PDA

View Full Version : USB headset recognition

Skyrmir
03-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a Creative cordless headset that I sometimes forgetfully leave on the charger when I enter DDO.

Unfortunately DDO apparently does not sense new USB devices coming online after initialization of the game, requiring me to /quit and restart to gain access to my headset while playing. When this happens after I have entered a quest (the usual case I am afraid) I suspect I encounter an HP penalty by quitting and restarting, then re-entering the quest.

Given that I am on Win7, with Plug and Play dynamic device recognition, I assume DDO has access to the appropriate interrupt info concerning newly attached devices. It would be a great help to forgetful types like myself if you could update your audio device selection list when new devices come online.

Quietstorm
03-17-2010, 08:49 AM
this is done under the audio settings. Change the settings after the headset has been unplugged and turned on. I know the headset will work but perhaps not the mic...this sometimes happens to me. Finish the quest typing and then restart before the next quest. At least that way you can hear.

Gandalfs_Ghost
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
It is possible the audio settings are defaulting back since you say your headsets not on when you start the game. However you should be able to simply turn on your headset and (assuming windows sees it okay) then just manually switch your audio back to your headset in ddo audio options without having to restart the game.

Harncw
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
It is possible the audio settings are defaulting back since you say your headsets not on when you start the game. However you should be able to simply turn on your headset and (assuming windows sees it okay) then just manually switch your audio back to your headset in ddo audio options without having to restart the game.

/qft

Skyrmir
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Well folks that's the problem - without a game exit and restart the list in the audio section does NOT update.(Even /logoff and restart char doesn't do it.) I should have mentioned that in the first post - sorry about that.

blitzschlag
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Well folks that's the problem - without a game exit and restart the list in the audio section does NOT update.(Even /logoff and restart char doesn't do it.) I should have mentioned that in the first post - sorry about that.

thats usual behaviour of consumer software. constantly looking for new hardware that might have been attached would give a huuuge hit in performance.

Skyrmir
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Polling for new devices could have a performance hit, true - especially if poorly implemented. But I am pretty sure there is an event interface for this (should be, in any case) which has no performance implications until a device actually is added.