PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul: why do I keep 'missing'?

Leucius
03-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Yo Forum Geeks and Keepers of All DDO Knowledge,

I just started a new character - a Drow Favored Soul, as I'm a caster at heart but thought I'd give a bit of this whole melee thing a try.

My problem is that I seem to miss more than I hit when fighting (which, in addition to jeopardizing my life, is keeping my kill count way down, which in turn is making me sad :( cos I'm used to always coming out on top with my sorc).

I've got the two-handed weapon fighting feat and am fighting (mostly) with a rapier and a shortsword (rapier for the monstrous humanoid bane while doing all the Kobold quests, before anyone asks why I'm not maxing use of the Drow's race ability with two short swords).

Anyone give me any tips on how to not miss so often and suck so bad? If not I'm going back to my sorc... :\

All comments welcome. Thanks.

Kyrn
03-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Yo Forum Geeks and Keepers of All DDO Knowledge,

I just started a new character - a Drow Favored Soul, as I'm a caster at heart but thought I'd give a bit of this whole melee thing a try.

My problem is that I seem to miss more than I hit when fighting (which, in addition to jeopardizing my life, is keeping my kill count way down, which in turn is making me sad :( cos I'm used to always coming out on top with my sorc).

I've got the two-handed weapon fighting feat and am fighting (mostly) with a rapier and a shortsword (rapier for the monstrous humanoid bane while doing all the Kobold quests, before anyone asks why I'm not maxing use of the Drow's race ability with two short swords).

Anyone give me any tips on how to not miss so often and suck so bad? If not I'm going back to my sorc... :\

All comments welcome. Thanks.

1) I hope that is not a typo, since if you are using two weapons, you should be getting two weapon fighting instead.
2) At lower levels, it may be a good idea to use 1 weapon only even so, until you get +5 weapons and other methods to boost your to-hit.

blitzschlag
03-17-2010, 05:15 AM

well, i was about to write something helpful but upon reading this i decided not to. just use the forum search.

Leucius
03-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Not a typo, but was a mistake - I've got two weapon fighting.

ivar415
03-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Open inventory screen, try out different weapons, notice the to hit numbers. Big numbers is good.

Open character screen and start reading the fricken descriptions in your feats.

If you really took the wrong feat then go to Fred in House Jorasco (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred), bring some money and a yellow syberis shard to change the useless two-handed feat out to the 2 weapons feat.

You can also get a free feat change from a quest in the market (next to the AH), but save this for later levels.

Edit: Ah ok, then. Just try to level up more. Check out the Finesse feat if you have higher DEX than STR.

zealous
03-17-2010, 06:02 AM
rapier for the monstrous humanoid bane while doing all the Kobold quests,

kobolds are reptilian
ogres are giants
sahuagin are monstrous humanoids

before anyone asks why I'm not maxing use of the Drow's race ability with two short swords

Missing alot is likely due to using 2wf without the appropriate feat but could also be influenced by:
*Having weapons with low +
*Having low str and lacking weapon finesse
*Having low str and dex
*Not flanking
*Moving while swinging
*Not having divine favor
*Not being (wand) buffed with bulls strength and/or cats grace
*Not having a lowbie twink heroism clicky
*Not having khortos equipment granting +to hit

Leucius
03-17-2010, 06:22 AM
cool. i do have the right feat, so will look at some of the other things that have been suggested. cheers.

petegunn
03-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Have a look at Impacts melee spec fvs 18 fvs 2 monk, race elf for the scimitar enhancements. The thing with fvs is to use the dp and df spells.
Another thing to take into concideration generally as a rule I don't start twf to at least level 8 depending on class. There is a large penalty to hit until you build up your bab

KualaBangoDango
03-17-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm still new myself, so I'm not sure exactly what weapon-types those are, but with your character page open make sure you have the right weapon in the correct hand. Swap your two weapons back and forth between your hands to make sure you get the best attack number. The bigger weapon (I think rapier) should go in your main hand while the smaller weapon should go in your off-hand. If you accidentally reverse them then you get lower attack numbers.

Also you may want to tell us what your Strength is. For melee fighting, strength is usually what determines how well you hit (unless you use finesse for dex builds). The higher your strength the more often you hit, so make sure you don't have too low a Str number.

