PDA

View Full Version : Support Cleric Advice

Zachski
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Okay, so I want to create a support Cleric. NOT a healbot Cleric, but a support Cleric.

I imagine I'll need the following on my Cleric at all times:

A healing spell (Not like I have a choice)

A buff spell (It's hard, at level 1, to choose between Bless and Divine...Aura? I forget, it's the one that adds +1 to both damage and to-hit, but lasts half as long as Bless)

and a crowd control spell (Command is especially efficient)

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I've never taken a Cleric past level 1.

1. Should I grab the flaming mace or the wand of light from the tutorial quest?

2. Should I join a party right from the bat, or start with a solo + hireling so I can learn to heal mild amounts of stupid before dealing with a PUG?

3. Anything else I should know about? How do I communicate to my party that I'm more than just a healbot and will be more useful as something more than a healbot?

EDIT: Also, is the "Font of Healing" Revised Build in the Newbie area good for a support cleric?

guardianx2009
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
A buff spell (It's hard, at level 1, to choose between Bless and Divine...Aura? I forget, it's the one that adds +1 to both damage and to-hit, but lasts half as long as Bless)

==> You can go either, most other clerics carry bless, but I like Divine Intervention (?) better.

and a crowd control spell (Command is especially efficient)

==> Command and Soundburst is a must. Use command for the ogres and other "dumb" mobs. Soundbursts for big crowds and casters.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I've never taken a Cleric past level 1.

===> ALmost everyone grabs the mace, but I found the wand much better. You can kill stuff from ranged as necessary (ie: skeletal mage) and unlike arrows/bolts, it doesn't miss. You'll run across a +1 mace soon enough, which is basically what the flaming mace is.

2. Should I join a party right from the bat, or start with a solo + hireling so I can learn to heal mild amounts of stupid before dealing with a PUG?

===> You can do both, you don't need a hireling to solo normal kortho's content either.

3. Anything else I should know about? How do I communicate to my party that I'm more than just a healbot and will be more useful as something more than a healbot?

===> You don't need to communicate anything, just do your thing and provide emergency heals as necessary.

Zachski
03-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Hmm...

Should I grab Extend as my first feat, or Empower Healing?

biggin
03-22-2010, 01:53 AM
I usually take extend first.

BTW, anyone who knows this game expects you to be more than a healbot. A Cleric can heal, melee and cast offensively. Learning the right amount of each per quest is what's important.

Sirgog has different builds mapped out depending on the type of cleric you want to be. I believe all the feats are laid out by level also to make it easier.

Don't worry too much about starter stuff. You grow out of it pretty quickly. I know you are given tons of choices, but don't stress it. Putting the right points into stats and taking the right feats are infinitely more important.

Zachski
03-22-2010, 01:55 AM
I usually take extend first.
Sirgog has different builds mapped out depending on the type of cleric you want to be. I believe all the feats are laid out by level also to make it easier.

Actually, no they aren't. He only lists the most necessary feats, and not in order.

Lymnus
03-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Actually, the greataxe is what is probably the best option. If you have an STR at about 12 or 14, I'd certainly grab the greataxe. If it's around the 8 range, the wand is probably the best. But, really: That's not something of too much concern. Don't worry about it too much.

Just throw up and LFM that you're doing Korthos Island quests, and a couple of people will join. Should make your runs a bit faster.

You don't need to tell them. I'm not sure what your definition of, "Support Cleric," is, but it'll been seen through your playstyle. It'd be like asking a cleric who is dual wielding khopeshes if he is a healbot; people can just tell. It becomes even more apparent if you're a multiclass.

EDIT: Also, is the "Font of Healing" Revised Build in the Newbie area good for a support cleric?
It's not too bad. It'll give yo a good start on what it's like to be a cleric.

Responses in teal.
That's a cool colour.

biggin
03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Actually, no they aren't. He only lists the most necessary feats, and not in order.

