking.
Not as useful as proc'ing shield bashes during a regular sword routine, but situationally useful nonetheless.

Azuarc
09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Ignoring the necro and the random other interrim thoughts posted, I agree with the main point of this thread -- that we should be able to get an attack in the chain for a shield. Maybe it should require one of the pre-existing feats, but it should exist -- especially when right now the difference in usefulness between a dual wielder, a two-hand user, and a S&B'er is vast. There should be incentive for a character -- at least of a class that feels right using a shield, like a cleric -- to actually use a shield, rather than scoffing them in any content past level 8. I want my character to use a shield, but I also don't want to be gimp. That's a serious game flaw, regardless of realism, and honestly "realism" argues on behalf of this change. Adding a mid-chain shield swing would add immersion, realism, and game balance. That's a total win.

Doxmaster
09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Interesting note-vorpal shields do exist ingame.

Rogues get sneak attack damage while shieldbashing.
Assassins vorpal on a 20 if their attack is a sneak attack, no matter what weapon they're using.
????
PROFIT!

RJBsComputer
09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
First of all, has everyone forgetten what you have to do to use shied bashing. Shield Bashing is done from the blocking stance. So if you are not blocking, you can not shield bashing. So what good is it? Shield bashing needs to become part of the attack sequence. And no, it would not take that much to add it in. You just have to treat the shield as another weapon. This way the Devs can use the TWF software to add shield bashing to active combat. An enhancement chain bases on BAB would determine how many times you would be allowed to shield bash in an attack sequence. The current feat chain for shield bashing can influence additional AC and damage done. This would represent the increase of skill in using a shield in combat.

jcTharin
09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Interesting note-vorpal shields do exist ingame.

Rogues get sneak attack damage while shieldbashing.
Assassins vorpal on a 20 if their attack is a sneak attack, no matter what weapon they're using.
????
PROFIT!

i can see that in guild chat now.

"dude i just took off this guys head with a buckler!"

DevilButcher
09-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I like the I idea of a Warforge enhancement line to Duel Wielding Halfling, now I could Quadra Wield khopeshs. Or the idea to fly attack choppers and steal cars - whatever the DEVs want to focus on first.

Haha, this whole thread is making my tear up with laughter, there are sume pretty elaborated ideas here.

DDO does not need duel wielding shields just because it's in the books, books also say I can use a buckler with a crossbow how did that never get pass on?
Also don't Shields bonuses in DDO not stack ~moooooooooooooot....

ThePrincipal
09-13-2010, 11:20 AM
They need to make S&B a fighting style to make it competitive with TWF and THF styles. A chain of at least 3 feats that increase your AC (in combat not while blocking) and allow your shield a chance to proc a shield attack (d6, 20x2) but at a much lower rate than TWF. You could even have different damage types since you can bash, thrust with a spike, or slash with a sharped edge of the shield. Which would make the shield benefit from the Weapon focus line. You'd also need to set stat requirements to unlock the feats... maybe Int like combat expertise or dex like TWF.

This would be seperate from Shield Bashing (blocking attack) and Shield Mastery (blocking DR) feats.