PDA

View Full Version : More Milage - Spell Penetration II or Quicken Spell?

Jasimine
03-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I am currently leveling my drow sorceress and have reached level 13. I took Quicken at level 12 and have realized that I never use it right now so am swapping over to heighten right after I type this up. However this leaves me with a few questions regarding my remaining feat choices.

I know that which will be better does take into account what spells I plan on carrying regularly and my playstyle and build as well. So let me give a few bits of this to help.

Spells - Largely direct damage nukes, however i plan on maintaining instant kill spells such as Finger of Death (maybe) and Wail of the Banshee (Definatly) as well as some crowd controlling measures such as Mass Hold Monster and Flesh to Stone.

Playstyle - In a group I do what ever seems to mesh best with the group and lets me conserve my spell points to last between shrines. If firewalling and nuking are dropping enemies quickly (one cast per kill or better) I do that. If crowd controll and letting the melee mop up (F2S) works best I do that. If instakilling is proving most effective I do that (PK currently). I try to be flexible enough to move from tactic to tactic as best as my spell set allows me while remaining effective at all times in some way.

Build - Enhancement wise I have taken 2 levels of Spell Penetration and I do carry a Spell Pen VII scepter in my off hand for spell pen situations.

If there is more information needed, please ask. I am trying to decide between quicken, Spell Pen I/II (Looking at Spell pen I at level 15), and possibly a spell focus feat, for level 18.

Spell Pen 1 at level 15 is not set in stone if someone could point me to something more effective.

Current Feats are
Toughness
Maximize
Empower
Extend
Heighten (after I hit submit)

Kegbelly
03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
As a long-time Wizzie, I would have to say spell penetration. I base this on the simple fact that it doesn't matter how fast you cast if the spells don't land.
Now this is if you are going to be casting alot of FoD, PK, etc. Although some direct damage spells can have their effectiveness limited by poor speel penetration.

Just my two coppers worth.

Trimly

Rice
03-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Spell pen.

cdemeritt
03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
as a sorc, spell penn over quicken... your casting speed is already faster than most all other classes...
You need to break their SR if you wish for spells to land.... if you can't you'll blow your mana even faster with quicken...

Jasimine
03-21-2010, 09:47 AM
KK, thankies everyone!

So for feats I'll go

Toughness
Maximize
Empower
Extend
Heighten (Loving this, haven't turned it off since swapping)
Spell Pen I
Spell Pen II