Shade
03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Well your playing the class with pretty close to the worst possible to-hit value in the game, using the attack style with the worst possible to-hit value in the game..

You should expect to have trouble pretty much no matter what you do throughout the game.

The favored soul class is absolutely NOT a melee class. They are a caster/healing class, with extremely limited melee capabliity.

If your looking for a mele class with some healing ability, that would be a Paladin.

Impatiens
03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Divine_Favor use it all the time. Also http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Divine_Power once you have access to it.

If you are having trouble hitting things now, try just using one weapon for a while until you get more spells/items/etc that will help add to your +hit.

FVS can absolutely be a melee capable healing class, but it does take some work to get them melee friendly.

tihocan
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I guess the most likely explanation is you have low Str and no Weapon Finesse. And hopefully the shortsword is your off-hand...

Fattiest
03-17-2010, 08:01 AM
it seems like some of the mistakes you are making are common to new players, i would reccomend finding a build off the forums and getting tips from it.

that way might not be as creative but at lease you will have a working build with correct feats. when you have a more indepth understanding of feats and to-hit you should try your own.

on my FvS, evoker type i was able to fight great at lower levs with a LS and shield....higher levs BB is all i've needed so far.

Dylos_Moon
03-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Well your playing the class with pretty close to the worst possible to-hit value in the game, using the attack style with the worst possible to-hit value in the game..
He's not playing a wizard, he's playing a favored soul.

Favored Souls at level 4 have +3 BAB, and a free weapon focus of their choice that stacks with weapon focus. A level 2 Wizard has +2 BAB and very little proficiencies. FvS does not have the worst to hit, Wizards do.

Using divine favor, the FvS can have one of the highest to hit values at lower levels even, and again once they get divine power. Favored Souls have the same base attack bonus as rogues and bards, 3/4 and divine power gives them full BAB with full spell casting abilities, unlike the wizard's tensor's transformation.

What I would suggest is use the weapon which you took the free feat for, that grants you an additional +1 to hit, since you're drow, it's probably the shortsword, but check just to make sure. Additionally when using shortswords, you should also probably take the drow enhancement for another +1 to hit. (if you meet the level requirement.)

Impatiens
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
What I would suggest is use the weapon which you took the free feat for, that grants you an additional +1 to hit, since you're drow, it's probably the shortsword, but check just to make sure. Additionally when using shortswords, you should also probably take the drow enhancement for another +1 to hit. (if you meet the level requirement.)

Dylos makes a good point, do you have http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Drow_Melee_Attack_I ? I'd use two short swords if you are going to try using two weapons since I'm assuming you took the favored by Vulkoor feat as a Drow.

The main thing is to use the proper weapons that you have feats/enhancements for and to use the self buffing abilities that you have.

BladedThesis
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
With the drow enhancement, rapier mainhand and shortsword offhand is best. If you ever pick up oversized two weapon fighting, just go dual rapiers. If you dont have the spell Divine Favor, pick it up as it helps your attack. Also make sure your STR is decent. If you dont have good STR you need the feat Weapon Finesse and high Dex instead. Not having a high str could be the reason you're not hitting.

Impatiens
03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
With the drow enhancement, rapier mainhand and shortsword offhand is best. If you ever pick up oversized two weapon fighting, just go dual rapiers. If you dont have the spell Divine Favor, pick it up as it helps your attack. Also make sure your STR is decent. If you dont have good STR you need the feat Weapon Finesse and high Dex instead. Not having a high str could be the reason you're not hitting.

The Vulkoor feat line that Drow FVS can get only applies to shortswords though, not both shortswords and rapiers like the Drow racial enhancements.

Leucius
03-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Thanks all.

Seemed to do a bit better last night.

To confirm, I DO have TWF, Favoured by Vulkoor and Divine Favour. Will take Weapon Finesse when I level to 5 (prob tonight, as I need about 8k xp) as I've got way higher DEX than STR (as you'd expect). I can get this feat at level 5, right?

Trillea
03-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks all.

Seemed to do a bit better last night.