Oh. Well, the order of feats and the feats themselves comes down to a playstyle choice. Like I said, personally I like Extend right away because I'm lazy and don't feel like constantly recasting buffs. After a Cleric or 2, you'll know what you need and when. Take Quicken for example. I don't see the need for it before I get Blade Barrier, however some people swear by it for healing end boss fights, even at low levels. But here are the Metas I take in order....

Extend
Emp Healing
Empower
Quicken
Maximize

.... then trade out Extend once I get high in level. There are only 2 to 3 quests where 18-20 minutes aren't long enough to make it to the end.

Zachski
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Actually, the greataxe is what is probably the best option. If you have an STR at about 12 or 14, I'd certainly grab the greataxe. If it's around the 8 range, the wand is probably the best. But, really: That's not something of too much concern. Don't worry about it too much.

Uhh... do Clerics even have a proficiency for Great axe? O_o

Oh yeah, I should probably ask what non-Drow race is best..

Lymnus
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Uhh... do Clerics even have a proficiency for Great axe? O_o
No. But you say that like proficiency is important. If you have a 14 STR, you have a +2 modifier. Since two-handed weapons double the bonuses from STR, you'd have a +4 modifier from STR, thus overriding the loss of attack bonus you loss from proficiency. Because you lost that, you get higher base damage (1d12, compared to 1d8), and more damage (+2 per swing, because of the doubled STR bonus). More damage=quicker runs.

Oh yeah, I should probably ask what non-Drow race is best..
They're better if you have 32-point builds available. If you only have 28-point builds available, Drow works just fine. It's just a matter of point distribution, really. Drows are already sort-of a 32-point build, because they have a +2 to CHA, INT, and DEX, with a -2 to CON. The -2 to CON is crappy; really crappy. The bonuses really don't offer much. Human is typically the best choice because they get a racial bonus to Wisdom, along with one other skill (I'm speaking of enhancements, here).

Comments in teal.

Zachski
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
They're better if you have 32-point builds available. If you only have 28-point builds available, Drow works just fine. It's just a matter of point distribution, really. Drows are already sort-of a 32-point build, because they have a +2 to CHA, INT, and DEX, with a -2 to CON. The -2 to CON is crappy; really crappy. The bonuses really don't offer much. Human is typically the best choice because they get a racial bonus to Wisdom, along with one other skill (I'm speaking of enhancements, here).

Actually, the reason I said non-Drow is because I don't have Drow unlocked, nor 32 point builds.

I ended up going with Human due to the extra feat.

I'm now level 2 on my support Cleric :-) Bless, Shield of Faith, and Command have been very useful so far.

Talon_Oakenleaf
03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh. Well, the order of feats and the feats themselves comes down to a playstyle choice. Like I said, personally I like Extend right away because I'm lazy and don't feel like constantly recasting buffs. After a Cleric or 2, you'll know what you need and when. Take Quicken for example. I don't see the need for it before I get Blade Barrier, however some people swear by it for healing end boss fights, even at low levels. But here are the Metas I take in order....

Extend
Emp Healing
Empower
Quicken
Maximize

.... then trade out Extend once I get high in level. There are only 2 to 3 quests where 18-20 minutes aren't long enough to make it to the end.

Although those feats are handy, if you want to be more than a healbot you might want to consider the Toughness feat just my opinion. Extend is nice for buffs but also nice for BB and I was informed that it helps with implosion. I would only take empower healing if I was going to be a main healer all the time. Maximize is a must and quicken is great if you leave it on do not spend very many points in concentration (cannot be interupted when on) I personally like mental toughness and improved mental toughness for the extra spell points but that is up to you. After taking the advice of many wonderful people of the forums, I downloaded the Character generator (Chargen) and tweaked it until I was happy with my toon. You might want to look into it.

biggin
03-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Although those feats are handy, if you want to be more than a healbot you might want to consider the Toughness feat just my opinion. Extend is nice for buffs but also nice for BB and I was informed that it helps with implosion. I would only take empower healing if I was going to be a main healer all the time. Maximize is a must and quicken is great if you leave it on do not spend very many points in concentration (cannot be interupted when on) I personally like mental toughness and improved mental toughness for the extra spell points but that is up to you. After taking the advice of many wonderful people of the forums, I downloaded the Character generator (Chargen) and tweaked it until I was happy with my toon. You might want to look into it.

