PDA

View Full Version : Starter Rags - Do they serve any real purpose?

Tyro244
02-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Okay. I realize that this is an unequivocally the newbie-est question, but..

Do I need to keep my Starter Rags? For any thing?

Do they even serve a purpose other than to make you "new" PC look as if he/she just got shipwrecked?

I know that they do not add AC.

So, my real question is...

Will my PC ever need these Rags beyond the first moment of PC creation? Or should I just drop them first chance I get like any old rusty sword once I find any magic one?

Kerrn_Siff
02-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Remove -> light fire -> burn

Impatiens
02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
You will never need them. I always destroy mine. Only keep them if you want to RP being in a ship wreck frequently.

Kahuna68
02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
They are junk, so toss 'em.

Having said this, I'm sure Turbine is going to include them in some crafting recipe, in the future. :rolleyes:

hcarr
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
save if you dont feal like running in your skivies for those naked tempest spine runs. you will be the best dressed. very much app if you are a dwarf.

Feylina
02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
they make a nice drinking game item.

put them on a cleric or fvs and take a shot every time someone asks you why you aren't wearing armor.

vettkinn
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Lol, I kept mine comrade. Being level 19 and wearing that on favor runs is somewhat funny.

Newtons_Apple
02-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Do they even serve a purpose other than to make you "new" PC look as if he/she just got shipwrecked?

Will my PC ever need these Rags beyond the first moment of PC creation? Or should I just drop them first chance I get like any old rusty sword once I find any magic one?

They make dwarf females look right sexy...

HeavenlyCloud
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Useful for funny builds. I remember someone on Argonnessen doing a Barbarian who only used 2 handed clubs... used starter rags... and was named Bam Bam. :)

Talon_Moonshadow
02-28-2010, 07:24 PM
They make drow and Elf females look real hot!

Just like cute little elven cheerleaders... :D

Kaldais
02-28-2010, 08:17 PM
spoiler.

Here's the receipt for Rags of Super-duper-Epic-Godly-Ultimate 3l1teness

Rag + something mysterious + something else super + something epic + something Godly + something duper elite
into the Ultimate Alter

You will get a new Rag!
That will have
+100 Armor
featherfall, poison immunity, disease immunity, deathblock, trueseeing, fearsome, seeker +20, weighted 50%, bleeding, smells bad, poison guard, disease guard, death guard, protection +10, resistance +10, toughness, super fort., stinking cloud x30, cloudkill x20, underwater action, +10 to all stat.

Newtons_Apple
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
spoiler.

Rag + something mysterious + something else super + something epic + something Godly + something duper elite
into the Ultimate Alter

You will get a new Rag!
That will have
+100 Armor
featherfall, poison immunity, disease immunity, deathblock, trueseeing, fearsome, seeker +20, weighted 50%, bleeding, smells bad, poison guard, disease guard, death guard, protection +10, resistance +10, toughness, super fort., stinking cloud x30, cloudkill x20, underwater action, +10 to all stat.

I'm still waiting on that greensteel bridge I bought from you last April 1st. When can I expect the Unicorn Post to deliver it?

Dendrix
03-01-2010, 04:36 AM
They let you practice how to destroy items

Memnir
03-01-2010, 04:41 AM
They look better then some of the named armor in the game...

Kriogen
03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Twigs FTW!

I keep. You never know what Turbine will come up with.

Anderei
03-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Starter Rags are there to wear em before you log off to mock people looking you up on myddo.
Onfortunally I destroyed them already on my first 2 toons.

phalaeo
03-01-2010, 05:38 AM
spoiler.

into the Ultimate Alter

You will get a new Rag!
That will have
+100 Armor

Exactly- like you read my mind. :)

Tyro244
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Useful for funny builds. I remember someone on Argonnessen doing a Barbarian who only used 2 handed clubs... used starter rags... and was named Bam Bam. :)

LOL Bam Bam

I love this answer the best. still LOL

You gotta love a player with a sense of humor. :-D

Seriously, thanks for clearing that up, guys. Rags are... ...well, rags. :-)

But honestly, you never know when some game designer/programmer will decide to get clever and expect the truly good PCs (Paladins etc) to save their rags to give to the first cold, naked, old beggar they find. Perhaps just to add a tiny boost of Favor for your "goodie-two-shoe-i-ness."

But who am I kidding, right? They are nothing more than a clever Skin for the opening romp.

Thanks again.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
They look better than underwear for naked guild runs

Noctus
03-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Keep them.

Equip them and wield two Clubs of the Holy Flame from Deleras when you enter a pug-Shroud.

Fun!

Anderei
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Keep them.

Equip them and wield two Clubs of the Holy Flame from Deleras when you enter a pug-Shroud.

Fun!

If you don't have the clubs at hands, you can redo heytons rest on Korthos, they offer a free rusty sword and club now in a chest right at the entrace. Wear it before you log out :)

Gnorbert
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Don't forget to attune them and add +1 AC ritual :D

phalaeo
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I swear to god that Turbine will make some uberleet item with them.
Combine the following:
Starter Rags
Festival Twig
20 Snowballs
Masterwork Shuriken

And get:
UberRags!
No ML
Godly Combustion 9
Super Heavy Fort
Vorpal Guard (25% proc)
Greater Teleport (3x Day)
Permanent Stoneskin
Healing Amp 3,000%
(Hidden Effect: +6 Exceptional CON)

epochofcrepuscule
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
come on people... we all know the starter rags are going to be random crafting.... quit messing with his head!

SquelchHU
03-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Wearing the starter rags in any high level raid will cause a 'special' event to happen. :D