PDA

View Full Version : Introduce new monk feat: Veristile strike

Veriden
03-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Monks get pretty shafted when it comes to dr and available gear so why not give them a chance from one of the official phb 2 feats? It allows a monk to alter his unarmed damage between bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing with out penalty. And it does not interfere with the pain in the rear it is to get a thrice be condemed boss beater for late levels.

Arel
03-21-2010, 07:44 AM
... I was about to argue against this, but it's actually not too bad of an idea. Mind you, there aren't that many creatures with DR /piercing or /slashing, but it would certainly help with zombies and mummies and the few other creatures that do.

I would say make it an enhancement though, like I mentioned, few enough creatures have it to warrant taking a whole feat for it, but a mid-level enhancement would certainly see some usage from at least some builds.

LookingForABentoBox
03-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Mummies have untyped DR actually

Angelus_dead
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Monks get pretty shafted when it comes to dr and available gear so why not give them a chance from one of the official phb 2 feats? It allows a monk to alter his unarmed damage between bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing with out penalty.
It wouldn't be bad to add it, except that spending a feat for that kind of damage would certainly be a waste.

It's true that some monk builds have a spare feat I suppose, but still, getting pierce and slash on your handwraps is almost irrelevant.

However, back when Monks were introduced I suggested that they be allowed to make a choice to get Versatile Unarmed Strike in place of Draconic Vitality for their Argonessen favor.

Marr0w1
03-21-2010, 12:47 PM
actually the prime problem is spiders (like the ones in the vale) and similar types, who have DR again blunt and slashing (fist/staff/kama) and thus the only monk weapon that can damage them is Rahls might, as it is considered to do all types.

Veriden
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I had only suggested it as a feat b/c it is a feat in the player's hand book 2 in dnd 3.5 pnp. But the suggestion for the enhancement fits this game much better, you would think monks would get a few enhancements for their unarmed strikes but as I just reached lvl 20 for the first time last night I see how well strapped for enhancement points the monk already is lol. Then again I did something that most people say is a no-no I got two stances in grand master status. I use them both though b/c i use freezing the life blood finisher almost constantly (Dc 43 in water stance is pretty nice I think)