PDA

View Full Version : Numbers vs. Bars

BrinLondo
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm kind of surprised that there doesn't seem to be an option to convert a PCs hit points, mana, and ki, from a "bar format" to a numbers. I'm not a fan of the bars. I find them misleading to a point. If two PCs are each down 20% on the HP bar, there's a huge difference in the amount of those HPs if you're looking at a Barb and Sorc.

I think it would take up less of the screen too. I'm sure some prefer the bars. I'd like to see numbers.

P.S. If there is a way you can change this, get back to me ASAP.

cluedout
03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
this would be awesome, would also save time having to check everyone on myddo, we at least get HP totals on everyone so we can kick the 250 hp rog before we even get started

/signed!

Hendrik
03-20-2010, 10:15 AM
We have this option, but only for ourselves - not others.

Visty
03-20-2010, 10:21 AM
imo bars are better cause then you have a visual effect of how much hp is left

if the bar is half full you instantly know that hes at roughly half hp

if you have 164/341 you dont know instantly that hes at half hp

shenthing
03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
This would require a feat were it ever implemented.

Symar-FangofLloth
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM

There's a cleric spell that should allow such a thing/
Unfortunately, I forget the name, and it doesn't seem to be a core spell.

Veriden
03-20-2010, 12:24 PM
There's a cleric spell that should allow such a thing/
Unfortunately, I forget the name, and it doesn't seem to be a core spell.

I believe its 'know status' or just 'status.

KKDragonLord
03-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Deathwatch

Symar-FangofLloth
03-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Deathwatch

No, Deathwatch lets you know if they're at dead, <0 HP, 0-3 HP, or >4 HP, undead, or not alive (like a construct).

Fairly useless, if you ask me. Considering we already have a bar for a general indicator and can tell when someone is dead. The only use it would have is dinging when a wiz goes into undead mode from pale master.

KKDragonLord
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
No, Deathwatch lets you know if they're at dead, <0 HP, 0-3 HP, or >4 HP, undead, or not alive (like a construct).

Fairly useless, if you ask me. Considering we already have a bar for a general indicator and can tell when someone is dead. The only use it would have is dinging when a wiz goes into undead mode from pale master.

Yeah you are right...
because everything that is implemented in this game is added exactly the way it is done in the books and cannot be changed to have improved usefulness ever ever...

SquelchHU
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Taking bets on how long it would be after a useful form of Deathwatch before the anti Deathwatch threads started.

Eladiun
05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
/Not Signed - It would become a giant E-Peen measuring stick.

Iaga
05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
imo bars are better cause then you have a visual effect of how much hp is left

if the bar is half full you instantly know that hes at roughly half hp

if you have 164/341 you dont know instantly that hes at half hp50% of 250 is wayyyyy different than 50% of 450. I'd much rather know the numbers TBH.

Sleepingcap
05-27-2010, 09:43 AM

By your standards I am guessing that DDO should have no levels, gear, damage, experience, loot, favor or classes.

So everyone would look, walk and be the same - no way for anyone to have a greater e-peen than the guy next to him when they all have the same stuff.

And I support this idea - would be great to know whether the guy I am healing is 100 hp from full or 20 hp.

Or at the very least, see the maximum hp the character can have and you can get the general idea what spell to use when he is at 50% hp.

Eladiun
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
So everyone would look, walk and be the same - no way for anyone to have a greater e-peen than the guy next to him when they all have the same stuff.

Have you looked around recently we are all wearing the same stuff.

redgod
05-27-2010, 09:50 AM

agreed but if some of these players actually saw how gimped they were when compared to others maybe they would fix the problems instead of thinking we all get 1 shotted by kobolds

Eladiun
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
agreed but if some of these players actually saw how gimped they were when compared to others maybe they would fix the problems instead of thinking we all get 1 shotted by kobolds

True...but there is already too much unsolicited build advice (often from those who should not be giving it) and it really only takes parting with someone once to realize that they are gimped.

zealous
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Well if you wanted to...you could probably write a script or optionally hire someone to do it for you.

