PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Reincarnate Your Wizard!!!

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I recently reincarnated my wizard to fix his gimped con score and upon levelling I was not allowed to pick the 2 free spells that every wizard is entitled to at level up. I was able to boost skills and pick bonus feats but, when it came to spell selection it had written at the top of the levelling window "you can pick 0 spells" even though I had picked no spells. It also had a list to pick from, so it was not like I had already inscribed everything yet.

Impaqt
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I recently reincarnated my wizard to fix his gimped con score and upon levelling I was not allowed to pick the 2 free spells that every wizard is entitled to at level up. I was able to boost skills and pick bonus feats but, when it came to spell selection it had written at the top of the levelling window "you can pick 0 spells" even though I had picked no spells. It also had a list to pick from, so it was not like I had already inscribed everything yet.

Known Bug I believe. Your Spell Book carries over. This does NOT break the character in any way. If you dont have the spell in your book its because youhavent used it in your first life. If you need it, you can get a scroll and inscribe it.

Kistilan
03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I see how this could be detrimental.... *coughs*

If this happened on a Sorc (where you can't inscribe spells), you'd be on to something. However, if you're short on cash for scrolls at levels 1-3, ask your freindly neighborhood Server Forum. Someone on there has got to have a few thousand gold to spare ya to inscribe your spells and get around this.

This is an incredibly minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of someone that made it to level 20, presumeably has money, and reincarnated.

The warning is a poor choice of words. I thought people were turning into eggplants when they reincarnated wizards -- THAT would be an issue.

Daigaioh
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
if you were on Khyber I'd just mail you the scroll yer missing.

there Is no bug, your spell book carries over like they said.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 12:56 PM
True, I still have my spellbook and I can still inscribe spells so it is not a game breaker, BUT it is a real annoyance when something is taken away from you which is a given thing.

It is like having your nose glued shut, sure you can still breathe through your mouth but the point is, you shouldnt have to.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I should also say that this was a lesser reincarnation, so it is not like I had the chance to pick up all these spells on the first pass.

Daigaioh
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
True, I still have my spellbook and I can still inscribe spells so it is not a game breaker, BUT it is a real annoyance when something is taken away from you which is a given thing.

It is like having your nose glued shut, sure you can still breathe through your mouth but the point is, you shouldnt have to.

thing is Nothing was taken away from you. You choose to inscribe all the spells in your Book. Your Book is not tied to your reincarnation unless yer doing a True reincarnation. No free spells were Lost because they never really existed to begin with For lesser and greater Reincarnation.

Impaqt
03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I should also say that this was a lesser reincarnation, so it is not like I had the chance to pick up all these spells on the first pass.

So would you rather LOSE all the spells you DID have to buy Spell inscription materials for and start over fresh?

Cause I'm sure that was the option. Clear the spell book and start over. If you were allowed to pick new FREE SPELLS you would be double dipping.

you "Lost" Nothing.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I never said anything about double dipping seeing as I have not even dipped once yet.

Tarrasque
03-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah this happened to me as well. I didn't think much of it when I was re-levelling (I was only going up to level 6 with a Lesser to fix some ability scores on my WF battle mage). What concerned me more was that I continued to get zero spells as I levelled up AFTER the reincarnation. In that case, any spells that don't exist in scroll form would be impossible to get. At the time, I was particularly concerned about Wall of Fire because I thought there were no scrolls - but since then I discovered that WoF scrolls did exist (I bought one on the AH), in addition to some other spells I thought did not exist. I'm not sure if there are any arcane spell that currently do not appear on scrolls, but that would be an issue.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah this happened to me as well. I didn't think much of it when I was re-levelling (I was only going up to level 6 with a Lesser to fix some ability scores on my WF battle mage). What concerned me more was that I continued to get zero spells as I levelled up AFTER the reincarnation. In that case, any spells that don't exist in scroll form would be impossible to get. At the time, I was particularly concerned about Wall of Fire because I thought there were no scrolls - but since then I discovered that WoF scrolls did exist (I bought one on the AH), in addition to some other spells I thought did not exist. I'm not sure if there are any arcane spell that currently do not appear on scrolls, but that would be an issue.

finally, somebody that understands my problem. lesser reincarnations is not the same as TRUE reincarnation. none of my characters have ever made it to level 20. I lesser reincarnated at level 9 for a level 9 character of the same class and race with different stats. Upon reaching level 10 FOR THE FIRST TIME, I was denied the chance to recieve new spells. If this trend continues, I will be 22 spells down on a wizard that has never spent any money in the ddo store.

