PDA

View Full Version : Some beginner questions

Mr_Nobody
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
So I downloaded DDO and i have to say from what I've seen till now it's just a great game. Still I'm a bit confused about some things because of the complexity of this game. I hope some friendly people here can help me :)

So I ahven't really decided what class to take by now. I usually play a Rogue or Warrior class in mmo's. I ahte things like a paladin or healer class^^

So I asked myself what would be the best in this game? Are Warriors better or Rogue?

I'm not really a PvP player but in many mmo's Rogues are better in PvP than in PvE. Is this the case in this game too?
Also i like to sneak up behind my enemy in stelath and backstab him. But i hate setting traps or something. Since I played a completely Trap related Rogue in an other mmo I'm traumatised and have to ask this :)

Whats about the Warrior? I noticed there are Barbarians and Fighter in this game? Where are the differences between this two classes and wich one is more the "classic" warrior?

Also what are the best races for an Rogue or Warrior? And could ou tell me the basics of these classes (or post a link to a nice guide) ?

Thanks in advance

Dravik
03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi and welcome to DDO!

If you click the Compendium link up above here, you can find all the Turbine info on these classes. If you go to http://ddowiki.com you can find all the player maintained info.

As to which is better, warrior or rogue...it's a matter of playstyle and build choices.

Rogues are some of the best damage dealers out there, and they get to disarm traps, unlock doors, get you more treasure. It all depends on how you build one.

I can't speak about barbarians as I have yet to play one but fighters are either about tanking or damage. You can'd really be both or you're far less effective.

DDOWiki has some great started builds and the class forums on this site have tons of great information. But nothing beats a playtest. Roll up one (or more) of the premade Turbine charactes and go play a few levels. See what you like...you might be surprised :)

Tuney
03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Rogues in DDO are infact , stronger in PvE then PvP. Due to how Backstabbing works vs players more so when you are higher level with the advent of many players have heavy fortication (Which negates Critical hits and Sneak attacks.) With Stealth not working vs PCs as well makes it even harder to get Backstabs vs PCs. To get a sneakattack vs A PC you have to be attacking that players rear. In PvE , to get a sneak attack, you must 1) Not be number 1 on the mobs agro list , and 2) the mob must not be undead , elemental or a construct. (Living constructs NPCs aka warforged tend to not have 100% fort like other constructs)

Fighters are weapon speicalist type charaters. They are flexable in terms of other classes when it comes to feats. They have huge number of feats compaired to other classes (Though the feats have to be classed as a 'fighter type feat.')

Barbians gain the highest base HP compaired to other classes as well as some innate DR. They are known to be very strong with lots of HP but known to need a cleric strapped to there hips 24/7 when they get higher level. They are more 'focused' into Two HANDED weapons but can do well two weapon fighting as well.

Mr_Nobody
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok, thanks guys, really helped me a lot. I think I'm going to create a Rogue now. Read one of the guides in DDO wiki and it really sounds interesting to me.

EKKM
03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
So I downloaded DDO and i have to say from what I've seen till now it's just a great game. Still I'm a bit confused about some things because of the complexity of this game. I hope some friendly people here can help me :)

So I ahven't really decided what class to take by now. I usually play a Rogue or Warrior class in mmo's. I ahte things like a paladin or healer class^^

So I asked myself what would be the best in this game? Are Warriors better or Rogue?

I'm not really a PvP player but in many mmo's Rogues are better in PvP than in PvE. Is this the case in this game too?
Also i like to sneak up behind my enemy in stelath and backstab him. But i hate setting traps or something. Since I played a completely Trap related Rogue in an other mmo I'm traumatised and have to ask this :)

Whats about the Warrior? I noticed there are Barbarians and Fighter in this game? Where are the differences between this two classes and wich one is more the "classic" warrior?

Also what are the best races for an Rogue or Warrior? And could ou tell me the basics of these classes (or post a link to a nice guide) ?

Thanks in advance

In PVE most classes in DDO are fairly balanced. Monks are generally considered to have the lowest power level but they are certainly playable.

PVP is an afterthought in DDO so classes are really not balanced for this. Never played but I imagine casters dominate it, particularly those that can self heal. Rogues would probably be the worst at it.

Most experienced players will tell you that a completly trap focused rogue is a waste of a party spot but a dps rogue is one of the best additions to a party. A DPS rogue can and should be able to get all the relevent traps in the game. Also, there is no trap setting in DDO.

You should read upon the Assassin series of enhancements on DDO wiki as it sounds like your type of character.

Fighter vs Barb: A barb can generally do more DPS and will have more HP. A barb cannot realistically build for AC. A fighter has more options - it can tank, dps, use numerous tactics (trip, stun etc) and be more survivable due to all the bonus feats available.

I know you saidyou didnt like Palladins but they are much different in DDO than WoW. Pally's can be among the top DPS dealers and their self healing and high saves make them very survivable.

For fighter or Barb the best races are human, warforged or Dwarf IMO.

Lots of good guides here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147492

Mr_Nobody
03-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Ok thanks again, but I'm still a bit unsure about the races. It looks like halfling or humans are best suited for the Rogue class.

But for the Fighter class i really dunno wich race to take nad should a fighter use two handed weapons or dual weapons?

EKKM
03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
For a rogue a halfling is your best bet, perhaps drow if you have them. Halflings will do more dmage than a drwo but a drow can buy INT cheaper and go higher. INT is very important for rogues, esp assassin builds.

For a fighter choose one of human, dwarf or WF and you cant really go wrong. As a general rule, THF will do better damage against multiple mobs while TWF will do better against a single mob (read boss). THF is generally easier for 28 point builds as DEX is not really required. The higher level TWF feats require a base 17 dex (before items and enhancements).

Most people start with a 16 dex and either use their level 4 or 8 attributre increase with dex or use a +1 (or 2) dex tome (you can buy one at the DDO store).

Theta23
03-13-2010, 04:30 PM
How long does it take to download Storm reach

gavagai
03-13-2010, 04:37 PM
One little comment:

Until you get high-level weapons, rogues are reliant for the bulk of their damage on other players, because they only get their Sneak Attack damage when an enemy is either unaware of the rogue, or actively attacking someone else.

Which means if you solo with a rogue, you only get one sneak attack on an enemy before he and his friends know about you. Unless you bring a henchman to draw their attention first.

Also be aware that you don't actually have to sneak to get sneak attack damage. You attack much faster when not sneaking. So if you see a kobold attacking someone in your party and you are sneaking, unsneak first and then start attacking and you'll see the Sneak Attack numbers fly out for the couple seconds until the poor guy dies.