PDA

View Full Version : For the next Update

Ashurr
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I would give my left..well, you know, for the Shifter race to be implemented. Creating hairy humans and growling a lot is getting tedious. Also, implementing a potion "belt" would help IMMENSELY. Spears...for Gods sake give us SPEARS. We have Khopeshs and crossbows, but the most basic of weapons is non-existant.

Cylinwolf
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
The reason that all three of these aren't in game have actually been brought up tons of times on the forums. But you're Sep '09 so I'll cut you some slack.

1) Shifters suffer from the same problem that Druids have; Turbine is/was having trouble with getting Wildshape to work not only within the game engine but also within game balance. It's troublesome to just slap that in there, which is probably the reason druids weren't implemented in the original game; didn't have time to build support for shapeshifting in the game in the alloted time/budget.

2) Usable items don't work right when they're in bags. If they fix this/find a work around, I'm sure we'd see scroll and potion bags.

3) It's been stated that they felt spears would need a completely different animation style than other 2h weapons, and animating is a very costly thing to work on. It's possible but unlikely for the amount of reward vs workload compared to other things.

Symar-FangofLloth
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
The reason that all three of these aren't in game have actually been brought up tons of times on the forums. But you're Sep '09 so I'll cut you some slack.

1) Shifters suffer from the same problem that Druids have; Turbine is/was having trouble with getting Wildshape to work not only within the game engine but also within game balance. It's troublesome to just slap that in there, which is probably the reason druids weren't implemented in the original game; didn't have time to build support for shapeshifting in the game in the alloted time/budget.

Shifters don't shapeshift.
Well, it really depends on your interpretation. But along those same lines, there are like three entirely different art styles for them in the official books, ranging from hairy humans with massive sideburns to fur-covered, bestial-faced humanoids.

IMO, the issue with Shifters is natural attacks. What happens when you Longtooth Shift and gain a bite attack? Do we get a new animation that adds in a 1d6+1/2Str attack, while getting our other four or so animations done in the same time? Do we just have it proc with no animation? Or do we go the way of 4E and just have it be a +2 to all melee damage while it's active?

The same with Razorclaw... do they get a buff to unarmed combat, then? Or get 'weapons' in any hand that's currently free? Can they code it so you can off-hand claw without needing TWF? How does it affect monks?

Gorebrute (charge attack), Swiftwing (flight), and Cliffwalk (climb speed) are out of the question. Truedive is too gimpy to bother with, but doable. Wildhunt (scent) and Dreamsight (Speak with Animals, though the feat upgrade to See Invisibilty isn't too bad) are pointless in this sort of game.
Longstride (Faster run) and Beasthide (Natural Armor) are easy.