Arlith
03-21-2010, 01:31 PM
So would you rather LOSE all the spells you DID have to buy Spell inscription materials for and start over fresh?

Cause I'm sure that was the option. Clear the spell book and start over. If you were allowed to pick new FREE SPELLS you would be double dipping.

you "Lost" Nothing.

Except when I passed the level I did the lesser Reincarnate at I was still not able to select spells. Doing a LR at level 11 sucked then. And you cant buy Level 8/9 scrolls. I was was forced to beg/borrow/steal/AH scrolls to get them.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Except when I passed the level I did the lesser Reincarnate at I was still not able to select spells. Doing a LR at level 11 sucked then. And you cant buy Level 8/9 scrolls. I was was forced to beg/borrow/steal/AH scrolls to get them.

so for ALL my lvl 8 and 9 spells I am gonna have to go to the auction house and pay the extortionate prices for them.
JUST FREAKING WONDERFUL. I wish that I had stayed with the 10 con I had.

DANTEIL
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Hrmmmmm.... I recently Greater Reincarnated my wizard at Level 18, and my full spellbook reincarnated with me. But, the other night I leveled up to Level 19, and I got the "You can pick 0 spells" message during level-up. Since I've never leveled a character up this high before, I didn't think much of it, especially when I saw that I had new empty spells slots for an additional lvl7 spell and a lvl9 spell. Luckily, I had already inscribed 4 lvl9 spells to my spellbook, so that was fine.

However, the interesting thing will be to see what happens when I level to Level 20, when I'm supposed to get an additional lvl8 and lvl9 spell, I believe -- assuming I don't inscribe any new level 9 spells between now and then, will I just have an empty lvl9 slot if I'm not given the option of picking a new spell during level up? That *would* be disappointing. Am I understanding this right? Is this a bug?

Lorien_the_First_One
03-21-2010, 02:24 PM

you "Lost" Nothing.

That's actually how it originally worked on Lama when I tested it. Wizards lost all spells and had to reselect while levelling...which really hurt if you had put effort into getting the scrolls not available at vendors, like the full set of L8/9 spells.

It was changed to the current "keep your book" option based on player feedback I believe.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
That's actually how it originally worked on Lama when I tested it. Wizards lost all spells and had to reselect while levelling...which really hurt if you had put effort into getting the scrolls not available at vendors, like the full set of L8/9 spells.

It was changed to the current "keep your book" option based on player feedback I believe.

Its great that you get to keep your spellbook after a lesser reincarnation, it really is, but I would have loved to had been warned that I would forfeit my ability to have free spells. If that was the case I would have just grinned and bared the low hit points until I hit 20 and then greater reincarnated instead with the favour I would have got to get 32 pt builds.

It would have been great If that was put up on the info for reincarnation.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Its great that you get to keep your spellbook after a lesser reincarnation, it really is, but I would have loved to had been warned that I would forfeit my ability to have free spells. If that was the case I would have just grinned and bared the low hit points until I hit 20 and then greater reincarnated instead with the favour I would have got to get 32 pt builds.

It would have been great If that was put up on the info for reincarnation.

Sorry, I thought you meant you couldn't pick spells during the LR/GR relevelling process. If you mean you can't pick spells in future level ups, that's clearly a bug. If you haven't submitted an ingame bug report yet please do so.

LeofricLac
03-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I have done so, I also tried to speak to a GM directly about it and warn others through this forum, unfortunately everyone on here seems to want to shoot me down in flames.

Impaqt
03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
so for ALL my lvl 8 and 9 spells I am gonna have to go to the auction house and pay the extortionate prices for them.
JUST FREAKING WONDERFUL. I wish that I had stayed with the 10 con I had.

or Loot them. Its not like they are really all that rare.

Shade
03-21-2010, 04:52 PM
finally, somebody that understands my problem.

Well it was tough being you never adequately explained your problem (never mentioned what level you were, or what lvl you were trying to attain, or what spells were missing), and you made a rather inaccurate thread title to add to the confusion.

Everyone can safely re-incarnate their level20 wizards, be it lesser, greater or true. There's no serious known issues with them at the moment.

The issue is obviously only effecting non-capped wizards. And while it does sound annoying, it is not critical since scrolls are not overly difficult to find.

