PDA

View Full Version : Inscribing advice

RonaldTekener
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry guys if this sounds incredibly stupid but i havant figured out yet how to scribe scrolls. Do i need to eqip the scroll for inscribing? I always get the message that i lack the required ingredients.

BobbieBealz
03-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Assuming your a wizzie, the message indicates that you don't have the required inscription materials.

You can buy these in the market place ( in the tent, the third, non-scroll arcane vendor )
- House P ( Small shop up ramp from Object Desire )
- House J ( Shop next to teleporter )
and a few other locations, generally a general vendor.

EDIT: also need the scroll you want to scribe :)

zorander6
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
To inscribe you need the following:

A scroll in inventory (or hand)
Inscription materials for the level of the spell
(i think spell components as well but could be wrong.)

To inscribe click on the scroll in your inventory and hit the inscription tile in your hotbar. If it's not in your hotbar it'll be under feats and you can drag it there. (Looks like a feather)

wamjratl1
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
You need to purchase spell inscription materials (they also drop in chests) for the level of scroll you want to inscribe. General Vendors sell these (I use the one in House P or the Portable Hole).

Hotbar your inscribe scroll feat, highlight the scroll you want to inscribe in your inventory (be sure not to double click or you might waste the scroll) and then click the inscribe scroll feat. A moment later you will have permanently memorized the scroll.

EDIT: You don't need spell components to inscibe the scroll but will, of course, need them to cast the spell after inscribing. You can inscribe a scroll of any level (even if it is higher than your current level) as long as you have the correct spell components. Then, once you've levelled high enough to use the spell, it's in your spellbook waiting for you.

shadow_419
03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
You need to have spell inscription materials (bought from vendors) for the level of the spell you're trying to inscribe. You need 1 per scroll ad you don't need to have it equipped, just need to have it highlighted in your inventory. The level of the scroll can be seen in the icon for the spell as a roman numeral. You need to have the same level inscription material or it won't inscribe.

JustWinBaby
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
You need to purchase Inscription Materials. If you have a level 1 spell (Jump, for example) then you need level 1 Inscription Materials. In the apothocary in The Harbor, there is an Arcane Regeant (I think that's the term.) He sells level 1 and 2 inscription materials.

Also, make sure you have Inscribe Scroll (is that what it's called? lol) in the hotbar. Click on the scroll in your inventory, then click on the button in the hotbar. Voila.

RonaldTekener
03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
You need to purchase Inscription Materials. If you have a level 1 spell (Jump, for example) then you need level 1 Inscription Materials. In the apothocary in The Harbor, there is an Arcane Regeant (I think that's the term.) He sells level 1 and 2 inscription materials.

Also, make sure you have Inscribe Scroll (is that what it's called? lol) in the hotbar. Click on the scroll in your inventory, then click on the button in the hotbar. Voila.

Wow thx a lot guys for the advice and the spped of the replies. I guess im going to manage now

xtchizobr
03-12-2010, 02:02 PM
buy everything and scribe it. everything.

read the wizard handbook thread to find out which spells you should choose as your free "level ups" because you can't buy certain spell scrolls from NPC merchants...

Setin_Myways
03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
as a side question, if i scribe spells in a level I do not yet have, will this impact my ability to learn spells at lvl up? In some of the other threads talking about reincarnation, it seems people have an issue because they already have spells for the new lvl in thier book.

I think it makes good sense to scribe the spells you can find in vendors before you hit that lvl so you know which spells not to learn, but it seems counter productive if this can interfere with learning spells at lvl up.

can you post a link to that handbook?

BobbieBealz
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Handbook here:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=116560&

To answer your questions, I'm not sure how much the current bug effects non GR / LR characters if at all. I don't think it does. Scribing everything you can get your hands on allows you to pick only the spells at level up that you cannot buy in-game.

To be honest, the more you play the less important most of those spells get, so I wouldn't break the bank on a new character to fill up 'every' possible spell slot with purchased scrolls IMHO. When I started, I wanted them all too. Now most of my young wizzies only purchase the spells I use the most / can't buy until they get high enough to actually have disposable income. Your experience may differ.

Refer to the handbook and the wizards forum in general for ideas what spells are of most use to most folk. :)

shadow_419
03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
The bug with LR/GR isn't having spells inscribed for a higher level. The problem lies in not having the ability to select spells you don't have inscribed when you level after LR/GR.