PDA

View Full Version : Bard Mechanics + Gameplay Questions

Zachski
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I've been looking at my Spellsinger's future, and I realize now that there are a few things I don't know about.

1. My Inspire Courage song. How exactly does it work? Is it like a buff that applies once to surrounding allies? Or is it like an aura in that I have to be standing next to my allies at all times?

2. Improved Inspire Courage. Once I get this, do I switch to it? Is it affected by the Inspire enhancements?

3. Fascination. When is it a good time to use it?

4. Do I want a Cleric Hireling or a different type of hireling?

Thanks in advance.

Woody00
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I've been looking at my Spellsinger's future, and I realize now that there are a few things I don't know about.

1. My Inspire Courage song. How exactly does it work? Is it like a buff that applies once to surrounding allies? Or is it like an aura in that I have to be standing next to my allies at all times?

Its a buff that affects all allies as long as they are in range when you sing it. After that they can be across the map and still get the benifit as long as its still active. "Group for song" is a good phrase to toss out before you start your bard songs.

2. Improved Inspire Courage. Once I get this, do I switch to it? Is it affected by the Inspire enhancements?

Already factored in when you sing your song. Enchments to your songs are already factored in as well once you get them.

Depends on the sitution. I use it on elementals alot and because it is based off your perform skill it can get high DC's to resist early on in the game. Use as you see fit.

Up to you and your sitution.

Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.

Psyker
03-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks in advance.

1. It is a buff not an aura, so everyone needs to be near you when you play it for it to work (this is true on all of your songs)

2. All of this stacks and automatically works, no need to switch anything out.

3. I use fascinate as my Oh S@#! button, mostly because I like to save my songs for buffs, but mid to late level you have lots of songs so it can be some great crowd control as long as the group knows not to hit the mobs after you fascinate them.

4. I think the only hirelings I have ever used have been clerics, with all of the healing bards have (especially once you can use Heal scrolls), I have been planning to experiment a little with wizards and sorcs and see if some nuking will help me or not. But most of all use whatever helps you most.

Zachski
03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
So, the Improved Inspire Courage feat (which is square) you get at level 8 sorta replaces Inspire Courage entirely?

KillEveryone
03-12-2010, 01:55 AM
You don't have to swap out anything when you get Improved Inspire.

Later on you will need to hotbar the Inspire Heroics. It is a single person boost like the Inspire Competance but it gives different boosts but, unlike Inspire Competance, you can play it for yourself and recieve the boost.

Basically when you get the Improved version of the Insipre Courage, the feat represents the automatic enhancement to your song.

spitfirek
03-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I have a question about bard songs also, is concentration skill needed to perform bard songs while under attack? I plan on getting a lvl of bard on my arcane fighter and if I can fascinate things that are in my face so I can backup to range and finish them off, it would be awesome.

Zenako
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a question about bard songs also, is concentration skill needed to perform bard songs while under attack? I plan on getting a lvl of bard on my arcane fighter and if I can fascinate things that are in my face so I can backup to range and finish them off, it would be awesome.

Fasicinate is broken when the subject takes damage, so it is much more like a soft "stop in your tracks" effect. Time out on the field. Then the player(s) can selectively target individual mobs. If you have spells like Irresistable Dance, you can attempt to land one on a fascinated mob. Making saves does not break Fascinate, but even a single point of damage will. Once the mob is dancing, whack away until it is dead.

On a side note, it can be really amusing discovering all the various monster dances this way. The Troglodyte PeeWee Herman shuffle. The Rust Monster Push ups. The Step dancing Hobgoblins, etc.

tihocan
03-12-2010, 09:49 AM
No, you don't have to perform a Concentration check.

Woody00
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
On a side note, it can be really amusing discovering all the various monster dances this way. The Troglodyte PeeWee Herman shuffle. The Rust Monster Push ups. The Step dancing Hobgoblins, etc.

I like making orthons and the earth elementals dance. Two best dance's in the game imo.

Fusiox
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I enjoy making the dogs and wolves dance... Not for anything, but they look like my fat dog when he wants the tennis ball ;D

As for some good ways to use a bard:

I noticed you had a question about the fascinate song. The thing about bards is that they can keep playing even while running at full speed or getting ripped to pieces by a dozen worgs. (I never really got how they can do that, but that's probably why I can't play the guitar well) In any case, bard songs are not spells, and ths=us are not subject to the implications spells have on the player. What this has to do with fascinate is that you can use it whenever you want to, so long as you're not dead or out of songs. A great time to use it early in the game is when you aren't such a high level and kobold raids are actually dangerous... kobolds aren't what you call very honourable warriors. They can fall prey easily.

Well, I got to go, but I'll post again soon. I have my own bard too so I know this from experience. Have fun with bards... in my opinion, they are the most satisfying class to play as in the game, albeit not always the most prized.

Woody00
03-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I enjoy making the dogs and wolves dance... Not for anything, but they look like my fat dog when he wants the tennis ball ;D...

Have fun with bards... in my opinion, they are the most satisfying class to play as in the game, albeit not always the most prized.

Agreed. I love playing my bard and any group that does'nt like a bard in the party is prolly not going to be a party you want to run with anyway. I aslo hate being tossed into the healer catagory when playing my bard, which is why I have in great big letters in my bio. NOT HEALER SPECCED. The funnest thing of all is taking a well built/played bard and showing some the of casual players what they can do. :cool: I ran with a group of casual players the other day and they were amazed I could raise, toss out some emergency heals, go toe to toe with the named bosses, provide some decent CC, and the cleric even mentioned that he hardly had to worry me. lol