Arlith
03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
or Loot them. Its not like they are really all that rare.

Heh heh... A dime a dozen, until your looking for them. :)

Fortunately I put the word out and guildies came to the rescue.

Zachski
03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Well it was tough being you never adequately explained your problem (never mentioned what level you were, or what lvl you were trying to attain, or what spells were missing), and you made a rather inaccurate thread title to add to the confusion.

Everyone can safely re-incarnate their level20 wizards, be it lesser, greater or true. There's no serious known issues with them at the moment.

The issue is obviously only effecting non-capped wizards. And while it does sound annoying, it is not critical since scrolls are not overly difficult to find.

And that's an excuse to be rude to him?

Angar
03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
It took me almost 3 weeks to find the spells I needed. I GR'd at 13 (wiz I rolled the day the game started), and since then have leveled to 16, and at 15, it hurt not getting some of the spells I felt I needed. Since then, I have fleshed out most of the required spells, and I THINK I have what I want for level 9 spells, although I don't remember which ones I have inscribed since I can't look at it for another level.

My first 3 runs in the shroud I had to do with no dancing ball. That was a pain. Finally, a guildy found the scroll for me.

Because of this bug, I had to play my other toons on days when I wanted to play my wiz - afraid if I leveled too far I would never be reimbursed for the lost spells.

In the end, it maybe cost me a few million gold to fill out the spells that mostly would have come from the 3 levels that I missed out. Not a big deal for someone with 5 or 6 high level active toons, but I can see if this were my main, I would have been affected much worse.

The worst part about it was the fact that the GMs were well aware of the problem, but unable or unwilling to do anything to fix it. It didn't help that the next day, there was a post (in the wiz forum I think) and a dev jumped in, stating that he was unaware of the problem and would look into it. How come a bug like this is known by everyone but the guys who can fix it?

This is actually the 5th or 6th post I have commented in regarding this problem, and I have yet to find a post that addresses it officially.

Lerincho
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I GR'd a 20th level wizzard and had no issues what so ever.

Arlith
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I GR'd a 20th level wizzard and had no issues what so ever.

Huh... How odd. So DDO let you pick your spells when you went to level 21? Oh... wait... :)

Lerincho
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Huh... How odd. So DDO let you pick your spells when you went to level 21? Oh... wait... :)

Not suppose to tell that i'm 21st. however, leveling up during the reincarnation i was not forced to pick spells.

Arlith
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Not suppose to tell that i'm 21st. however, leveling up during the reincarnation i was not forced to pick spells.

Ooopss... Sorry I let the cat out of the bag.

That isn't the problem. If you GR/LR your Wizzy before level 20, any level attained after the LR/GR you cannot pick spells during level up. It's no big deal until you hit the level 8/9 spells. You just go to the PH and get all your spells and inscribe them. Level 8/9 spells you have to hunt for. Still not game breaking, but it is irritating.

I am sure Turbine will get around to fixing it.

Emili
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM

That isn't the problem. If you GR/LR your Wizzy before level 20, any level attained after the LR/GR you cannot pick spells during level up. It's no big deal until you hit the level 8/9 spells. You just go to the PH and get all your spells and inscribe them. Level 8/9 spells you have to hunt for. Still not game breaking, but it is irritating.

Not every level 1-7 spell may be bought at the portable hole...

The free spells at level up help out in cutting down the searching for them, and I may add when it comes to arcane scrolls is kind of ashame people do not always help out the wizards,

i.e. many people in other classes will just leave a (non vendor scroll) in a chest - usually because they have no clue it cannot be bought off a vendor... and many of the people who do recognize them ... place them up on the AH for some sizable sum. Fair pricing (that of which would be a vendor retail amount) they often x5 or even x10 it. Yet is funny some of these people get bent out of shape when they're in quest and request for said particular scroll and the wizard does not have it - it may be not that they do not haveit loaded, but possibly is not even in their book to load. ;)

I for one have every spell on my level 20 wizard... quite simply I invested in her spell book from the get go ... (yes even the spells which are near useless - why, well because who knows there may come a day when it has use (either discovered or via game rule change) ... how does one do this? Maximize the sort out of spells... a somewhat sizable monetary invsetment actually... it comes out to.

Building the wizards spell book...

