PDA

View Full Version : Spell Resistance Items Question?

praetor
03-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I see this on my robe: "Spell Resistance (19)"

I also see that there are various buffs such as "Resist Energy" and "Spell Resistance".

My question is:

1) Does "Spell Resistance" on items serve the same function as "Resist Energy" (except of course that it resists the first 19 points of damage, rather than 10 like resist energy)? If not, what exactly does Spell Resistance do, and what "spells" is it effective against?

2) Does "Spell Resistance" on items stack with the "Spell Resistance" buff?

Thank you!

Crann
03-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Spell Resistance means that a caster has to make a roll on spells that are subject to resistance in order for them to affect the target. These are usually the non damage spells. The caster's roll in your case would have to be 19 or greater, with all the modifiers added to it. The items with SR dont stack with the SR spell, only the highest number applies.

praetor
03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Spell Resistance means that a caster has to make a roll on spells that are subject to resistance in order for them to affect the target. These are usually the non damage spells. The caster's roll in your case would have to be 19 or greater, with all the modifiers added to it. The items with SR dont stack with the SR spell, only the highest number applies.

does this mean that lower "Spell Resistance" is better? Since I want to have more chances to succeed on the roll? Or does spell resistance refer to the roll enemies have to make against ME?

Danmor
03-15-2010, 08:04 AM
If you are wearing a Spell Resistance item or somebody casts Spell Resistance on you, you want high numbers. Any enemy spellcaster casting a spell that is subject to SR on you has to roll against that number (d20+caster level + modifiers).

If you fight a mob, you want low numbers on that mob. If you try to cast Destruction or similar on a mob you have to roll against their spell resistance. You can lower their SR using Shattermantle weapons or level drain (I think).

Rusty_Can
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Some spells (e.g. Enchantment school), in order to land, require that
- caster overcomes target's Spell Resistance;
- target fails his save roll.

Some no-save spells (e.g. Otto's Irresistible Dance, Energy Drain) require SR checks.

Hence, Spell Resistance can be considered a form of defense against some arcane and divine spells. You can look at spell descriptions and see which spells require SR checks; unfortunately, some descriptions are incorrect. As a rule of thumb, "direct damage" spells (e.g. Wall of Fire, Blade Barrier) usually don't require SR checks.

Your SR doesn't affect the spells you cast, but the spells that foes cast on you; hence, the higher the better.

OTOH, you need to overcome Spell Resistance of your targets in order to land some of your spells; your Spell Penetration is given by:
- your caster level
- enhancements
- feats (Spell Penetration and Greater SP)
- Spell Penetration gear
+ 1d20.

As someone pointed out, Spell Resistance can be lowered using weapons of Shattermantle/Improved Shattermantle. Afaik, no foe uses this kind of weapons against players.

When you cast a spell and see a blue "shield" around your target, that means you didn't overcome the Spell Resistance of your target. Btw, when you cast spells, your combat log registers SR checks.

Kaldais
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Spell Resistance is equal to Armor Class against Non-damage Spells.

I.E. A caster will need to make a roll higher than your SR to have that spell affect you. Ofcourse you will get to roll your normal saving throw if any.