Those are the Metamagics, not all the feats. ;)

No Extend does not work on Implosion.

What Metas you take and when you take them comes down to playstyle. I always recommend taking "healbot" Metas simply because it helps newer players avoid taking something completely useless to the class. Also, sometimes other feats sound great, but if your character isn't built/equipped for it, it will be useless anyway. Someone new to DDO can take those feats, and with a decent STR item and DP can still contribute well with support melee. I highly doubt too many of us can say our first toons were Epic ready (well, there was no Epic then, but you get my point). Some people come from MMO backgrounds and they may be used to toggling things on and off constantly. I didn't and it took me a long while to learn to do it to remain SP efficient. These are just the feats I would have taken if I had to do it all over again on day 1. Not to say these are the best feats, just a good starting base for a cleric who is new to DDO.

EKKM
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I have a support cleric with the following feats:

L1 Extend, toughness
L3 empower heal
L6 maximize (dont use this much yet, cost too many SP, best used on mass heals and balde barrier when you get it)
L9 spell penetration
L12 quicken
L15 Grtr spell penetration
L18 Heighten

With a build like the above you will be able to use your offensive and CC spells effectively and naturally be a top notch healer. Hp will be good as well provided you started with a 12-14 CON.

On a more offensive/CC focused cleric I would take empower instead of empower healing.

Low level pugs can be a PITA but it does help you learn.Just remember that sometimes its better to let a weak character die in order to let the effective characters live.

JollySwagMan
03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I do not know if you have run casters before, but the most important thing to take from Korthos is the Minor Mnemonic Aid necklace from Misery's Peak.

Once you get to Stormreach be on the lookout for Power 1-handed weapons - have one equipped at the beginning of the quest as your buff mana, then switch to another weapon - an evocation mace/sceptre is very handy in ensuring your Soundbursts' success.

Very often the critters that you will be using Command or Hold Person on will have poor will saves so an Enchantment school boosting item is not quite so essential.

I'm a fan of the Spell Focus: Evocation feat as this helps your Holy Smites and Blade Barriers later on.

Mass Aid is the first mass-cure spell you have available, try and direct your party to fight as a group for maximum effectiveness. You don't need to extend Mass Aid as those extra HPs will get knocked down before the end of its duration. Do extend a Bless at the beginning of a quest though.

Also if you are a support Cleric I would definitely advise towards the alternate-turn abilities - Divine Cleansing isn't essential as a wand of Lesser Restoration can cover poison/stat damage, but a plentiful supply of Divine Vitalities will mean more mana potions headed your way. Divine Healing has some divided opinions on it - personally I don't take it, but it is useful in zerg parties and for use on WF.

For levels 1-6, a couple Superior Ardour II items are essential, they're commonly found on clubs. Also stop by the Object Desire in House P for Superior Ardour pots - if you absolutely can't find any superior ardour items just buy a stack of Superior Ardour I pots.

Look out for a Superior Devotion II shield at the House K vendor, having one of these often negates the need for Empower/Empower Healing/Maximise at early levels. These most commonly occur around level 6, though sometimes you may find a min level 4 one.

Finally, make sure and turn in any 'Wavecrasher Cargo Manifests' to Kipling Vranch in the marketplace for free CMW wands, you can also try asking party members for some for this purpose.

Fenrisulven6
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I know you want to be support-spec'ed, but you're going to really miss Soundburst.

Its also Evocation, in case you pick up the SF feat someone mentioned upthread.