Take your bard to the portable hole.
Buy one of every arcane scroll along with enough inscription material for each.
Write down every level one spell you bought (if you're using veteran status write down 2nd levels you bought also).
Now go roll up your level 1 or (vet status - level 4) wizard.
Be sure to select spells not on your lists at level ups.
When you get off krothos (or the boat) go send all the scrolls from your bard.
Incribe the spells. (your int is high enough so learning spells all the way to even level nine spells may be done at level one)

Now come level ups ... you are assured the only spells you may select from are those which cannot be bought...

Doing so this way means that the search for scrolls from chest AH and asking friends to help you out is now minimized ...

It is quite unfortunate that greater and lesser reincarnate have this spell learn bug (for a penalty on greater/lesser reincarnating before level 20)... is a cost a wizard endures where no ither caster does...

... for the record, when I see an arcane scroll in a chest - I pick up and send it to a lower level wizard guildie... should they already have the spell and send it back, I place it on the AH at a minimum gp buyout.

Steiner-Davion
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I never said anything about double dipping seeing as I have not even dipped once yet.

As a matter of Fact you have already dipped once.

Uou yourself posted:

The ere fact that you are doing a Lesser Reincarnation means that you have created said character, with a level of Wizard at somepoint along his previous life path. so when you selected that level of Wizard in his previous life, you got to pick your FREe Wizard spells. That is how you dipped the first time.

Then presumably you acquired either throug hcoin or treasure additional spells which you inscribed into your book. Those spells cost time and money to copy into your spellbook.

The choice the developers had was to wipe your book clean so that you could choose new Free spells, or keep your old spell book, so that you did not waste all those resources you spent acquiring and inscribing the other spells into your spell book.

Steiner-Davion
03-22-2010, 12:57 PM
finally, somebody that understands my problem. lesser reincarnations is not the same as TRUE reincarnation. none of my characters have ever made it to level 20. I lesser reincarnated at level 9 for a level 9 character of the same class and race with different stats. Upon reaching level 10 FOR THE FIRST TIME, I was denied the chance to recieve new spells. If this trend continues, I will be 22 spells down on a wizard that has never spent any money in the ddo store.

Your initial post did not state this. Yes, that is an issue.

Steiner-Davion
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
And that's an excuse to be rude to him?

No one was rude to him based upon the information he had originally posted.

He made Statement A.

Statement A, was literally inaccurate as he presented the facts. People called him on that.

Had he made Satement B, and posted very clearly what the problem was, ie leveling up after he finished Lesser Reincarnating and then not being able to inscribe free spells at each level up, you would have seen much different responses to his post.

Steiner-Davion
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM

The OP should have stated that this was what happened to him.

Arcaenium
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
This is a known bug and is not a hinderance at all. Join a guild. Tell them you need any and all scrolls. Inscribe them. Easy. I would say reincarnation is worth it. Maybe not lesser, but TRing is really worth it. It's the only way to not be a squishy and still retain your enormous DPS handling.

It sucks that you don't get two free spells per level but c'est la vie. Hell I have scrolls coming out of my ass. If you are on ghallanda, look Arcaenium up and I'll just give them to you.

DANTEIL
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Well the latest known issues (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=150534) update has at least officially acknowledged that this is a problem:

NEW - After lesser or greater reincarnating with any levels of Wizard, the Wizard trainer will not offer you any new spells when you level up. You will keep your existing spellbook, and you can inscribe new spells by using scrolls.

ddoer
04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Building the wizards spell book...

Take your bard to the portable hole.
Buy one of every arcane scroll along with enough inscription material for each.
Write down every level one spell you bought (if you're using veteran status write down 2nd levels you bought also).
Now go roll up your level 1 or (vet status - level 4) wizard.
Be sure to select spells not on your lists at level ups.
When you get off krothos (or the boat) go send all the scrolls from your bard.
Incribe the spells. (your int is high enough so learning spells all the way to even level nine spells may be done at level one)

or just check a scroll list to decide which spell you should take when leveling up
http://www.ddoer.com/guide/spell/scroll

Ryiah
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I have done so, I also tried to speak to a GM directly about it and warn others through this forum, unfortunately everyone on here seems to want to shoot me down in flames.
The reason that happened is you failed to word things correctly. If you had worded it such that it was clear new levels you were taking weren't allowing you to pick spells then people wouldn't have flamed you. If someone were to read just the first post you made they would come to the conclusion that wizard reincarnation was totally bugged and should be avoided. As it is, if you reincarnate at 20 (like I did) you won't have any problems whatsoever.

flaggson
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM

LOL ... reading the thread was totally worth it for that quote lol

Uska
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM

You lost nothing if you could inscribe new spells you would have gotten something extra only if your book had been wiped without you getting new spells would you have lost something. Other classes dont get extra loot by lesser reincarnating nor should wizards and yes inscribing more spells would be more loot since scrolls are loot not big loot but loot nonetheless.

