PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Discount DDO Store

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I would like to see a customer loyalty discount for those of us who regularly spend Turbine Points in the DDO Store.
I for one like to spend real money on points, not only to line Turbine's coffers for improvements, but to make the game more fun. I like to purchase guest passes for F2P's so they can get a taste of P2P quests. I enjoy some of the seasonal hats, and the ring of friends is just neato.

That being said, how about a incremental discount to the folks who support the DDO store regularly. 5% overall discount after say 10,000 TP's have been spent? 10% at 25,000... etc. etc.

My numbers may not make sense, but I think you get the idea.

I don't need to hear how I am wasting my money, How I could have bought everything with that many TP's, How stupid it is to continue to pay my monthly $15(x2 Accounts) for no good reason.

Thought, it would be nice for those of us who don't mind spending real cash to help a company who's game we love.

Kind of a "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" idea.

Thoughts?

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
/bump

scampb
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Hmm, well I gues I will start things off. I applaud you for spending the money and the reasons you post for doing it. That is what will save this game. Not eveyone, unfortunatley, has the ability to do that though. I am back in to the game after a 15 month hiatus and the point system is all new to me. I like my 500 points per month, it has allowed me to add two +2 tomes to my 32pt build rogue, he rocks now. I am also planning on purchasing two blocks of points, the 5000 bundle, one for me and one for my son. For me so I can buy tomes and other cool stuff to twink my toons. For my son so he can purchase adventure packs and play more content. We will have to spread that out for a long time though because spending that much on TP's is just not in the budget (I actually have to use my birthday money, lol). So although I would never be able to take advantage of the discount for frequent flyers, I think it is a great idea. Give back a bit of love to gamers like you that help stuff the cofers. I ran with a cleric in a pug yesterday that mentioned that he buys 100 pots of pneumonic for about $15. This is the type of stuff that will our game to grow, so ya, offer a discount after reaching milestones. Sounds good. What say you?

Rasczak
03-19-2010, 08:21 AM
I would like to see a customer loyalty discount for those of us who regularly spend Turbine Points in the DDO Store.
I for one like to spend real money on points, not only to line Turbine's coffers for improvements, but to make the game more fun. I like to purchase guest passes for F2P's so they can get a taste of P2P quests. I enjoy some of the seasonal hats, and the ring of friends is just neato.

That being said, how about a incremental discount to the folks who support the DDO store regularly. 5% overall discount after say 10,000 TP's have been spent? 10% at 25,000... etc. etc.

My numbers may not make sense, but I think you get the idea.

I don't need to hear how I am wasting my money, How I could have bought everything with that many TP's, How stupid it is to continue to pay my monthly $15(x2 Accounts) for no good reason.

Thought, it would be nice for those of us who don't mind spending real cash to help a company who's game we love.

Kind of a "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" idea.

Thoughts?

Pay my sub for me and I'll scratch whatever you want :p

EDIT: Loyalty Discounts are good and get my vote......say no to piking

Mandy1980
03-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I think it is a good idea. I buy lots of hair dyes and loot potions, I say go for it Turbine!

Heffty_Smurf
03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
great idea and +1 rep, however i think that there should also be a discount for P2P players as well maybe 10%. I know a lot of people who are converting to F2P after years of playing and accumulating so many points that they can buy what the need without spending the same 15 or so dollars a month that still is the backbone of the game.

scampb
03-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I think it is a good idea. I buy lots of hair dyes and loot potions, I say go for it Turbine!

Do you find the loot potions work? Can you give an example? I have often thought about purchasing one but afraid it will be a waste if I am going to get a +2 flaming dwarven axe instead of a +1 flaming dwarven axe, lol. Sorry for pulling off topic.

Robi3.0
03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Are we talking about a perma discount? Or are we talking about a one transactions discount.

I am not for the perma discount and I don't think anyone in their right mind would.

Now while I personally believe that Turbine offers up enough discounts on a weekly basis that this probably isn't needed, I think a better "rewards" system would be to offer a one time discount for every X TP you purchase and use. X being far less the numbers you suggested.

