PDA

View Full Version : Share Quest

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 11:06 AM
The two most annoying words in DDO.

Nothing will p!ss me off more. Than when you have to click on the quest giver to get into a quest (ie. Stormcleave) and some noob still goes share quest, not even share quest please. Nothing sceams I'm a noob & you're going to have to carry me thru this quest more than to say share quest, or share quest please.

I'm not talking about a Hound run where you forgot to talk to Brunacio, or Von and we're about to finish part 1 and we don't want to wait for you to run to the top of the bank and back, or BAM where the quest giver is in house D and the quest is in house K. I'm talking about quests where the quest giver is the entrance to the quest or right next to the entrance.

When someone says share quest for one of these runs I know he/she's going to suck. Noobs do this to try and hide the fact that they are a noob. Nothing screams more that you are a noob.

The best thing you can do if you're a new player is to clearly and confidently say. I'm a new player or new to this quest. Where do I go to get the quest and should I bring any particular items or pots. This clearly states that you are a newb and not a noob. It says this person doesn't know the quest but won't be a liability. There is no problem with that.

Just because your new doesn't mean you have to be a noob. Unfornatley the noobs don't read the forums only the newbs do.

stainer
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I hate it when you post with a hangover.

GuruWarrior
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Someone needs a hug.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I hate it when you post with a hangover.

Unfortunately I worked last night and I never dink on a work night. I guess that makes me a functioning alcoholic LOL? But this is my Friday and I'm about to start a 3 day weekend. So that gives me a few days to post with a hangover here in the near future.

stainer
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately I worked last night and I never dink on a work night. I guess that makes me a functioning alcoholic LOL? But this is my Friday and I'm about to start a 3 day weekend. So that gives me a few days to post with a hangover here in the near future.

Sweet! This could get fun. I will go ahead and front load you with + rep, in case it gets ugly.

Jay203
awwwwwww
share pl0x~ :p

Kaervas
Clearly and firmly tell them "you have to talk to the quest giver to enter the quest anyways, so just come and pick it up yourself". If they still parrot on and repeat "share quest", kick them.
I find it helps if you use a commanding tone of voice as if you were talking to a dog that took a dump in the middle of the living room. If it helps you get into character, wave a rolled up newspaper around and thwack it on your desk for emphasis.

Gornn
03-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Someone needs a hug.

qft.

And its disavowed. /hug

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Someone needs a hug.

Go F yourself.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM
qft.

And its disavowed. /hug

A QFT from you I'm amazed but the hug has got to go. I think I might puke and not from too much beer.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet! This could get fun. I will go ahead and front load you with + rep, in case it gets ugly.

Stainer ya you might want to front load that rep I may need it. Ty in advance.

Kearvas I'm going to bring the paper from work home with me to tonight and start practicing.

deathtouch
03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
IN before Tarrent finds out you're picking on his noobs and gives you negative rep.

Hey can someone share this thread with me :)

Redcoil
03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Mr. Beer is 100% right. 'Share quest' not only shows ******-ism, but means apparently they are too stupid or lazy to find it on their own...

mws2970
03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Is it ok to ask where the quest giver is? I generally do this especially when it's been a while since I ran a quest.

Gornn
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I think I might puke and not from too much beer.

I think I can live with that. /squeeze

Wyrmnax
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Someone needs a hug.

I swear i read "Someone needs a pug"

stainer
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Stainer ya you might want to front load that rep I may need it. Ty in advance.

I have to spread some around before I can give you any.

Hey can someone share this thread with me :)

That is freaking funny.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Is it ok to ask where the quest giver is? I generally do this especially when it's been a while since I ran a quest.

By all means please do. That lets one know you're not lazy and you're able to to take care of your own business.

hermespan
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
wow thread 21141 about the same topic. You should berate people in game since they obviously don't read the forums to know that it's a faux pas, or don't care.

TBH I share quests automatically when I'm group leader. Saves time because they can see the arrow on their map instead of walking around in circles. They'll find the npc after the quest. If they don't know where the quest is, it doesn't matter that the npc is right beside it. If you happen to be getting the quest as the 6th person joins and I hit the button, sorry for ruining your day.

If I can save the group 5 minutes of waiting, it's worth it. More often, before I started doing this, it took them 10-15 minutes to get to the quest entrance. That's way more irritating than clicking a share button to shortcut getting a quest started.

I'm definitely not wasting 6 people's time for "the principle of it". People start bailing after 10 minutes of waiting and I just want to get my xp.

