PDA

View Full Version : Saw this in "Ask a Dev" Transcript

Sir_Chonas
03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
The idea never even crossed my mind. .

While reading the transcript I saw a "message from a new player."

It said, "why don't we have 'gear sets' like weapon sets, you could put an armor, bracers, cloak, necklace, rings, boots, trinket, goggles, and gloves in one slot [Like a set for every resistance, beholders, swimming, jumping, or so on]."

That's a pretty neat idea. Think of being able to have a TS set (voice + master's touch) whenever you know there's a door near and you don't have tharne's. Or if you know a quest well you can set up sets to change between mobs (most useful for long quests with multiple mob types). Though the "beholder set" would be the biggest boon for me, I can imagine wizards having sets for different schools of casting, and tanks switching from DPS to intimidate would have the most usage.

Bolo_Grubb
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I would love gear sets.

To be able to switch between say "UMD", "DPS" and "AC" gear sets on a fighter would be great.

Gol
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Tharne's
Lorrik's
Levik's
Glacier
ToD rings / Amrath gear (36 sets iirc)
Korthos starter sets

You mean like those?

flynnjsw
03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I would have to agree with this one. If nothing else, it could reduce the number of hotbars people have to use.

Gol
03-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh, you mean shortcuts for entire sets?

Eh, it'd save some hotbar real estate, but that's about it. /shrug

kaelis
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Tharne's
Lorrik's
Levik's
Glacier
ToD rings / Amrath gear (36 sets iirc)
Korthos starter sets

You mean like those?

He means a hotkey where you press it to swap multiple items at once. Similar to swapping between dual vorpals and dual mineral 2's execpt it would work for your entire(or however many items) your character wanted to swap at once.

Pwesiela
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
He means a hotkey where you press it to swap multiple items at once. Similar to swapping between dual vorpals and dual mineral 2's execpt it would work for your entire(or however many items) your character wanted to swap at once.

I'm ok with this for things like skills items. As long as the swapping also includes the time for changing armors, I'd even be OK with an "AC set" v. "DPS set"

It would certainly help a lot of rogues or rogue splashes out.

Sir_Chonas
03-16-2010, 03:20 PM

That's the point. It's not supposed to save inv space or anything, just make the game a little more visually appealing. It would currently save me . . . 4/5 hotbar spaces.

It would be really handy for a melee soloer with one slot full of clickies, so instead of having to click everything 2x (one to equip and 1 to proc), you could click the "all clickies set" and whichever buff clickies you want then your "regular gear set" to reequip everything.

Stoneskin, rage, haste, gh are all clickable.

Angar
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
This would be nice, but it is pretty easy to get around it already. You have more action bars available than you could possibly need, so it isn't hard to set up a bar for each set. My gear swap bars always go on the right hand side of the screen and I turn them vertical. Depending on the toon, I have 1, 2, or 3 bars. If you consistently use the same slot for the same gear for every toon, you can quickly change out one or two items during the "heat of the moment", and entire sets of gear between battles with no problem, even if you swap toons often.

Since I seldom have a complete set change, I usually have 3 or 4 necklaces, 3 or 4 rings, 2 or 3 trinkets, and then occasionally some hats, belts, boots, or gloves. I line them up vertically with the bottom of each group being the most common piece I use, and usually similar to where they would be on my paper doll (boots at the bottom of the bar, and necklaces and trinkets at the top. I try to keep a space between each group, and all I have to do is glance at the bar to see that all the "bottom" gear is selected so I know I have my normal gear (thus preventing doing a shroud with my haggle gear on).

If you have a gaming mouse or keyboard, it wouldn't be hard to make a hotkey that triggers all the buttons on one hotbar quickly. I never looked into whether you could set up a basic macro with in-game controls, so I am not sure if you could do it in game. Pretty simple to do any way you look at it though. The hard part is managing it, and setting it up so you don't remove a piece that will cost you SP, health, or charges of a skill. That challenge would remain even if they put together a true "set" system.

Sir_Chonas
03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
This would be nice, but it is pretty easy to get around it already. You have more action bars available than you could possibly need, so it isn't hard to set up a bar for each set. My gear swap bars always go on the right hand side of the screen and I turn them vertical. Depending on the toon, I have 1, 2, or 3 bars. If you consistently use the same slot for the same gear for every toon, you can quickly change out one or two items during the "heat of the moment", and entire sets of gear between battles with no problem, even if you swap toons often.

Since I seldom have a complete set change, I usually have 3 or 4 necklaces, 3 or 4 rings, 2 or 3 trinkets, and then occasionally some hats, belts, boots, or gloves. I line them up vertically with the bottom of each group being the most common piece I use, and usually similar to where they would be on my paper doll (boots at the bottom of the bar, and necklaces and trinkets at the top. I try to keep a space between each group, and all I have to do is glance at the bar to see that all the "bottom" gear is selected so I know I have my normal gear (thus preventing doing a shroud with my haggle gear on).

If you have a gaming mouse or keyboard, it wouldn't be hard to make a hotkey that triggers all the buttons on one hotbar quickly. I never looked into whether you could set up a basic macro with in-game controls, so I am not sure if you could do it in game. Pretty simple to do any way you look at it though. The hard part is managing it, and setting it up so you don't remove a piece that will cost you SP, health, or charges of a skill. That challenge would remain even if they put together a true "set" system.

The problem isn't the amount of bars AVAILABLE, but the amount of screenspace they take up.

Riggs
03-17-2010, 01:05 AM
That would be awesome.

Spisey
03-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Key binding items to your hotbars and making a simple macro to one key is about the only way you can currently make a work around to do what you are asking. ;) :(

I love the idea. Item set bars similar to the weapon sets would definately be something I would be very interested in.

Kromize
03-17-2010, 03:13 AM

nope, not only that.

Also saves time and annoyance for clicking multiple items when swapping to a different set of gear.

DoctorWhofan
03-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Actually a neat idea. Not alot of them, just maybe two or three set places

Quijonsith
03-17-2010, 03:29 AM
I'll sign this one for those who would really find it useful, but I wouldn't use it much. I seldom find myself switching more than one item slot at a time anyway.

Couple different rings for different situations, a cloak of greater resist of each element or my +6 cha cloak for UMD, haggle necklace vs. oremi's necklace vs. umd necklace, +6 dex boots vs. 25% striding when running long distances, minos legens vs. 15 concentration depending on if I need the hp, etc etc etc.

Each slot covers different situations so the only use I'd have with item sets is if they could be clicked again to return to what was worn before the switch.