View Full Version : Is UMD good for a Fighter

Arcanecantrips
03-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking of starting a Veteran Fighter with the following stats:
STR: 18
DEX: 16
CON: 14
the rest at 8

I'm just wondering, should I even bother getting UMD with such small CHA?

Also is Toughness a feat I should get at start or should i get it at LVL 6?

Arcanecantrips
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
OK after a lot of searching i was finaly able to find this

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=226999&highlight=UMD+FIGHTER

any one else have the same question, here is a great place to start.

Kralgnax
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Toughness is certainly a feat you should have (and along with it, racial/class toughness enhancements) BUT it really kicks in more at higher levels, so you don't need to take it really early, and other feats may be more complling.

As to UMD, well, it depends on what you're planning to do with it.

Since it's cross class, your level based skill will be 12, plus stats & items - with good (i.e. shroud+) gear you can likely get to the mid-20s in effective UMD, so Heal scrolls are out, but you could potentially have a shot at teleport scrolls and the like.

tihocan
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
IMO, yes, it's useful, though not useful enough to be a "must-have". I just hate running around town and the ability to use Teleport scrolls is worth UMD on any char for me ;)

RobertVesco
03-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a dwarven fighter/rogue with a low CHA that I'm maxing out with UMD and I love it. Seemed like a huge waste until about level 8 or 9 when my UMD caught up with RR items and wands. I mostly solo with him and it has made everything so much easier. You have to look at the numbers to see if it works for your build, but if you can work it out, it's very cool.

MrWizard
03-11-2010, 02:55 AM
I found that at high level, it really can be a huge life saver. Mid level can be good for backup healing.

if you start at 11 charisma, you could get in the low to mid 30s with items and such. Higher if you are able to boost that somehow such as a human can.

So, what can you do with umd?

mid levels you can use cure wands on everyone, even you. Also repair wands.
Higher levels you can do heal scrolls or reconstruct scrolls on everyone.

You can cast invisibility scrolls fairly easy, incredibly great buff.
You can cast blur scrolls easily, at higher level you can do blur wands that last 10 minutes.
You can do the same with shield wands.
You can cast resist wands which are a huge asset at times.

There are lots of cool scrolls and wands you can use and they do make a difference at higher level.

Being able to fully heal a party, raise dead people, buff blurs, invis, cast greater heroism scrolls, etc etc etc etc...

Absolutely cool.
Takes a lot of thought and crafting and looting to get there though.

fighter, standard umd at 20 level

11 ranks
3 golden cartouche
3 skill focus umd
6 shroud crafted item (or spread out among items)
5 charisma mod (assumes a 20 charisma, base 12, +2 tome, +6 item)
2 head of good fortune
4 greater heroism
1 +2 exceptional charisma item
-------------------------
34 UMD

an item from the titan raid can get you 5 umd in place of the 3 from the golden cartouche (they do not stack).
36 with titan item

human versatility allows a 20 sec boost for +5 to skills making it
39 or 41 depending on cartouche/titan item

Add a +3 tome and +1 excep charisma, or a +4 tome for one more
40 or 42.

This allows a vast array of very powerful things for your toon. You can heal like a cleric without mana could (sort of).

umd rocks rocks rocks. Hard work to set it up though.