Cyr
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
/signed

A permanent customer loyalty discount sounds like a good idea to me. Of course they should make it a small enough percentage not to cut into their bottom line more then they get back from it due to increased spending. Have that along with an account history for all Turbine points bought, credited, and spent. Then on that page you can have how much you have saved total. It works good for other businesses after all :)

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
To perma-discount or not to perma-discount that is the question!

Perhaps there could make a scale ie:
For every 5000 TP's spent you recieve 25% off your next purchase. That stacks with current discounted items.

For every 5000 TP's spent you recieve a 10% off all purchases for 3 months.

I am not really good with the mechanics of the numbers, so if there is someone who gets the idea of what I am suggesting feel free to expund on the idea.

Even if it was a free + 3 Greater Heart of Wood for every 10K TP spent...I would be cool with that.

Just a little somthing would be great!

SquelchHU
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Do you find the loot potions work? Can you give an example? I have often thought about purchasing one but afraid it will be a waste if I am going to get a +2 flaming dwarven axe instead of a +1 flaming dwarven axe, lol. Sorry for pulling off topic.

Loot potions raise the level of the loot by 1. So if you would normally pull a level 2 item like a +1 flaming dwarven axe, you would instead pull a level 3 item. Of course a +2 flaming dwarven axe is a level 4 item so that isn't helpful at all. There are a few situations in which they're useful, like vale chests (1 level lower than is required for +2 tomes, so you can get it but only with a loot gem) but aside from those breakpoints don't bother.

Shassa
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I would imagine their reply to be that they already have sales and promotions. However!

I have no idea why Turbine doesn't have loyalty rewards like a few other MMOs. It makes more sense for them to do this because of their pay structure than it does for the traditional setups. They need more incentives for people to go VIP, and giving in-game gifts at 3 months then every 6 months after that would be a nice way to do it. I'd make the four-year gift something pretty special too, not something expendable. Like a trinket with no minimum level that boosts all base stats by 1, hp, mp and striding by 5 and also has a showy effect when putting it on.

Darn it, if you've got a loyal customer all these years you should be showing your appreciation to them. There's too much competition to do otherwise.

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree, a 4 yr loyalty gift would be great!

As you mentioned other MMO's have structure reward programs..and so should DDO!

Robi3.0
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
It is amazing how short the memories of some people are. When DDO relaunched I remember very clearly getting roughly 40 dollars worth of Turbine points for free. That wasn't a good enough "Thanks for being so loyal gift"? Man, if so then you guys are just being ungrateful now.

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Rowbee,
This thread is in suggestions for a reason. I am not ranting about what I deserve. I am not whining that Turbine has not given enough.
I am simply suggesting that a loyalty program should be instated to optimize "customer retention".

This isn't for me to get some extra stuff..this is to help satisfy many people who will perhaps see the rewards from their customer loyalty be acknowledged and rewarded.

It is a basic marketing technique that is widely used through-out the world successfulyl..and will continue to be used.

I say it is time for Turbine to look at it (which I am certain they have talked about it) and see that other people would like to see something.

Robi3.0
03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I get what you are saying, but when I go to Krogers (A chain supermarket with a rewards program) and spend 250 dollar they give me a free Turkey during the holidays not a perma X% discount on everything I buy from them until the end of time. Rewards programs are great but what your OP suggested is way out there and possible more damaging to Turbine's bottom line then not keeping the costumers that is program would retain.

As I said earlier one shot discounts after X amount of Turbine points are spent is a balanced idea that Turbine may entertain. Perma discounts are not.

ArloOne
03-19-2010, 04:08 PM
I see your point more clearly now, I like it...I am a firm believer in loyalty reward programs.
I get my free turkey every year as well. And I go back every year to get the next one!
They also send me flyers and coupons. I also get a bonus the more times I use my card a discount on gasoline appears.
I hope you see where I am going with this.

Mandy1980
03-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I understand what both of you are saying, just something will do!

