PDA

View Full Version : Free action?

acetheman
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Is there an item in this game that makes you immune to hold person? It used to be called something of free action in the old D&D games??

techwench
03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Is there an item in this game that makes you immune to hold person? It used to be called something of free action in the old D&D games??
The spell "Freedom of Movement"

Spoprockel
03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I think the "freedom of movement" spell prevents you from getting held.

Its a divine buff, i don't remember the level, maybe lvl2 or lvl3 spell.

Don't know if there's wands for that for sale somewhere.

Guildmaster_Kadish
03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Freedom of Movement is a level 4 divine spell.

The Kundarak Warding Boots is a Dragon raid loot item that gives you the buff permanently. You can start running dragon flagging probably around level 6 or 7, but may have a tough time finding a group until level 10 or so.

Beld
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
but the scrolls are chest loot....if you get them, hang onto them.

Rusty_Can
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The following items provide immunity to Hold spells:

- "Freedom of Movement" (aka FoM) spell, lvl 4 divine spell, can be cast by clerics, favored souls, rangers and bards;
- Kundarak Delving Boots;
- being Warforged (racial immunity to Hold effects).

Beld
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
The following items provide immunity to Hold spells:

- "Freedom of Movement" (aka FoM) spell, lvl 4 divine spell, can be cast by clerics, favored souls, rangers and bards;
- Kundarak Delving Boots;
- being Warforged (racial immunity to Hold effects). You are immune to Hold Person, at higher levels Hold Monster will still snag you even as a warforged.

Kaervas
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
You are immune to Hold Person, at higher levels Hold Monster will still snag you even as a warforged.

I do not ever remember being subject to any Hold spell on my warforged characters, ever.
I assumed the immunity was due to their natural immunity to all Paralysis effects, which includes Hold ______.

Do you know a creature that readily spams Hold Monster that I can test against right now?
I never paid attention to whether the Hold cast at me was Hold Person or Hold Monster before (eg. Arraetrikos, I know he casts Hold something but it was never an issue for me so...).

Tumarek
03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Only here to confirm "Freedom of Movement" does the job. One of the reasons why devine caster's can be good buffers.

hydra_ex
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
You are immune to Hold Person, at higher levels Hold Monster will still snag you even as a warforged.

I'm pretty sure that constructs can't be held, and that includes WF; at least, I can't remember being held once on either of my capped WF.

And FoM is also an arcane buff, from a bard:
Cleric 4, FvS 4, Ranger 4, Bard 4 (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Freedom_of_Movement)
So thats caster level 7, 8, 11, 14 respectively.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-05-2010, 06:49 PM

I have multiple high level WF and have never been held. So I'm either really lucky, have great saves, or that's wrong.

xtchizobr
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I do not ever remember being subject to any Hold spell on my warforged characters, ever.
I assumed the immunity was due to their natural immunity to all Paralysis effects, which includes Hold ______.

Do you know a creature that readily spams Hold Monster that I can test against right now?
I never paid attention to whether the Hold cast at me was Hold Person or Hold Monster before (eg. Arraetrikos, I know he casts Hold something but it was never an issue for me so...).

i think that "paralysis" would be things like Ghoul Touch and Slow, but Warforged are not "persons" so Hold Person does not affect them just as Charm/Dominate Person does not. it seems to me that their immunity to Hold Person is not due to their general immunity to "paralysis" -- which i don't think Hold is.

hydra_ex
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
i think that "paralysis" would be things like Ghoul Touch and Slow, but Warforged are not "persons" so Hold Person does not affect them just as Charm/Dominate Person does not. it seems to me that their immunity to Hold Person is not due to their general immunity to "paralysis" -- which i don't think Hold is.

Correct. But they are not subject to hold monster or other types of paralysis either.

Kaervas
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Hold_Person

The target enemy humanoid becomes paralyzed and freezes in place. It is aware, but can take no actions for a maximum of 6 seconds per caster level. The enemy may attempt to make a new Will save every 3 seconds. Humanoids include kobolds, goblinoids, player races except for warforged, troglodytes, and more.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Hold_Monster

An enemy becomes paralyzed and freezes in place. It is aware, but can take no actions for a maximum of 6 seconds per caster level. The enemy may attempt to make a new Will save every 3 seconds.

Warforged are immune to Hold Person in two ways - immunity to paralysis AND not being a valid target.

Warforged are valid targets for Hold Monster, but are immune anyways since it's a paralysis effect.

KKDragonLord
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Warforged are valid targets for Hold Monster, but are immune anyways since it's a paralysis effect.

This is correct

phalaeo
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I was misled by the thread title.
I feel cheated :p

sly_1
03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
just to add, bards also get fom.

peace.