To confirm, I DO have TWF, Favoured by Vulkoor and Divine Favour. Will take Weapon Finesse when I level to 5 (prob tonight, as I need about 8k xp) as I've got way higher DEX than STR (as you'd expect). I can get this feat at level 5, right?

level 6 - you get choosable general feats at 1,3,6,9,12,15,and 18

Leucius
03-18-2010, 05:51 AM
level 6 - you get choosable general feats at 1,3,6,9,12,15,and 18

Is the compendium lying to me?:

"Favored Souls may select one additional feat at levels 1, 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, and 20 from the list below."

Or are these not 'general' feats?

Trillea
03-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Is the compendium lying to me?:

"Favored Souls may select one additional feat at levels 1, 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, and 20 from the list below."

Or are these not 'general' feats?

These are favored soul only feats. Weapon finesse I believe is not on that list, but I will check.

Edit: I was correct, it is not one of the favored soul special feats.

Symar-FangofLloth
03-18-2010, 05:57 AM
The levels 5, 10, and 15 feats are a stackable Resist Energy 10: you get three types, and can only pick a type once.

Leucius
03-18-2010, 08:31 AM
These are favored soul only feats. Weapon finesse I believe is not on that list, but I will check.

Edit: I was correct, it is not one of the favored soul special feats.

:(

Looks like I'll be getting it some time over the weekend, at level 6, then...

ArichValtrahn
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
If you want to melee as a FvS, you really should consider the Lord of the Blades route.

Im leveling up this build: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=211596

And its working pretty well so far. I havent had any trouble hitting through levels 1-10.

Note that the FvS can get Greatsword bonuses, so that is really the way to go unless your race gives you a preferred weapon type as well (in which case yours does).

Impaqt
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM

You should expect to have trouble pretty much no matter what you do throughout the game.

The favored soul class is absolutely NOT a melee class. They are a caster/healing class, with extremely limited melee capabliity.

If your looking for a mele class with some healing ability, that would be a Paladin.

Close to the Worst also happens to be Second Best.

THis isnt a BAB Problem at all. This is a Playstyle and/or Build problem.

the FvS can absolutely be played as a Melee class. Wheres your Compassion shade?

OP:

What is the Build? FvS 's can be built a multitude of ways. Some more adept at melee than others.

Lorad
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I just started a Drow FvS as well, I don't run with divine favor right now (only level 6), two weapon fighting, toughness, extend, and favored with vulkor, I am not leading the kill count (which really means nothing anyway, I wish there was a DPS meter, but I digress) but I am in the top 2 and I am usually the only person throwing out heals as well.
I have no trouble soloing quests my level hard or normal. Of course this may change, but since I am bumping wisdom as I level hopefully BB will be the answer as I level up, with a little melee on the side. Sure my strength will never be equal to the warrior/barb, but I can still get the +6 item eventually, get bab = my level (with divine power, and divine favor will give a nice boost to damage etc, with power attack and BB this should be a viable melee + caster)

JOTMON
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM

I'll have to disagree with you here Shade.

A FvS is a viable DPS Build granted some choices have to be made early on in regards to stats.
The Favoured sould is dependant on self buffs to maintain any sort of decent dps, but do receive enhancements based on racial lines and core racial weapons and buffing Divine Power and Divine Favor..

A WF with Greatsword with stats in STR and CON and CHA for buffs and mana (no viable DC spells due to low wis)
Drow with Shortswords Weapons Finess/High Dex.
Elf with Scimitars or Falchion.
etc etc....

If investments are made into WIS/CHA and STR/DEX are neglected then I would say the melee path is worthless.

Paladins are superior if facing their divine enemies like devils but lose all the divine abilites vs non-outsiders.

So situationally the Paladin is better like in Amarath. but a Favoured soul is a viable build and like any other class needs to be built up right, usually meaning focussed on one aspect with a lesser investment in a second aspect.

Aspects being

Melee - STR or Dex
Mana - CHA
DC's - WIS

you can only really meaningfully build in 2 of the 3 aspects with a Primary and secondary focus.

Varr
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
If your level six now.....with a bit of plat investment.....you can perma fight downing 5 minute heroism pots(available at level 4)......and one run of tangleroot hard and your set with 30 min buffs of +4 str.

That will likely be +3 to hit you don't currently have (assuming +2 str equipt.). You can also be more frugal and only heroism pot up at mini boss and boss fights if in a slower nrlew group.