PDA

View Full Version : Noob ranger weapon question

loaked
03-02-2010, 06:02 PM
So I have been playing for a month or so, I have a 7 Elf ranger, and have Tempest. But I am so confused on what weopons to use. I know I have more points on STR than DEX. I have read builds/guides/advice to use scimitar, long swords, khopesh, and rapiers. Right now I am using the rapiers, but wondering what weapon focus I should go with with a str based tempest?

I hope that makes sense, again I am new and trying to learn the ropes here. Maybe I am missing a bigger picture here.

Vissarion
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
My personal suggestion would be go with Scimitar with a Short Sword off-hand until your attack bonus is high enough to offset the penalty for wielding dual Scimmies. The reasoning is that Elves (unless you're Drow) get both Scimmy and Rapier enhancements, but Scimitars are much, much cheaper to acquire in-game. (If you doubt me, then just check the AH for Rapier prices - freakin' crazy).

Plus, Scimitars look badass.

loaked
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I get confused on what race, class, etc gets a boost for what type of weapons(slash, longsword, etc). But i thought Elf was profecient for longswords and rapiers?

Newtons_Apple
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
My personal suggestion would be go with Scimitar with a Short Sword off-hand until your attack bonus is high enough to offset the penalty for wielding dual Scimmies. The reasoning is that Elves (unless you're Drow) get both Scimmy and Rapier enhancements, but Scimitars are much, much cheaper to acquire in-game. (If you doubt me, then just check the AH for Rapier prices - freakin' crazy).

Plus, Scimitars look badass.

Thanks for the reply, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I get confused on what race, class, etc gets a boost for what type of weapons(slash, longsword, etc). But i thought Elf was profecient for longswords and rapiers?

Viss is basically saying you have a better chance of finding (or buying) a decent weapon as a scimitar or short sword than a rapier, as rapiers are expensive for vets and almost impossible for new players. If you already have a few decent rapiers, there would be nothing wrong with wielding a scimitar in your main hand and a rapier in your off hand, as rapiers (and shortswords) count as light weapons. Longswords are not as decent as scimitars and rapiers, as the crit range is less on a longsword.

As for proficiency, your class (ranger) grants you proficiency with all martial weapons, including scimitars.

tgun
03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Rapiers are not light weapons. They are just finessable. ALthough there is, at least 1 that I know of, a named rapier that is a light weapon but I forget the name.

WeiQuinn
03-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Elves originally had bonus enhancements to Rapiers and Longswords. One of the recent updates (don't remember which one) also gave elves Scimitar and Falchion enhancements. The catch is, you have to choose one or the other, you can't have both...

Aerenal Elves have enhancements for Rapier/Longsword

Valenar Elves have enhancements for Scimitar/Falchion

Drow Elves have enhancements for Rapier/Short Sword

loaked
03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Elves originally had bonus enhancements to Rapiers and Longswords. One of the recent updates (don't remember which one) also gave elves Scimitar and Falchion enhancements. The catch is, you have to choose one or the other, you can't have both...

Aerenal Elves have enhancements for Rapier/Longsword

Valenar Elves have enhancements for Scimitar/Falchion

Drow Elves have enhancements for Rapier/Short Sword

How do I know what type of Elv I am? Is it something you choose at the start. It looks like I choose Aerenal Elv then, when I look at my enhancements it says rapier/longsword, nothing about scimi or falchion.

One more question, would 'weapon focus piercing' be a good choice for my next feat? I was thinking this since longbow is peirced, and I do already have 2 descent rapiers(I figured 2 birds with one stone)? Or should I do 'over sized two weapon fighting' or 'greater two weapon fighting' next?

tihocan
03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
How do I know what type of Elv I am? Is it something you choose at the start. It looks like I choose Aerenal Elv then, when I look at my enhancements it says rapier/longsword, nothing about scimi or falchion.

One more question, would 'weapon focus piercing' be a good choice for my next feat? I was thinking this since longbow is peirced, and I do already have 2 descent rapiers(I figured 2 birds with one stone)? Or should I do 'over sized two weapon fighting' or 'greater two weapon fighting' next?
You can be either type of Elf, but picking one will lock you out of the other one. So if you want to take the other weapon specialization, you need to reset your enhancements first.

Your next feat (assuming your first 3 feats were dodge / mobility / spring attack) should be Improved Crit: Pierce or Slash (depending on whether you are using rapiers or scimitars). It won't help for bows though (bows would benefit from Ranged, not Pierce). You'll get GTWF for free as a L11 ranger.