A. manual entry or image analysis, to retrieve names of all players in the group
B. Retrieve HP from myDDO

C. Continously
---a. Read pixels of hp bars to determine red/non red
---b. Notify when someone is down to <var> hp

D. Optionally
---a. Autoselect that character
---b. calculate most efficient cure/heal
---c. cast most efficient cure/heal

Then again, doing any of the above would likely make healing duller not to mention D. possibly leading to getting banned.

Rakian_Knight
05-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I do and don't like this idea. I like it because it could help with spending less mana to heal the person with below average HP for some reason or another. Also, if you are a group of level 20 characters and the fighter has about 150 Max hp, most of the time you are going to know to cast Greater Restoration on him because he has about seven neg. levels that he didn't tell you about.

However, the part of me that doesn't like this is because I don't like the min-max stats and only one way to play the game that is expected. Let characters build that characters that they want to build and if they are effective great, if not, they are still fun and with a group that isn't braindead, a simple problem like not having a specific spell or specific item can be overcome with a different solution.

Dexol
05-28-2010, 01:42 AM

Nah.... Capstone

Bacab
05-28-2010, 02:07 AM
As a career healer I would like this.

Also knowing someones HP/SP would be helpful.

As far as "build advice" HP/CON is the only safe build advice. It is completely reasonable to have a High DEX/Low STR FTR. It is ok to have a High INT ROG or a High STR Bard or whatever. It is not ok to ever ever ever dump CON and ignore FL IFL GFL items.

This could also help some people. Lets say there is a ROG with a 14 CON (base), but they are uneducated on the low HP faults (like they lack a CON item and False Life item). Right before a Shroud or whatever you notice, that the said player has "lowish" HP. You could ask them if they have a CON item or GFL item. Could save them a lot of frustration.

Even better would be to get this problem corrected before level 17 (typical shroud level). If you were level 6 and saw a ROG with 40 HP, you would then ask..."Hey man, what is your CON score?" You would be doing *THEM* a great service on letting them know they should re-roll or LR into a better distribution of stats. A HP number would help these "one-hit wonders" be seen easier. Believe it or not, not all low HP toons are intentionally gimped. They honestly do not know better. Most MMOs have a "tank" and the DPS jobs generally do not worry about defense/armor class or Health/Hit Points.

The reason most "low HP gimps" get so defensive is they usually do not find out how important HP is until Shroud level. AKA after they have a lot of time and money/resources (can be plat or DDO store) invested in said character. Really most toons are not checked/MYDDOed until shroud level. This is alot of times the first "proof-reading" a new toon/player gets from a Vet.

Anyway, thats how I feel and feel free to disagree. I personally would not use this as a way to rip on people. I would use this as a way to educate people. Though I have to admit; the people unwilling to learn/take advice (just on HP not talking about weapon choices or feat choices)...I would probably not group with them again.

REALb0r3d
05-28-2010, 03:11 AM
This would allow newbies to be scolded for rediculous builds earlier on. This would be a teaching tool for them along the way.

This would allow conservation of resources.

If you measure your e-peen by your HP, have a great time AFAIC. If you constantly whip it out concerning HP, you probably do it with other things as well, and I probably won't be partying with you much longer anyways...

If I partied with somone that believed I had borderline useful HP, I explained and they didn't listen, I probably wouldn't be partying with them much longer anyways...

If they complained and I ended up getting my ass handed to me, its probably an indication I need a little more HP to pad player skill. (though in my humble opinion this becoming true is impossible :D)

Eladiun
05-28-2010, 06:43 AM
As a career healer I would like this.

Also knowing someones HP/SP would be helpful.

I know how many HP someone has after the first couple of heals I throw on them. Not an exact number but a ballpark estimate that I can base decisions off. Are there really that many times you ponder over what to throw?

This would allow newbies to be scolded for rediculous builds earlier on. This would be a teaching tool for them along the way.

ROLF... If you buy that I have ocean front property for you in Ohio. How's myDDO working out in this regard?

REALb0r3d
05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
I screen hp for raids with myddo. I take most anyone for normal quest PuGging.

They get mad when I tell them they need to work on it usually, but I don't keep tabs on their progression if thats what you're asking. As for me it works just fine.