PopeJual
04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
You lost nothing if you could inscribe new spells you would have gotten something extra only if your book had been wiped without you getting new spells would you have lost something. Other classes dont get extra loot by lesser reincarnating nor should wizards and yes inscribing more spells would be more loot since scrolls are loot not big loot but loot nonetheless.

He didn't do a good job of describing his problem, but he did lose something.

If you lesser/greater reincarnate before level 20, then you do not get to choose your two free spells per level when you level up on the airship. This works as intended and does not cause you to lose anything.

When you level up with XP AFTER the airship, however, you should be allowed to get the two free spells per level just as every other wizard does. DDO's code does not allow this, however. If you lesser/greater reincarnate at level 12 (for example), then on levels 13-20, you will miss out on those two free spells per level. This is especially painful at levels 15-20 when you should be getting 18 free spells that you cannot otherwise buy from vendors.

papa_bravo
05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
or just check a scroll list to decide which spell you should take when leveling up
http://www.ddoer.com/guide/spell/scroll

very interesting reading. thanks.

Renegade444
06-13-2010, 03:54 PM
This bug really ****es me off. I LR'd my lvl 14 TR wiz/rog, as I planned to do to change my feat selection dramatically from ones good for low level to ones good for high level. Now I'm not getting the level up spells. This is a SERIOUS pain in my ass, as I had no idea that this would happen. The info about the LR did not in any way make clear that I would be giving up my key level up spells, or I would not have planned the LR and would have just taken the high-level feats the first time. This is my main these days, and my only character worth mentioning on Orien. I cannot remotely afford AH prices to buy scrolls to work around this idiotic bug. And now that I've been looking for info on it, I find that it's been here for at least 3 months, if not longer. What wonderful performance on this one Turbine!

As for Turbine's choice here: If it really is a choice between wiping the spell book and letting one take free level up spells and this situation, it would have been MUCH easier to replace the lvl 1-5 spells I'd inscribed than it is to replace the 6-9 spells I now do not get to choose. Of course, the real answer is to have just done it right: Keep the spell book for the previous levels, and allow new levels taken after the LR/GR to work normally.

This REALLY has me STEAMING. *** Turbine? You can't either fix this or properly warn people about what's going to happen? Get a flippin' clue.

bradleyforrest
06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
This bug really ****es me off. I LR'd my lvl 14 TR wiz/rog, as I planned to do to change my feat selection dramatically from ones good for low level to ones good for high level. Now I'm not getting the level up spells. This is a SERIOUS pain in my ass, as I had no idea that this would happen. The info about the LR did not in any way make clear that I would be giving up my key level up spells, or I would not have planned the LR and would have just taken the high-level feats the first time. This is my main these days, and my only character worth mentioning on Orien. I cannot remotely afford AH prices to buy scrolls to work around this idiotic bug. And now that I've been looking for info on it, I find that it's been here for at least 3 months, if not longer. What wonderful performance on this one Turbine!

As for Turbine's choice here: If it really is a choice between wiping the spell book and letting one take free level up spells and this situation, it would have been MUCH easier to replace the lvl 1-5 spells I'd inscribed than it is to replace the 6-9 spells I now do not get to choose. Of course, the real answer is to have just done it right: Keep the spell book for the previous levels, and allow new levels taken after the LR/GR to work normally.

This REALLY has me STEAMING. *** Turbine? You can't either fix this or properly warn people about what's going to happen? Get a flippin' clue.

We understand that you're upset, but you don't need to post about it in 2 threads and then create your own.

PopeJual
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
This bug really ****es me off.

First off, it's not a bug. It's a design choice. You might not like the way that it works, but it is working the way that it's supposed to work currently. It's better than having wizards get free spells just because they reincarnated.

Second, it's changing in Update 5. As of Update 5, wizards will NOT get 2 spells per level while they're on the airship during their Lesser/Greater Reincarnate, but they WILL get 2 spells per level for any levels that they earn after that time on the airship.