Inkblack
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Boddington's has joined your party.
Inkdrop: Hey Beerman...
Inkdrop: share quest pls
Inkdrop: /roflcopter
Boddington: *%^*^&*& you ^&(*&^&* $%^$R(
Inkdrop: ooh, forgot to disable the profanity filter...

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
wow thread 21141 about the same topic. You should berate people in game since they obviously don't read the forums to know that it's a faux pas, or don't care.

TBH I share quests automatically when I'm group leader. Saves time because they can see the arrow on their map instead of walking around in circles. They'll find the npc after the quest. If they don't know where the quest is, it doesn't matter that the npc is right beside it. If you happen to be getting the quest as the 6th person joins and I hit the button, sorry for ruining your day.

If I can save the group 5 minutes of waiting, it's worth it. More often, before I started doing this, it took them 10-15 minutes to get to the quest entrance. That's way more irritating than clicking a share button to shortcut getting a quest started.

I'm definitely not wasting 6 people's time for "the principle of it". People start bailing after 10 minutes of waiting and I just want to get my xp.

Hmmm let's see. That's the difference between you & I. You wait for a group to fill. I'm already in the quest clearing. You're wasting time I'm not. If I someone has to ask to share quest. When they could simply ask what house and what tavern the quest is in, I know I'm going to be carrying a piker. I have no problem with a newb saying where do I go to get the quest. I'm certain I'll have to go back to the start of the quest and pick them up or walk them to us on the map. That's not a problem. But to just be too lazy to make an effort. That's a problem.

It's a problem when someone is so inefficient that at level 9 they don't know where the Avile Fire Inn is. The reason they don't know where it is is because a person like you never made them figure out where the Anvill Fire Inn is. You share the quest they run to said tavern and don't even take note of the tavern or place they ran to. If I say go to house D then go to the Anvil Fire Inn and talk to X. Guess what? Next week when they join Stormvaulds mine and ask where the quest is. I can say Anville Fire Inn and they will know where to go.

Your version is just like the modern day version of parenting. It's easier to just give them what they want. As opposed to putting your foot down & saying no. Or just buy them what they need as opposed to making them get a job, or requiring good grades and doing chores around the house to get said item.

Funny just like DDO now. Give us everything, give us an easy button. But based on your join date and attitude you're propably one of those me generation people. For you it's easer just to give it to them than to teach them to be self sufficient.

Then they get to the shroud they start crying beacause it's too hard. Why? Because people like you held their hand and didn't force them to learn their way around the game. Both literally and figuratively. If a person is level 18 and asks for me to share quest for Cabal & Feast when it's a walk up. Someone did this person wrong by not teaching them the game, content, and slayer area. They did wrong by not taking it upon themselves to learn the game, content, and slayer are. So you keep holding their hand and giving them a crutch. So when they need to be relied upon or be self sufficient they will have no clue how.

Josh
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM

This is what those of us in the industry call an "enabler".

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Boddington's has joined your party.
Inkdrop: Hey Beerman...
Inkdrop: share quest pls
Inkdrop: /roflcopter
Boddington: *%^*^&*& you ^&(*&^&* $%^$R(
Inkdrop: ooh, forgot to disable the profanity filter...

That about sums it up in a nutshell. You hit the nail right on the head.

stainer
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Is the industry Mental Health or Substance Abuse?

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Yours was a much simpler version of what I stated above. I like your version much better, straight to the point. I should have just waited for your reply it would have saved me time.

Gunga
03-03-2010, 01:18 PM
shr plz

Josh
03-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Is the industry Mental Health or Substance Abuse?

Full contact semi-nude female kick boxing

Josh
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Yours was a much simpler version of what I stated above. I like your version much better, straight to the point. I should have just waited for your reply it would have saved me time.

I've been told before that I am a simpleton, so simple is as simple does. It's a gift.

stainer
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Full contact semi-nude female kick boxing

So mental health it is. I find it interesting that mental health folks gravitate to Disavowed's posts. :p

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
So mental health it is. I find it interesting that mental health folks gravitate to Disavowed's posts. :p

LOL. It got you here didn't it?

Thalmor
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Some call it Enabling some call it Teamwork.... It all depends on you point of view.

DasLurch
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Strangely enough, I was thinking along the same lines. It also could be attributed to the lack of fun posts that Tarrant has put up of late as well. You usually can see alot of them there too. Would this be the dreaded Florence Nightengale syndrome we have all heard about at one point in time?

Can't + ya because I have too recently, but I would have if I could have

DasLurch
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Some call it Enabling some call it Teamwork.... It all depends on you point of view.

Teamwork= helping someone play through a quest and live to see the end.

