PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with Half-Orc racial enhancements

Shassa
03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Now that we know that Half-Orcs will be coming along, why don't we toss around some ideas for enhancements? Half-Orcs aren't known for their subtlety, so I think this is a great oppurtunity for Turbine to get creative and have some fun with it!

Please note that these suggestions range from mostly serious to goofy. I'm less concerned with arguing about class balancing in this thread (although yes in the end they need to be worthwhile) than I am about brainstorming and flirting with the inherently tongue-in-cheek nature of Half-Orc characters. The fact that they will get a Strength enhancement is a given. I want Turbine to capture how uncouth they really are. We're talking about jamming that square shape into the circular hole, RAWR.

Half-Orc Negotiation I: +2 bonus to Intimidation, -2 penalty to Diplomacy
Half-Orc Negotiation II: +4 bonus to Intimidation, -4 penalty to Diplomacy
Half-Orc Negotiation III: +6 bonus to Intimidation, -6 penalty to Diplomacy

Half-Orc Brutality I: +1 untyped bonus to damage, +10% item wear to weapons
Half-Orc Brutality II: +2 untyped bonus to damage, +20% item wear to weapons
Half-Orc Brutality III: +3 untyped bonus to damage, +30% item wear to weapons

Half-Orc Extortion I: +50% reward from quests that award gold, +1 available option from quests that award items.
Half-Orc Extortion II: +100% reward from quests that award gold, +2 available options from quests that award items.
Half-Orc Extortion III: +200% reward from quests that award gold, +3 available options from quests that award items.

Not All There I: 1 DR/-, +1 Energy Resistance, -1 penalties to INT, Spot, and Listen
Not All There II: 2 DR/-, +2 Energy Resistance, -2 penalties to INT, Spot, and Listen
Not All There III: 3 DR/-, +3 Energy Resistance, -3 penalties to INT, Spot, and Listen

Tribal Rythem (Can't Stop the Music) I: +2 Perform, +1 Balance, -1 penalty to saves vs. Enchantments and +10% duration of enemy enchantments
Tribal Rythem (Can't Stop the Music) II: +4 Perform, +2 Balance, -2 penalty to saves vs. Enchantments and +20% duration of enemy enchantments
Tribal Rythem (Can't Stop the Music) III: +6 Perform, +3 Balance, -3 penalty to saves vs. Enchantments and +30% duration of enemy enchantments

Booyah! I: Does absolutely nothing but you're so powerful that you can take this just to show that you're overpowered as it is.
Booyah! II: So much cooler and showier than Booyah! I
Booyah! III: Total awe.

LookingForABentoBox
03-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Someone more creative than me would have to think of a lore reason for it but maybe if we give half-orcs bastard sword enhancements it will give the weapon some use in ddo

CSFurious
03-17-2010, 03:41 PM
i like the brutality line, that would be cool as a real enhancement

however, let's not make half-orcs too powerful or there will be no reason to roll a dwarf anymore, i.e., only serious melees at end game will be wf & half-orcs

gavagai
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Half-Orc Ugly I: Your face is so ugly even your mother didn't love you. -1 to all CHA-based skills.
Half-Orc Ugly II: Your face is so ugly, you make milk curdle. -2 to all CHA-based skills.
Half-Orc Ugly III: Your ugliness is so legendary... even the smallest drop of love is appreciated. +250% Healing Amp.

Therilith
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
This is Eberron. Half-Orcs aren't really that unpleasant here compared to how they are usually portrayed in other campaign settings.

(StopHavingFunGuys)

Baahb3
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
The obvious one to me will be:

Racial Strength I and II

I would like to see some power attack enhancement on this race too, to compete with all the tin boxes out there.

gavagai
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
The obvious one to me will be:

Racial Strength I and II

I would like to see some power attack enhancement on this race too, to compete with all the tin boxes out there.

+4 STR = +2 to hit, +2 to damage (+3 damage with THF). For all weapons, and for 6 AP, too (compare with 12 AP for Dwarven/Elven racial lines). Without even talking about different damage boosts, Half-Orc is already better than all races except Halfling and Warforged on low-fort, non-epic enemies.

IMMO Power attack boosts will be a little too OP, and a little too cookie cutter. My guess is they use some damage/con boost, something between HV and a rage.

salmag
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Half-Orc Stench I: -2 Hide. Also, enemies (and friends) within a 10 ft radius make a Fortitude Save vs. the Character's level or cower until out of range. Dwarves are immune to this affect, thinking it is their own smell.

Half-Orc Stench II: -4 Hide. Also, enemies (and friends) within a 10 ft radius make a Fortitude Save vs. the Character's level or collapse until out of range. Dwarves are immune to this affect, thinking it is their own smell.

Half-Orc Stench III: -6 Hide. Also, enemies (and friends) within a 15 ft radius make a Fortitude Save vs. the Character's level or collapse and begin violently convulsing (taking 1d2 every 2 seconds while in range). Dwarves are immune; however, they find the opposing stench so attractive they must make a Will save vs. the Character's level or become charmed.

Kaganfindel
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Someone more creative than me would have to think of a lore reason for it but maybe if we give half-orcs bastard sword enhancements it will give the weapon some use in ddo

Takes One to Know One:
Your sense of kinship with the bastard sword gives you +1 to hit with that weapon. (I, II, III)

Painful Reminder:
Just thinking about the word, "bastard sword" makes you angry. You gain +1 to damage rolls with that weapon. (I, II, III)