PDA

View Full Version : Monks

Poffel
03-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Just a couple of suggestions regarding monks:

1.) Finisher duration: Change the duration of a light side monk's finishers to the same formula as Divine Favor.

2.) Monk strategy enhancements: Give monks enhancement lines for the improvement of Stunning Fist, Unbalancing Strike, Eagle's Claw (and maybe even QP) DCs similar to the fighter enhancements for Stunning Blow, Trip etc.

3. Design a new earth stance: Since the DR part of that stance has become obsolete for capped monks, there is little to no reason to enter earth stance, while all other stances offer at least situational benefits (wind stance being the best one hands down). Either raise the provided DR, or come up with a different way to make earth stance at least a little bit useful.

4. Nerf Oremi's necklace: Move the extra Ki generation from the necklace to a set bonus. Gaining virtually unlimited Ki is a very powerful improvement and should be reasonably hard to acquire.

5. Add named endgame handwraps (to HoX): Monks like loot too. Especially raid loot. And even more if its useful. Note that useful right now means that it penetrates DR. Since ToD rings were introduced, the Hound of Xoriat raid offers zero interesting loot for a monk (if we disregard the Panacea clickie), so that might be a good place to start.

6. Give monks toughness enhancements: Not that its needed, but it wouldn't hurt either... for reasons, just watch some YouTube videos of Shaolin presentations or visit your local video store for martial arts movies.

7. Fix handwraps: There are still certain primary (*cough* weigthed *cough*) and secondary (i.e. from clothing) effects that don't work properly with handwraps... I get that there are some coding problems involved, but that doesn't stop us from complaining.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Morningfrost
03-06-2010, 01:19 AM
I add a couple more:

Enhancement line for Void strike: as it is, it can be marginally useful at first levels. It's something not worth bothering about. But it could be nice if you could have, say, force damage increasing to something like 8d4 for 20 Ki at tier IV. IIRC it is on a different timer than elemental attacks;

Enhancement line for Ki strike: allows the monk to increade the DR bypass of unarmed attacks. Currently, at level 16 it is adamantine, it wouldn't be bad to invest AP to have transmuting by level 18;

Enhacement lines for fists of light/darkness: gradually increase positive damage/healing and negative damage (chance of casting Enervation on a critical hit);

Request for suggestions: I think kamas are the worst weapon in the game, any way to improve them? (AC bonus when dual wielding?).

Marr0w1
03-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Wish I could give rep; A well formed thread, with most the ideas not demanding hours of coding/unbalancing.
I especially like the ideas of enhancement lines so that core abilities gain power over their initial effects. (90% of spells increase with caster level, so maybe every 4-5 lvls add 1 to the dice of the 'Healing Curse' Effect?)

rest
03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd say that the shuriken is worse than the kama :p

Even a GS Shuriken is only 1d3 :(

While you're at it, devs, how about adding shurikens to monk-based end rewards. I have never once seen a non semi-static (ie-named end reward) shuriken for my monk with that box checked - EVER.

Impatiens
03-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I like every idea except nerfing Oremi's, but that's selfishness more than it not being a good idea.

truetrue4
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't think oremi necklace is overpower. I always have the Shinto necklace on so i can keep my conc x 2 ki while idle.

Fugzzz
03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Shadow Star shuriken drops from Shan-to-kor and Snow Star drops from Sorrowdusk isle.

However I do have a suggestion:
If it doesn't already exist, how about some ki pots or buffs. "Green tea" restoring 25 ki maybe, or giving a passive regeneration for 5/10 mins?

Morningfrost
03-07-2010, 07:13 AM
If it doesn't already exist, how about some ki pots or buffs. "Green tea" restoring 25 ki maybe, or giving a passive regeneration for 5/10 mins?

Mmm... With the entire Tea Ceremony animations? :)

Fugzzz
03-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Mmm... With the entire Tea Ceremony animations? :)

Bit more work for the devs but it would be great to see a few monks sat round drinking tea; will settle for the effect in the meantime though. ;)

gott_ist_tot
03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
6. Give monks toughness enhancements: Not that its needed, but it wouldn't hurt either... for reasons, just watch some YouTube videos of Shaolin presentations or visit your local video store for martial arts movies.

I have a hunch toughness was dropped out because of the way of the patient tortoise.