Enabling= helping someone get thru the quest by carring their soulstone in your pack because they've died so may times.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM

Enabling= helping someone get thru the quest by carring their soulstone in your pack because they've died so may times.

+1 to you and Stainer

Thalmor
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

And based on those definitions, Hitting the Share button would be classified as Teamwork, not Enabling.

+1

Josh
03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
And based on those definitions, Hitting the Share button would be classified as Teamwork, not Enabling.

+1

Condoning behavior that you find incorrect is enabling. As stated before, it reeks of noobishness and usually results in a pileon joining your group. Personally, I have no time for pileons.

Tap4black
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/1418933434_bb8939705b.jpg

stainer
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
All we are sharing now is the love! It makes me feel all iggly inside. :) We are right back to the giving hugs scenario.

On a side note - I love sharing Stormcleave. It is in the tavern, so even if you share it, they cant find it. Once you get them into the tavern, they don't know who to talk to. Meanwhile, you have completed half the quest. Pffttt.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 02:19 PM

+1

It doesn't take a team player to ask for someone to share and hit a button for them? How is it teamwork to hit a button for them so they don't have to learn the lay of the land and the basics of the game? teamwork would be explaining to them that there are different house factions. And in these house factions are quest givers most often in tavern in the house factions. Speak to these quest givers and you can get in the quest.

Now that person can do the same for the next new person making them now a team player and now a contributer. They aren't contributing jack by asking someone to share and not learning how to take care of themselves.

Imagine this. Six Noobs. Share quest please! Leader I don't know where it is. Can someone share quest with me too please. Other 4 we don't know where it is either. OK lets disband. I'll join a group where someone can share quest with me. Nobody learned anything. They went the easy button route instead.

A little far fetched but no too far from the truth if it was a bunch of unmotiveted lazy noobs.

I can't tell you how many times after I hear share quest please. I give clear directions and offer to give them again when they get to said house. Yet they still demand the quest be shared. That's clearly a person who's too lazy to learn the game and is going to be a piker. example. Cabal for one. Share quest please. It's a walk up just follow us out. Share quest please. I can't I haven't gotten there to get the quest yet I'm still in GH. Just follow me to the quest I'm in GH I'll wiat for you. Ding x has left your party.

Thalmor
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Condoning behavior that you find incorrect is enabling. As stated before, it reeks of noobishness and usually results in a pileon joining your group. Personally, I have no time for pileons.

Just because someone asks you to share the quest does not make them a noob. Noobs and Pilons come in many shapes and sizes, and some have been playing this game for quite some time. How you react to this request can make you the Noob.

My friend and I use the share button, but we do it because we are trying to make it an efficent use of our time while we are playing.

This basically breaks down to a personal preference, so to share or not to share is up to you. But I found that people who ask to join my group after it has been formed and without me placing a request tend to be Pilons

grodon9999
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I have never seen anyone on Ghallanda give a hoot about this one way or the other.

Thalmor
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
It doesn't take a team player to ask for someone to share and hit a button for them? How is it teamwork to hit a button for them so they don't have to learn the lay of the land and the basics of the game? teamwork would be explaining to them that there are different house factions. And in these house factions are quest givers most often in tavern in the house factions. Speak to these quest givers and you can get in the quest.

Now that person can do the same for the next new person making them now a team player and now a contributer. They aren't contributing jack by asking someone to share and not learning how to take care of themselves.

Imagine this. Six Noobs. Share quest please! Leader I don't know where it is. Can someone share quest with me too please. Other 4 we don't know where it is either. OK lets disband. I'll join a group where someone can share quest with me. Nobody learned anything. They went the easy button route instead.

A little far fetched but no too far from the truth if it was a bunch of unmotiveted lazy noobs.

I can't tell you how many times after I hear share quest please. I give clear directions and offer to give them again when they get to said house. Yet they still demand the quest be shared. That's clearly a person who's too lazy to learn the game and is going to be a piker. example. Cabal for one. Share quest please. It's a walk up just follow us out. Share quest please. I can't I haven't gotten there to get the quest yet I'm still in GH. Just follow me to the quest I'm in GH I'll wiat for you. Ding x has left your party.

Under those circumstances I can see your fustration. My point being that the Share quest can be a form of team work. The true indication of a persons Noobishness is if they ask you to share the next quest you plan to do, without offering to do the same for you.

OFC the correct response form the person you giveing directions would be either 'ok I'll go get the quest' or ' I know where it is I was hoping you would save me some time'.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Just because someone asks you to share the quest does not make them a noob. Noobs and Pilons come in many shapes and sizes, and some have been playing this game for quite some time. How you react to this request can make you the Noob.

