PDA

View Full Version : computer question?

Darconeious
03-11-2010, 10:24 AM
what is the most important upgrade for a computer to play computer games?
1- a good keyboard and mouse
2- a better graphics card?
i know i need both but cant afford both today . i have a new PC with the standard keyboard and mouse, the graphics card is okay being the nvidia cuda card the best res it can do is min for the game at 1024 x 680 . the PC itself has plenty of punch speed (processor )and memory (H.D. and ram)
what do you think my best option is for making the game play a better experience
any sugestions appreciated
thank you

Kemoc
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Depends on your play-style if you are a heavy game player type you might like a g15 macro type keyboard or some kind of Belkin speed pad. But for plain enjoyment, a nice graphics card would be nice. This game can be very nice at extreme resolutions, or so I have heard. I only have average graphics. But some of the scenery is quite nice.

blitzschlag
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
what is the most important upgrade for a computer to play computer games?
1- a good keyboard and mouse
2- a better graphics card?
i know i need both but cant afford both today . i have a new PC with the standard keyboard and mouse, the graphics card is okay being the nvidia cuda card the best res it can do is min for the game at 1024 x 680 . the PC itself has plenty of punch speed (processor )and memory (H.D. and ram)
what do you think my best option is for making the game play a better experience
any sugestions appreciated
thank you

the mouse only matters if you playing first person shooters half-professionally or full professionally. keyboard does not matter at all (if all keys still work).

i don't know what a nvidia cuda gfx card is supposed to be. cuda is a technology patented by nvidia that lets your cpu "outsource" mathematical-processing to the gpu of the gfx card.

would be helpful if you could really post some specs of your machine

Stormanne
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Give us a DxDiag (open up Command prompt in XP or in the seach bar in Vista/7 and type DxDiag)

Goldeneye
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I like crappy keyboards.... mainly cause I can punch them when I get mad.

Graphics card are where it's at. I run the game on an Nvidia 8800 GT and a 23" monitor - I could never settle for anything less.

Darconeious
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
the mouse only matters if you playing first person shooters half-professionally or full professionally. keyboard does not matter at all (if all keys still work).

i don't know what a nvidia cuda gfx card is supposed to be. cuda is a technology patented by nvidia that lets your cpu "outsource" mathematical-processing to the gpu of the gfx card.

HP pavilion athlon II quad 4 processor 1 TB hard drive 800 GB ram windows 7 , w- lightscribe HP 28" LCD screen nvidia cuda gfx dedicated 512 MB card (its about a 60 dollar card)

its a upgraded best buy HP

it is not a muscle machine but its pretty good for the money

phymonkey
03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I was playing ddo on my old laptop but after I got a new laptop and could run on the highest settings for all on the high res version, well lets just say I spent about 2 weeks just looking at landscape, spell fx, and NPCs. I was a completely diffrent game for me.

Marcus-Hawkeye
03-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Mouse:
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900

Keyb:
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169420000/categoryId.35156900

Honestly though, you can play the game on any keyboard or mouse... but the graphics card upgrade always makes a difference. I'd get a better card... I can't suggest something without knowing more about your computer...

NVM I see you added some info... are you sure you have the correct drivers installed... from what I'm reading that card should be much better than just 1024x680...

Sirea
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
A graphics card makes all the difference in computer games. I went from playing on Medium graphics to Ultra High and I never realized what a beautiful game this is until I upgraded my graphics card. I'm using a Radeon 5770 ATM, one of the best ATI cards you can get AFAIK. You appear to have an NVIDIA chipset though, I'm not sure what the NVIDIA equivalent is.

Number 1 thing when buying new computer parts is making sure the rest of your system can handle it. Like Stormanne said, posting your DXDIAG will help us out in recommending cards.

A nice keyboard and mouse can be nice to have, but not really necessary. I use a Logitech g500 mouse and a steelseries Merc Stealth gaming keyboard (I love the side pad that comes built into it).

blitzschlag
03-11-2010, 11:04 AM
still really can't see what your gfx card is. but 512MB dedicated Video-Memory Card should be fine to run DDO on 1920x1080 with directx9 on medium settings.

Sir_Chonas
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Ram

Stormanne
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I would suggest upgrading your Vid card first. You won't need anything over the top, but a good card will make a world of difference in DDO.

GreenGurgler
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
As others have said above:

If you are asking which upgrade to get keyboard/mouse vs graphics card to improve game performance?

Hands down graphics card.

Keyboard and mouse add nothing to how well the game runs and plays. They are purely a comfort and convenience issue. But graphics cards improve everything*!

*BUT its not that straight forward because buying the best graphics card and plugging it into an old system can be a waste of money. You really need to have a good CPU, motherboard and ram (not to mention enough power to run it all properly) to complement that shiny new graphics card. If you don't, you may not realize ANY gains from a graphics upgrade if the rest of your system creates a 'bottleneck' to performance.

So as others have said, provide more system info for better, more accurate advice.

If you are asking WHICH keyboard, mouse or graphics cards are best, then that depends. K&M will depend a lot on preference and desired features and has no single right answer.
Video card preference will be based on your system specs and whether the person giving advice is a staunch Nvidia or ATI guy (almost as partisan as Dems vs Repubs).

More info gets better results ;)

Salaman
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Should check the specs on your power supply first. A more powerful video card can use significantly more energy and pre-built computers are usually come with a power supply that suffices for the current hardware with minimal room for upgrades.

Basically you want to look for the amperage on the 12V rail(s) (should be listed in a table placed on the side of the power supply box inside the computer), and make sure you have enough for whatever video card you want.

Anyways, the memory on the graphics card isn't a clear indicator of how powerful it is, and only the specific model name/number really gives other people a good idea of what you have.

Timjc86
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
800 GB ram

That number sounds a bit high.

From what you've indicated, it sounds like a better graphics card would be the best investment for you (something in the $2-250 would be ideal, though not necessary).

Darconeious
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
HP pavilion athlon II quad 4 processor 1 TB hard drive 800 GB ram windows 7 , w- lightscribe HP 28" LCD screen nvidia cuda gfx dedicated 512 MB card (its about a 60 dollar card)

its a upgraded best buy HP

it is not a muscle machine but its pretty good for the money

i am sorry i cant provide some info at this time i am at work and to far from hm. but i have a best buy right down the steet and at lunch i can check it out they still have that PC for sell looks like though i am going to change the card.
upon reviewing some respnses to my question i can do better on resolution but everything becomes squaty and there are some performance isssues being that they are jerky if that makes sents
sorry for my limited knowledge of coomputers
this is my 1st good one in 25 yrs.

Kromize
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM

The Nvidia Cuda isn't a graphics card. Basically, it's a mini super-computer than you can plug into your system. Dramatic boost to computing performance.

For main post:

First of all, depends what you need/want to upgrade. If you want more FPS, or better graphics, update the graphics card. But pay attention to what processor you have. It can be more beneficial to upgrade your CPU(and probably also mobo) first before you get a new graphics card. If your cpu can't compute fast enough, the game itself may lag, thus also causing the graphics to lag, even if your gpu can handle incredible amounts.

If you want a new mouse/keyboard, find something that you like, and make sure they fit your hands. It really is important that you get a keyboard and mouse that fits, like a glove. (: