PDA

View Full Version : BAB explanation pretty please.

BitkaCK2
02-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Okey-doke,
I've been playing a couple months now and I keep seeing lines like "BAB: 14\14\19\24" in character planner templates. I didn't quite follow the compendium's explanation and the thread I found assumed an understanding of the 3.5 mechanic that I don't have (played AD&D many many years ago but none of the latter revisions). I was wondering if someone could give me the "BAB for newbies" rundown or point me to a link with a simple breakdown of it.

Thanks,
bitkaCK2

Calebro
02-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Each class follows one of three Base Attack Bonus (BAB) progressions.
1/1 > 3/4 > 1/2
The compendium is written in Pen and Paper (PnP) format, whereas DDO follows slightly different rules.
According to PnP, each time your BAB increases 5 points beyond the first, you get another attack, but at a -5 to hit.
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1

In DDO however, you get 4 attack animations as long as you are standing motionless. The second attack is equal to the first, while the third and fourth are at +5 and +10 respectively.

The confusion comes from the fact that DDO uses different rules than PnP, but the compendium is written in PnP format.

Make sense now?

BitkaCK2
02-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Gettin' there, I understand the progression.
So in DDO we get 4 attacks per round and the "BAB: 14\14\19\24" would mean:
+14 to attack #1
+14 to attack #2
+19 to attack #3
+24 to attack #4?

Also does that mean we need at least +6 to attack to gain a second attack, +12 for a third and +18 for a fourth? Does Power Attack feat mess with that*?

Thanks again,
bitkaCK2

*sorry these last 2 questions just popped into my head

Calebro
02-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Your breakdown was correct.
As to your second question, you have all four attack animations by the time you have a +1 or +2 BAB (I've never paid *that* much attention to when they arrive to be honest, but it's early).

Oh, and in PnP you would get another attack at BAB 6, 11 & 16 (one for every 5 - after the first)

BitkaCK2
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you very much! :) That clears a lot up.

bitkaCK2

Edit: I went to +1 rep ya but its disabled so a symbolic *+1 rep* to you good sir (or madam).

Calebro
02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh, and I didn't notice the Power Attack question until now.
No, PA doesn't mess this up at all, but until you have a few levels under your belt PA is a hindrance rather than a boon.