My friend and I use the share button, but we do it because we are trying to make it an efficent use of our time while we are playing.

This basically breaks down to a personal preference, so to share or not to share is up to you. But I found that people who ask to join my group after it has been formed and without me placing a request tend to be Pilons

That's not what were talking about I made that very clear with my Hound, Von, & Bam examples. If we're doing BAM and a person says to me. I'm already in house K would someone mind sharing the quest with me so I don't have to run back to house D & pick it up. Sure no problem that would fall under your example of teamwork.

A person who's never run it before says share quest please. I'm going to say go to house D enter the church and get the quest then go to the Anvil forrest in House K. When you get inside the forrest go straight. You'll go thru a narrow passae and see a mine shaft on the right. Go in fast or be prepared to fight 2 bad ass dwarfs. That's teamwork as well.

I'm not going to give someone a free pass not to learn the game. Now they know where the quest is, where the quest giver is, and that they may need to be prepered to fight. You tell me who was the better teacher and team player. A noob will drop group. A newb will follow the directions. Then I can teach him the quest when he gets inside.

Thalmor
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
That's not what were talking about I made that very clear with my Hound, Von, & Bam examples. If we're doing BAM and a person says to me. I'm already in house K would someone mind sharing the quest with me so I don't have to run back to house D & pick it up. Sure no problem that would fall under your example of teamwork.

A person who's never run it before says share quest please. I'm going to say go to house D enter the church and get the quest then go to the Anvil forrest in House K. When you get inside the forrest go straight. You'll go thru a narrow passae and see a mine shaft on the right. Go in fast or be prepared to fight 2 bad ass dwarfs. That's teamwork as well.

I'm not going to give someone a free pass not to learn the game. Now they know where the quest is, where the quest giver is, and that they may need to be prepered to fight. You tell me who was the better teacher and team player. A noob will drop group. A newb will follow the directions. Then I can teach him the quest when he gets inside.

My orginal point was that sharing was a form of team work, and the post you responded too was my response to someone discussing Noobs and Pilons. OFC the context of when and where share quest is used has to be considered. Your example above is clearly an example of team work and a way to teach someone the ropes. From some of the posts I have read in this forum, I'm betting that there are several players on here who would not be as fortcoming with the directions, let alone accurate ones.

Halbarad
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
All I can say is...Only on Kyhber.

augie
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Joined a Vale explorer/slayer PUG group once. Two of us runnin around, rockin the place and joking around. A third joined. His first words?

"share quest?"

At first, we chuckled but within a few minutes, we realized he was completely serious. Oh, and level 17.

Good stuff.

I'm with Disavowed all the way here. Hearing those words as soon as someone joins group is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Personally, I hope someone finds an awesome exploit for it (if not already) so they have to dump it from the game again.

Yeah, it's nice for Hound, but we managed before. When you were the one that forgot to get the quest after everyone is standing at the quest portal and talking strategy, then admitting that you didn't grab the quest and have to re-run (or drop completely), well... that's something that you didn't do twice.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Joined a Vale explorer/slayer PUG group once. Two of us runnin around, rockin the place and joking around. A third joined. His first words?

"share quest?"

At first, we chuckled but within a few minutes, we realized he was completely serious. Oh, and level 17.

Good stuff.

I'm with Disavowed all the way here. Hearing those words as soon as someone joins group is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Personally, I hope someone finds an awesome exploit for it (if not already) so they have to dump it from the game again.

Yeah, it's nice for Hound, but we managed before. When you were the one that forgot to get the quest after everyone is standing at the quest portal and talking strategy, then admitting that you didn't grab the quest and have to re-run (or drop completely), well... that's something that you didn't do twice.

Speak for yourself. I've done it more than once and one time it was as the party leader. Can't think of anything more embarassing than getting to Hound as the leader and realizing you were a tard and forgot the quest. As for doing it more than once. well just drink & DDo enough and it's bound to happen.

Emili
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Now then Beerman... when you invite me to party, I not only expect you to share the quest, but also hold the door open for Beergirl and I, and when we be seated bloody order not one but three pitchers of refreshment to start …:p

Rydin_Dirtay
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Your example above is clearly an example of team work and a way to teach someone the ropes. From some of the posts I have read in this forum, I'm betting that there are several players on here who would not be as fortcoming with the directions, let alone accurate ones.

Well, I think the vast majority will give directions gladly. I do exactly as Disavowed does. If it requires a long walk, then I simply share for the sake of time. But if it's a walk-up, or a tavern on the way, I simply tell them "giver is at quest entrance", or "giver is in Anvilfire in house D, enter Stormcleave from there".