Danneskjold184
03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
A good start would be to increase the drops of Elemental and other effects on Shuriken.

Currently, a +1 Flaming Returning Shuriken is so rare that it could reach millions on the AH. Not to mention any real effects, like Wounding, Banishing or Vorpal.

I'm not saying they should put one in every chest, but if they quadrupled the drop rate, they'd still be significantly rare, but not mind-blowingly rare.

crazycaren
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi
After a year and a half I was getting a little bored with DDO - then I made a monk! So fun!

There's a couple really goofy things that are obvious fixes tho:
1 Monk buffs should scale with monk level just like every other class' buffs

2. Spring attack should be a class feat. We get all these granted feats to go faster and then take a penalty for it?

Aesop
03-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Just a couple of suggestions regarding monks:

1.) Finisher duration: Change the duration of a light side monk's finishers to the same formula as Divine Favor.

2.) Monk strategy enhancements: Give monks enhancement lines for the improvement of Stunning Fist, Unbalancing Strike, Eagle's Claw (and maybe even QP) DCs similar to the fighter enhancements for Stunning Blow, Trip etc.

3. Design a new earth stance: Since the DR part of that stance has become obsolete for capped monks, there is little to no reason to enter earth stance, while all other stances offer at least situational benefits (wind stance being the best one hands down). Either raise the provided DR, or come up with a different way to make earth stance at least a little bit useful.

4. Nerf Oremi's necklace: Move the extra Ki generation from the necklace to a set bonus. Gaining virtually unlimited Ki is a very powerful improvement and should be reasonably hard to acquire.

5. Add named endgame handwraps (to HoX): Monks like loot too. Especially raid loot. And even more if its useful. Note that useful right now means that it penetrates DR. Since ToD rings were introduced, the Hound of Xoriat raid offers zero interesting loot for a monk (if we disregard the Panacea clickie), so that might be a good place to start.

7. Fix handwraps: There are still certain primary (*cough* weigthed *cough*) and secondary (i.e. from clothing) effects that don't work properly with handwraps... I get that there are some coding problems involved, but that doesn't stop us from complaining.

Thanks in advance. ;)

1. yep I agree would be nice to have extra duration as levels increase

2. Would be nice

3. I would be interested in it having, in addition to the Ki generation on being hit, also a Life Shield and perhaps a damage shield as well. say d4 at tier 1 (d6 d8 2d6 at subsequent tiers)

4. No opinion

5. yep

6. instead of toughness enhancements just improve turtle to toughness enhancement equivilent

7. would be nice

Aesop

fatherpirate
03-29-2010, 09:32 AM
1st of all, monks are cool...but I think they have gotten enuff love for a bit.

there are missing classes...lets get them in before we start rebuilding the other classes.
<exception - bugs...ya get rid of them >

Judo
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
1st of all, monks are cool...but I think they have gotten enuff love for a bit.

there are missing classes...lets get them in before we start rebuilding the other classes.
<exception - bugs...ya get rid of them >

Flame this man! flame him i say!

Have you ever ****** **** for monk love?

Danneskjold184
03-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Here's an idea that I've been kicking around:

Allow Monks to apply their special effects to Shurikens. Also allow ki generation for Shuriken hits.

Aesop
03-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's an idea that I've been kicking around:

Allow Monks to apply their special effects to Shurikens. Also allow ki generation for Shuriken hits.

yep I can get behind that too... also improve 1000 stars or whatever its called

Timjc86
03-29-2010, 01:12 PM
IMO, monks deperately need three things ASAP:

Comparable itemization to other melee classes. This means greensteel weave handwraps and epic handwraps. Similar to your #5 and #7.
Some kind of base improvement to dps, preferably something that improves to-hit. A method to improve the crit range and/or multiplier for monk weapons would be very appealing too. This could possibly take the form of improving stances (Similar to your #3.) Wind is decent and is the only stance that actually scales. The others need help. Other potential ways:

Stick these improvements into animal path lines.
Add new enhancements (although APs are getting short as is, even with no PrE lines to spend them on.)
Add some selectable feats.
Just straight up add some passive bonuses at certain levels.

At least one good three tier prestige enhancement line.

Your other suggestions are good. I'm not opposed to any of them (except maybe Oremi's, although it does make sense.) #1 definitely needs to happen. #2 is a fantastic idea as well (along with fixing weighted.)