ArloOne
03-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the great input!

Atenhotep
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
A Frequent Shopper Card. (Essentially)

I worked at a hobby store many moons ago that offered Shopper Points based on how much money you spent there.

After having spent "X" number of dollars you would get a discount card good towards your next purchase.

That's one idea but I might suggest something different such as Bonus Turbine Points after you hit some set ceiling of TP point purchases. (Free Points which you get for being a "Valued Customer").

Perhaps there is no timer on the purchases you've made or perhaps there is. (Example: One Grocery Store Chain grants Reward Discounts for anyone who has spent X number of dollars within X amount of time.)

Aten

ckorik
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
As I said earlier one shot discounts after X amount of Turbine points are spent is a balanced idea that Turbine may entertain. Perma discounts are not.

Not trying to be a debbie downer here... but they already do offer a perma-discount - based on how many points you buy.

Points are setup to buy like this:

400 = $6.50 = 1.625 cents per point. You get a bonus of 20 points (or 32.5 cents)

on the high end:

3100 = $49.99 = 1.6125 (and on) cents per point. You get a bonus of 1900 points (or $30.64).

If you want to find the total discount on the package (5000 points) take the cost for the low point package and use that for 5000 points...

1.625 cents * 5000 = $81.25

subtract actual cost of 5000 points ($81.25 - $49.99 = $31.26)

So as a loyal customer spending more money you get $31.26 worth of free points or... a 38% discount

And so far... that's permanent :)

Ok.. too much math I'm going back to my rock

Robi3.0
03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
[snip]

Umm.... I think you are confused there my good sir. What you have pointed out is more a kin to my one shot discount proposal then the prema discounts suggested in the OP.

First they are not permanent because you only get discount at time of purchase, for example if I buy 5000 point on Monday I would get the 38% discount, but on Tuesday I purchased only 420 points. On Tuesday I would only get the 32 cent discount. That doesn't seem very permanent to me in fact it almost seems like the discounts only effect EACH INDIVIDUAL points package I purchase.

What is suggested in the OP is that once a player has purchased 10,000 Turbine points They get a 25% discount on everything in the store forever. Thats a total 10,000 TP you which you could get by purchasing 2/5,000 point packages or roughly 24/420 point packages or any combo in between. There are 2 reasons why this is bad. 1) The game doesn't differentiate between points bought with money and points farmed through game play. When making store purchases. So it is very possible from a player who has earn this discount to also reap its benefit using point that he hasn't paid money for. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the program in the first place. 2) A player that has earned this discount now get 25% off regardless of whither he purchases 420 or 5,000 points or farms however many points he needs for whatever he wants.

Do you understand the difference now.

KKDragonLord
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe a Mileage system would work...

ckorik
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Umm.... I think you are confused there my good sir. What you have pointed out is more a kin to my one shot discount proposal then the prema discounts suggested in the OP.

First they are not permanent because you only get discount at time of purchase, for example if I buy 5000 point on Monday I would get the 38% discount, but on Tuesday I purchased only 420 points. On Tuesday I would only get the 32 cent discount. That doesn't seem very permanent to me in fact it almost seems like the discounts only effect EACH INDIVIDUAL points package I purchase.

This is a situation where a discount is being applied at time of purchase - but not on individual goods.

I do understand - what is being asked for is a discount on all items in the store - my point was you get a discount - but on the points purchased - not on items themselves.

Suppose (to illustrate the point only) that the 49.99 package was 3000 points... no bonus. *but* you had a fixed 38% discount in the store. Your purchasing power would be about the same (slight difference due to rounding but close enough to call it equal).

Instead you get a 38% discount on the cost of 5000 points - which you can then hold - until the items in the store you are looking for go on sale.

If you combine the best discount + store sales you can get a heck of a deal - all of this assuming you think the price of points *and* the price in the store is fair and reasonable.

Unfortunately because of the steep discount of the point packages as they stand already - and the sales they do - I can't ever see them offering a permanent discount to store items.