Sometimes, you have just got to force them to take off the training wheels.

Disavowed
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Now then Beerman... when you invite me to party, I not only expect you to share the quest, but also hold the door open for Beergirl and I, and when we be seated bloody order not one but three pitchers of refreshment to start …:p

I think we will need more than 3 pitchers since you and Bonni/Beergirl are both Irish.

Tejoncito
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I think that MyDDO its a nice tool because you can...
...Oh wait, this isnt a MyDDO thread??

-----------

I dont have a problem with sharing when i just need some fillers, wich is... Almost everytime, i only pay atention to the people who wants to join my LFM when its a quest that i cant finish if everyone else is dead wich are... very few (raids & must be 4 people to complete quests).

I love to start all my LFM with only 5 people, so in case:
-Everyone else is dead... i can just pop my cleric hireling and finish the quest...
-The High Int Wiz is dead, no one can pull the INT rune... i can pop my Wiz hireling and continue...
-I ran out of haste potions... Pop the wiz hireling again and haste me for the final battle...
-Etc...

So yeah... it can be annoying to read a: SHARE PLZZ!!! but... Even if the "share plzz" dude have a 90% chance to be a soul stone the entire quest... I can live with just 10% chance ;o)

Its my PERSONAL opinion, the OP have a very valid opinion too.

Grimtooth333
03-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Full contact semi-nude female pillow-fighting
Fixed. ;P

SirAggravator
03-04-2010, 03:12 AM
A third joined. His first words?

"share quest?"

I'm with Disavowed all the way here. Hearing those words as soon as someone joins group is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Most of the time it's not even "share quest" or "share please" but "share" (not even a 'hello') :rolleyes:
My general experience of people who join a group like this has made me bitter towards them :)

"Share" is a great convenience but for me has removed a useful part of DDO which we had to learn
in the past which was where the heck the quests were and how to get there. Kind of like a sat nav
and you never learn the route because you just follow an arrow.
At least we knew who the Quest giver was and their quest dialogues. Yes most people just skipped
the dialogues but I actually enjoyed reading them and often they give meaning and sense to
a lot of quests (e.g.Purge the Heretics ).

If I would make one change I'd make "Share Quest" only work after you have picked up the quest at least once.

Disavowed
03-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Most of the time it's not even "share quest" or "share please" but "share" (not even a 'hello') :rolleyes:
My general experience of people who join a group like this has made me bitter towards them :)

"Share" is a great convenience but for me has removed a useful part of DDO which we had to learn
in the past which was where the heck the quests were and how to get there. Kind of like a sat nav
and you never learn the route because you just follow an arrow.
At least we knew who the Quest giver was and their quest dialogues. Yes most people just skipped
the dialogues but I actually enjoyed reading them and often they give meaning and sense to
a lot of quests (e.g.Purge the Heretics ).

If I would make one change I'd make "Share Quest" only work after you have picked up the quest at least once.

QFT

I like the idead of having to get it at least 1 time before it can be shared.

I also like the satnav analogy. It's the equivilent of a person with a satnav. How many people have satnav, and since they do, they dont even know which way is N, S, E, & W?

Josh
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Last night running Orchard quests, a person joins grp. He runs up to the orchard entrance and says "share pls".

Dude ran right past ALL THE QUESTGIVERS to get to the entrance. If that doesn't scream laziness and "noob" I don't know what does.

Josh
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Fixed. ;P

How about full contact semi-nude female hot oil speed massage?

I fixed myself!

Josh
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
My orginal point was that sharing was a form of team work, and the post you responded too was my response to someone discussing Noobs and Pilons. OFC the context of when and where share quest is used has to be considered. Your example above is clearly an example of team work and a way to teach someone the ropes. From some of the posts I have read in this forum, I'm betting that there are several players on here who would not be as fortcoming with the directions, let alone accurate ones.

Granted, not every single player that behaves in this manor is going to be a noob or a pileon, but the odds are definitely stacked against them.

Dark_Helmet
03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
The two most annoying words in DDO.

Just because your new doesn't mean you have to be a noob. Unfornatley the noobs don't read the forums only the newbs do.
To disagree with you, I find it is has become more about lazy players who also pike in quests or don't contribute much (Hi Augie!).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/1418933434_bb8939705b.jpg
I would give you rep for this, but I have seen it somewhere before.... honorable mention for your vaulting efforts tho.

I have never seen anyone on Ghallanda give a hoot about this one way or the other.

Go back to your server then, F*face... er I mean, Hi Welcome! (damn, only have 10 hours of sleep in a week sure makes me cranky!)