PDA

View Full Version : Why UMD?

Fennario
03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I got into a pretty heated discussion about this last night. Another fvs and myself were comparing builds in a pug group.

When we got to our skills and I told him that I maxed concentration, 1 point in tumble, and put the rest in jump and balance... he gasped. No UMD, you crazy???

I said what the hell do I need that for?

His replies:

fire shield scrolls

- I have 9 clicks of fire shield on different items, I have 40 points of fire resistance, and protection from elements

blur/displacement scrolls

- Again, I have some clicks of displacement, and I also cast the level 1 spell obscuring mist if I run out while soloing which does the same thing as blur

teleport scrolls

- Those are handy, but I do have the teleport mask and thanks to the easter egg hunt a bunch of rods that will last for awhile

pure good weapons

- I'm a caster first, but when I feel like it I just swing the holy +3 exceptional wisdom min 2 that I am always holding

rr items

- I guess this could be a bummer if you run across something really good, but it hasn't happened to me yet

He still insisted that a fvs should always max umd. I'd rather have the balance and jump myself.

Since he didn't have a good reason, maybe someone here can give me one. :)

ghale
03-11-2010, 07:16 PM
No good reason...it is completely personal preference :).

The most enjoyable reason for UMD is teleport scrolls so you don't have to run around everywhere but since they cursed us with teleport rods from the birthday celebration don't really need the scrolls as much.

Impaqt
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I got into a pretty heated discussion about this last night. Another fvs and myself were comparing builds in a pug group.

When we got to our skills and I told him that I maxed concentration, 1 point in tumble, and put the rest in jump and balance... he gasped. No UMD, you crazy???

I said what the hell do I need that for?

His replies:

fire shield scrolls

- I have 9 clicks of fire shield on different items, I have 40 points of fire resistance, and protection from elements

If you have 9 clickies that can do Fire Sheild Hot Or Cold your quite fortunatly. they havent dropped for quite some time.

blur/displacement scrolls

- Again, I have some clicks of displacement, and I also cast the level 1 spell obscuring mist if I run out while soloing which does the same thing as blur
I've never seen a Blur Clickie... Displace on that mindsunder armor? 2 minutes worth? Shroud Clickie?

teleport scrolls

- Those are handy, but I do have the teleport mask and thanks to the easter egg hunt a bunch of rods that will last for awhile
Very handy, I send all my rods to characters that cant umd.

pure good weapons

- I'm a caster first, but when I feel like it I just swing the holy +3 exceptional wisdom min 2 that I am always holding

rr items

- I guess this could be a bummer if you run across something really good, but it hasn't happened to me yet

He still insisted that a fvs should always max umd. I'd rather have the balance and jump myself.

Since he didn't have a good reason, maybe someone here can give me one. :)

WIth a High CHR, Its very easy to get UMD to a very useable level on a FvS. Balance isnt nearly as necessary as it once was and Jump is a Class skill and with Leap of faith, not really necessarry either....

It comes down to personal Preference. You prefer to Get up faster when knocked down and Leapvertically higher. I prefer to not get knocked down in the first place and the Horizontal leaps are more than plenty.

Fennario
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
If you have 9 clickies that can do Fire Sheild Hot Or Cold your quite fortunatly. they havent dropped for quite some time.

Yeah. I have 2 robes that cast fire shield cold. I pulled one and the other I bought off the house K vendor way back when they did absolutey nothing. My rogue I had back then wore robes and I liked to click them here and there just for the graphic effect to freak people out. This was one of the times where me being a pack rat paid off. :)

I also have a cloak of ice. I have been trying to secure that necklace with the fire shield hot version on it, but no luck so far. The only place I would ever use it would be ToD, and I seem to do fine now without it, so its no big deal. In fact I seem to do fine in the situations that I should be clicking my fire shield cold clickies but forget to.

I've never seen a Blur Clickie... Displace on that mindsunder armor? 2 minutes worth? Shroud Clickie?

I do have the mindsunder armor, but its in the bank. I wear robes, so it would be too clunky just to carry around for the displacement clicks. My eventual shroud hit point item has displacement on it. Its only tier 2 as I haven't gotten a cleansing stone yet. I'm closing in on my 20th so unless there is a +3 wisdom tome staring me in the face I will most likely take the cleansing stone and turn it into a smoke 2 for the perma blur.

Since I had an extra small shard laying around I made a tier 2 fire/shocking burst weapon with displacement on it as well. I figured I could use it to hit non-evil stuff when needed since my mineral 2 is +3 wisdom and only has holy on it. But honestly I pretty much only equip it for the clicks.

For now like I said, I am either displaced/blurred by the arcane, or when soloing I cast obscuring mist if I need to melee and my clicks are gone.

Very handy, I send all my rods to characters that cant umd.

Again, I have the teleport mask. Its always refreshed upon quest exit. On the rare occasion where I want to bump around I have the rods now.

WIth a High CHR, Its very easy to get UMD to a very useable level on a FvS.

No argument about that. Just don't see the need for it like I said in the OP.

Balance isnt nearly as necessary as it once was and Jump is a Class skill and with Leap of faith, not really necessarry either....

Maybe so. But my cleric spent so much time on his back, and begging for a jump cast on him, that I said never again when I rolled my fvs. :)

It comes down to personal Preference. You prefer to Get up faster when knocked down and Leapvertically higher. I prefer to not get knocked down in the first place and the Horizontal leaps are more than plenty.

Oh believe me I prefer to not get knocked down as well. But it does happen.

And being able to leap vertically higher enhances leap of faith. Hit leap of faith at the top of your jump, the higher your jump is the more horizontal distance you are going to cover.

I know that the acrobat belt is there with its jump clickies, but I like to know that I can slap on a jump item and get to the 40 jump cap or close without the spell if needed.

My cleric was a slug for years. My fvs is not. I guess that's where my motivation comes from. :)

I guess I should clarify my point. I never said that UMD was not useful on a fvs. I just don't understand why so many feel that its absolutely necessary. Like my fvs friend in the OP. He seemed to think that it was insanity to not have it. I disagree.

Nott
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
No class -needs- UMD.

I would assume the primary reason people take UMD is to be able to cast cures/heals/resses... not a problem for an FvS, of course. Repair might be in there as well, though on my own healers, I cure WF's -- it costs more sp, but I'd rather use that than repair wands/scrolls. (That being said, I do have the UMD for them if the occasion presents itself).

The other big reason, one I tend to take advantage of, is to wear racially restricted gear. I'm not a heavy player, and so I can't generally afford to keep gear hunting until just the right item drops. UMD helps me to widen my window of what I consider to be gear worth keeping.