PDA

View Full Version : Can We Get Another Trinket Slot?

Ganolyn
03-18-2010, 01:18 AM
If we can have two rings, I see no reason not to be able to have two trinkets. Thats it. Thank you. :-)

Angelus_dead
03-18-2010, 01:25 AM
When they add the Artificer class it could be OK if they can equip a second trinket, but with an effective +6 to its minimum level...

KKDragonLord
03-18-2010, 01:30 AM
for the same reason why we dont carry 10 rings, 5 in each hand.

Its in PnP

or if you prefer, there is only so much magic that you can wear, its like there is a limit to the amount of "magic currents" running through your body.

short answer: Nyet

but as A_D pointed out, there is one class that can pull it off, sadly, it's not coming Soon(tm) (if ever)

Vormaerin
03-18-2010, 01:31 AM
There's no reason we couldn't wear multiple necklaces, more than two rings, or other such things. The game limits it as a function of balance. Obviously, if we could we'd have rings on every finger and thumb (several fantasy series do this), earrings (planescape did this), tattoos (again planescape), and all sorts of other magical stuff...

But the only way to do that is if all the jewelry sucked, so you had to have lots of it to get anything decent in total. Better to have one nice thing than need 10 pieces to equal it.

Auran82
03-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I believe there are epic feats that let you wear extra items too right?

Like extra ring/necklace/bracers etc.

Ganolyn
03-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Its in PnP

or if you prefer, there is only so much magic that you can wear, its like there is a limit to the amount of "magic currents" running through your body.

Yeah I know and I never agreed with it there either. Trinket is such a non-descript term it can cover everything from earings to brooches to belt buckles. I just think that two small pieces of jewelry other than a necklace isn't too much magic. There's some pretty cool trinkets out there, but other than the Bloodstone and a few others do any really get used after a certain point? They might if you could have a secondary slot. It would be nice to have that BS and maybe a Fragment of the Silver Flame too.

KKDragonLord
03-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah I know and I never agreed with it there either. Trinket is such a non-descript term it can cover everything from earings to brooches to belt buckles. I just think that two small pieces of jewelry other than a necklace isn't too much magic. There's some pretty cool trinkets out there, but other than the Bloodstone and a few others do any really get used after a certain point? They might if you could have a secondary slot. It would be nice to have that BS and maybe a Fragment of the Silver Flame too.

Its Magic

It doesn't have to be the way you want or would like

The Real reason is balance, Obviously. The very reason why you cant have two three or four very nice effects from the same type of item.

The entire magic item system in PnP is based on that, you can only have certain effects on certain types of items so if you have 2 items of the same type you have to make a tactical choice.

MaugDeepaxe
03-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Here's what the Pnp rules say:

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.

One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
One pair of boots or shoes on the feet
Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.

Some items can be worn or carried without taking up space on a character’s body. The description of an item indicates when an item has this property.
So we are missing a vest/shirt slot and trinkets fall into the category described in the last sentence. After all in PnP you could have multiple Ioun stones equipped.

For balance reasons you would not want to make trinkets unlimited but I do not think one extra slot would be out of the question.

Schwarzie
03-18-2010, 05:21 AM
In PnP it was possible to produce Items without a fixed slotö In creation they cost double the normal amount. Like the poster before me already pointed out, Iounstones are such a thing. These Items give their boni even when not occupieing one of the fixed slots.

So yes, it would be nice to gain at least one more trinket slot, for another category of items, the slotless ones.

Vormaerin
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
"Trinket" isn't a p&p slot. It is the slot for "slotless" gear. That's why everything that can be gotten in that slot is relatively weak for its ml (+2 stats on Iouan stones at ml 9, for example). Of course, those items all have weaknesses in p&p that aren't in DDO. Iouan stones are flying around your head, plain as day and rather vulnerable.

Anyway, its always "nice" to have more loot and power. The question that is more relevant is 'how does it make the game better'? I wasn't under the impression we were lacking power to compete.. You aren't going to get anything really useful in that slot anyway; every effect that matters will already be on some other piece of equipment at a higher rating (half effect limit, remember?). So all we are talking about is convenience items like the bottle of air or the mummified bat. Fragment of the Silver Flame or Dusk Heart might be useful for the buff impaired.

The other factor to consider is that p&p has a DM to keep control of the players' access to slotless items. DDO doesn't. So its got a built in reason to be more limiting that the literal rules.

Anderei
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Its in PnP

or if you prefer, there is only so much magic that you can wear, its like there is a limit to the amount of "magic currents" running through your body

Why should you be able to wear only 1 ring per finger, I can put at least 5 rings on one finger! Total ring capacity: 46 (3 rings for the thumb).

Answer: Why make the game yet easier with another slot?

And you have to turn of some part of logical reflection in your brain for this game anyway. (starting with e.g. friendly fire firewalls, clairvorance abilities of dungeon alerts, your ability to carry 80 hammers unencumbered, the ability of taking thousand of hits with swords, axes, pikes,... to never lose a limb or eye, one scarf is all you get, and you get this from "creation" already... etc. etc.)

Visty
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Why should you be able to wear only 1 ring per finger, I can put at least 5 rings on one finger! Total ring capacity: 46 (3 rings for the thumb).

because if active magic rings come too close together, they go KABOOOMM!!!

or something along those lines

Anderei
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
because if active magic rings come too close together, they go KABOOOMM!!!

or something along those lines

Oh make it 4 rings per finger then, and I'll organize some shims.

Futility
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
If we can have two rings, I see no reason not to be able to have two trinkets. Thats it. Thank you. :-)
Granted. But after 2 years of vague developer responses some player's testing determines they don't stack in any way.

Cyr
03-18-2010, 10:03 AM
/signed

Trinkets in normal dnd are NOT body limited like rings, gloves, and the plethora of other item types. Due to this they are weaker pound for pound. In DDO they decided to put the single limit on probably due to data base use more then anything else.

I would love to see the trinket number allowed go up to 3+. That would make more trinkets viable in game instead of the rather limited number that are now. Yes it would be a power creep, but even in it's biggest form litany + bloodstone it is a max 2 extra dps a swing which falls right in line with a non FB using the FB set. In other words, good but not game breaking.

Daggaz
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I think you should be allowed to wear more rings and trinkets, perhaps by taking some sort of epic feat.

I also think that as you wear more items, the chances that you are kidnapped and forced into some kind of inanimate stasis to power an evil beholder/mindflayer/eladrin/etc's doomsday machine should go up equally if not exponentially.

And then there are those pesky dragons looking to increase their hoards..

ArichValtrahn
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
There's no reason we couldn't wear multiple necklaces, more than two rings, or other such things.

That amount of jewelry can only be equipped by a Night Elf Mohawk.