PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Alert?

Wizard1406
03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I was duoing Misery's Peak on Elite with my lvl 3 sorc and a lv 3 barb because no one else wanted to join... we each had a hireling as well

at first it was going really well..but then near the end a green skull warning came up "dungeon alert" and about a dozen mobs came running at us ! needless to say we wiped and forgot that 1 person needs to stay inside or else quest reset and all progress lost >.<

we did hard before and there was no alert
afterwards we did the quest on elite with 5 man & a hireling and there was also dungeon alert but we did it easily of course

so the question is when do you get dungeon altert? is there a way to avoid it? is it only on elite? I never saw it anywhere else yet but Misery's elite

how many people are usually needed for a quest? Before I waste time not being able to finish...
the scaling seems off sometimes

Shishizaru
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I was duoing Misery's Peak on Elite with my lvl 3 sorc and a lv 3 barb because no one else wanted to join... we each had a hireling as well

at first it was going really well..but then near the end a green skull warning came up "dungeon alert" and about a dozen mobs came running at us ! needless to say we wiped and forgot that 1 person needs to stay inside or else quest reset and all progress lost >.<

afterwards we did the quest on elite with 5 man & a hireling and there was also dungeon alert but we did it easily of course

so the question is when do you get dungeon altert? is there a way to avoid it? is it only on elite? I never saw it anywhere else yet but Misery's elite

how many people are usually needed for a quest? Before I waste time not being able to finish...

If I recall correctly, the green skull is a warning and nothing else. Mobs do not get stronger, nor do they debuff you when they hit you. DA is tricky business one way or another. I've recently been in a quest where we ramped up to Yellow Alert and there wasn't a single mob around us. For some reason there are active mobs, aware of our presence, in locked rooms that we can't access. But they still contribute to DA.

DA, for better or for worse, exists at all difficulties. It occurs when you alert too many mobs to your presence. The idea is to keep people from simply running past all the mobs and getting to the end objectives.

How many people is needed for a quest is a subjective question. Depending on the player, the character build and the gear on said character, it can go the whole range from 1 to 6. Remember that the dungeons scale according to how many people are in the party. I believe hirelings contribute to this, but to a lesser extent then player characters and I believe it caps at a party of 4. If someone could verify/debunk this, that'd be great.

Paragon
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Dungeon Alert is DDO's built in anti-zerging system. It is in place to force players to kill everything in their path, and, ostensibly, to reduce lag caused by large groups of monsters trying to pathfind around each other. It occurs on any difficulty when too many monsters are aggroed at once. Green alert does nothing but tell you you've aggroed a bunch of stuff, which would have happened regardless of the alert. The biggest problems start arising when you hit yellow, orange, and red alerts, where monsters start slapping you with obscene decreases to movement speed every time they swing at you, whether or not they hit.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Misery's Peak has more mobs in the big rooms at higher difficulties. That's why you saw no alert on normal difficulty, there's not enough mobs in one place. On hard and elite you can get the green alert pretty easily thanks to the crowd of mobs waiting for you.

quickgrif
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Green alert does buff the mobs btw. We had this discussion and Mrcow proved that they do buff at green alert. Check the screen shots here. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2694583#post2694583)