PDA

View Full Version : Please Add better armor choices for Rangers besides wizards robes and monk gear

NecasioGreystorm
03-10-2010, 03:12 AM
I mean why does every ranger i see past 16 have to look like a monk or a mage? There has got to be a better alternative for rangers and light armor users than to just wear another classes items. There's a number of new and inventive items you can use to create some light armor for dex based players. Everyone seems to look the same at higher levels. Elven chain shirt or leather can be tweaked or upgraded somehow to allow for better range of movement(max dex bonus). Hell i would even go for half leather armor but freakin mage robes ? i didnt make a mage i made a ranger, subclass of the fighter build. why am i forced to wear these items to handle mobs at higher levels. Hell, re-string a decent looking monk outfit with some real boots and not flip flops and let rangers have their own look. you have all these different armors out there and most of them are meaningless and barely used. Thats a problem. Please do something about this.
Thanks

Bacab
03-10-2010, 03:19 AM
I thought RNG got to wear all the standard Docents...

j/k. You can wear Icy Raiments which look like Pajamas.

I do think DDO is releasing armor skins soon though.

Uska
03-10-2010, 03:29 AM
I thought RNG got to wear all the standard Docents...

j/k. You can wear Icy Raiments which look like Pajamas.

I do think DDO is releasing armor skins soon though.

Where did you get this:confused: Would be nice

Kerplunk
03-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Prob stemming from the 3-cornered hat. It is just a skin for whatev helmet you're currently wearing.

Far as the OP goes, sure. Personally, I like the look of robe + dual wielding scimmys/khops/whatevs.

More options is always nice.

blitzschlag
03-10-2010, 08:16 AM
still if you look abit on the realistic side its perfectly ok that any kind of armor caps your movement ability (dexterity in this game). apart from magix there is no way a fantasy melee game that draws, at least, a bit of inspiration from medieval melee and armory can put any kind of reasonable armor ingame that does not limit the ultra specialized 30+ dex gimp.

and i think all monksplashes are perfectly aware that they look like a monk in the end...

Superspeed_Hi5
03-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Perhaps because many rangers decide to forgo armor and pick up cloth. If you are wearing outfits and robes cause you get a better AC than wearing studded leather or Mithral BP maybe you should decide if you want to look badass or be badass.

Angelus_dead
03-10-2010, 08:54 AM
A simple partial fix:

Suggestion
Start using the graphics from Padded Armor and Leather Armor to also apply to randomly-generated Outfits.

D'rin
03-10-2010, 09:00 AM
The only reason to use robes etc... is for the AC if a monk splash or high dex. If you are not getting to a meaningful AC just wear a +5 mithral chain shirt(the crippling one from hound looks ok) or breast plate. I don't know what the DT leathers look like. If they look like most leather armor then it probably is not something you are going to want to wear.

Riggs
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Raise the max dex bonus of all light armor by say...2.

MylesMDT
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
It is sad when the more powerful your character becomes, you end up dressed looking like a beggar. Some simple cosmetic changes would be nice.

grodon9999
03-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I thought we wear robes because sheep can hear a zipper?

Visty
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
ppl wear robes/outfits because they are swapped fast

if you dont care about ac, you are looking for the best effecty for your armor and to switch those fast, you want robes

gavagai
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
The only reason to use robes etc... is for the AC if a monk splash or high dex. If you are not getting to a meaningful AC just wear a +5 mithral chain shirt(the crippling one from hound looks ok) or breast plate. I don't know what the DT leathers look like. If they look like most leather armor then it probably is not something you are going to want to wear.

Actually, the reason most people wear robes is because they have long since given up worrying about AC. So it's best wearing stuff that you can instantly switch around. Armor takes 10 seconds to switch.

Casual AC doesn't pay off --therein lies the problem with making armor more common at high levels

Atisha
03-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I agree. Since the difference between Robes and Outfits seems purely cosmetic, why not have a Clothing option too? Combined as a single outfit, of course, same as all armor types are, to fit in a single slot. But a shirt and pants option would indeed be nice for the non-caster and non-monk players.

Gnorbert
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
I thought we wear robes because sheep can hear a zipper?

We're not all Scottish.

As for the OP.. YES, dear god please! I have a ranger coming up the ranks and even though he's strength based, as an elven ranger I will surpass the dex bonus of most light armor soon. I would love for there to be a reason to wear padded, leather or studded leather. Just seems such a waste to not buff them a bit to make them worth wearing.

Emili
03-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Is not just rangers face this issue... all classes do...

If you are a fighter or pally who tank which cares about ac - plate of the defender ot DT plate, otherwise - like any barbarian whatever ... so robes and outfits lend better skill and swap quicker... DT vestment with the guards and bonus you like. If your AC in armour is not standing in the 60's (and buffable beyond that) then why wear armour?
If you are a ranger, monk - well any dex build who cares about ac then Icys ... otherwise - like any barbarian whatever ... so robes and outfits lend better skill and swap quicker... DT vestment with the guards and bonus you like.

Personally my characters carry such things as demon scale, silver flame chain etc to lounge around in... i.e. my fighter may run to a quest in silver flame chain shirt - yet I cast it's nightshield then put on plate of the defender or dragon touch now to run the quest...

My dex based girls are all in DT ... I've not pulled Icy's for myself and frankly - running skele for icy for eveyone else - my own priority on them lapsed due to burn out on the repetition for fellow guildies and friends.

The latest thing hower I believe will be red dragon scale as more people run epics...

So there you have it... fact is there are very few useful armours in the game.

grodon9999
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
So there you have it... fact is there are very few useful armours in the game.
[/COLOR]

With all the other "inflation" in the game, non-epic armors could got more than +5 without breaking anything. That and raise the dex bonus allowed and you'll see fewer of us in Pajamas.

Maxelcat
03-19-2010, 02:40 PM
better light armor for EVERYONE!!!!

Vormaerin
03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I suppose it could, but it wouldn't solve anything. The disparity between "serious" armor class and casual armor class is way beyond what can be fixed by another couple plusses on armor. All you would do by allowing +6 or +8 armors is increase the AC of the top AC guys. Everyone else would still have useless AC and wear clothes/robes for the speed and better mods.