PDA

View Full Version : Why am I missing so much?

Oktai
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm new to DDO, and I've played some D&D games before, but I don't know the actual factors and details of it.

I've created a fighter, and I've decided to go for a whirling Dervish (http://ddowiki.com/page/Whirling_Dervish) build, and I have two scimitars, a Two handed fighting feat, and the Valenar Elf Melle Damage I enhancement to add to the damage and attacks with my Scimitars.

Yet, I swing about 10 times, and 9 of those swings, are misses. It's bugging me, and I don't know what to do.

Can anyone give me some tips in how I should proceed? Thank you.

Horrorscope
02-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Uh oh. I feel son of glancing blows coming. There is a to hit roll that you have to beat the enemies resistance with. When you don't you miss. If you are new and not built well, you can miss more. This is/was one of the big reason new players left, it was different and they didn't like or understand. Turbine I believe has been doing a lot to make those misses fewer and fewer. Hearing this, they might be making more changes, to the anger of some old time purists.

Kaeldur
02-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Could you post some numbers? What is your level and what is your attack bonus? Are you following that template EXACTLY the same? If not, what are your ability scores (strength, dexterity, etc)?

Sirea
02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
You need the Two Weapon Fighting line of feats if you're going to use two scimitars, and Oversized TWF helps as well. Two Handed Fighting is for two-handed weapons (greataxe/greatsword/falchion etc.) I think you got your feats confused.

sephiroth1084
02-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay, a few things.

First, do you have Two-Handed Fighting, or Two-Weapon Fighting? The first applies to 2-handed weapons, and the second to wielding two separate weapons, one wielded in each hand. Fighting with 2 weapons without the feat results in pretty significant penalties. Even with the proper feat, using two weapons causes a -2 penalty on your attack rolls.

Second, fighting with a non-light weapon in your off-hand results in a further -2 penalty to your attack rolls. Scimitars are not light weapons. Try using a scimitar in your main (top) hand and a kukri in your off-hand.

Are you moving while trying to hit stuff? Doing so will cause a -4 penalty to your attack rolls.

What is your attack stat's base value? You should have started with a high (16+) Str.

Do you have Power Attack on? That can cause up to a -5 penalty to your attack rolls.

What kind of scimitars are you using? I find that it's always a good diea to keep a weapon (or set of weapons) around at low levels that just have the highest straight enhancement (+) value for those times when you find yourself missing a lot.

Oktai
02-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry, when I said Two handed fighting, I meant the Two weapon fighting Feat.

Secondly, the build in itself is hard to follow. It has the beginner stats I should go for, and the end. Nothign in between. But I have;

Str: 16
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Wis: 8
Intel: 8
Cha: 8

AC = 18 +2
Base attack bonus: +2

I'm a lvl 2 fighter.

The feats I currently (As in have taken) have are: Power Attack, Toughness and Two Weapon Fighting

The enhancements I have taken are:

Fighter attack boost I,
Fighter Haste boost I,
Valenar Elf Melee Damage I,
Fighter Critical Accuracy I,
Fighter Toughness I.

EDIT: I'm stand still, when fighting.

I wasn't aware that Power Attack reduced my attack, and that having an extra heavy weapon in another hand reduces my hit chance too.

Shishizaru
02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
If you're set on TWF'ing at low levels, make sure Power Attack is off and you have a light weapon in your off hand. Don't feel like you NEED to use two weapons because you have the feat. If you're still missing a lot, go ahead and pull out a two-hander for a little bit, then switch back to TWF when your BAB is a bit higher.

sephiroth1084
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Secondly, the build in itself is hard to follow. It has the beginner stats I should go for, and the end. Nothign in between. But I have;

Str: 16
Dex: 17
Con: 14
Wis: 8
Intel: 8
Cha: 8

AC = 18 +2
Base attack bonus: +2

I'm a lvl 2 fighter.

The feats I currently (As in have taken) have are: Power Attack, Toughness and Two Weapon Fighting

The enhancements I have taken are:

Fighter attack boost I,
Fighter Haste boost I,
Valenar Elf Melee Damage I,
Fighter Critical Accuracy I,
Fighter Toughness I.

I wasn't aware that Power Attack reduced my attack, and that having an extra heavy weapon in another hand reduces my hit chance too.
Yeah, at low levels you shouldn't be both using two weapons and Power Attack together. You could get a shield, and use that with PA for tough fights, then turn off PA when you whip out a second weapon.

Picking up Weapon Focus will help early on as well.

Oktai
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Great. Another question. If I wear heavy armour, will my hit chance be reduced too? So should I keep to light armour?

Sirea
02-28-2010, 01:55 PM

See, if you were determined to fight with two scimitars at that low of a level you should have taken OTWF instead of Power Attack.

Shishizaru
02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Great. Another question. If I wear heavy armour, will my hit chance be reduced too? So should I keep to light armour?

As a Fighter you should be proficient in Heavy Armor. So no, you won't be taking an attack penalty. If you weren't a fighter and didn't have Heavy Armor Proficiency, then you would suffer additional penalties.

Oktai
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
See, if you were determined to fight with two scimitars at that low of a level you should have taken OTWF instead of Power Attack.

If only I knew what I had been doing at the beginning then :P

Shishizaru: Thank you for the information.

Kaeldur
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Secondly, the build in itself is hard to follow. It has the beginner stats I should go for, and the end. Nothign in between.
Actually it says exactly what to do. You got the base stats correct, now all you need to do is keep putting points into Strength at every 4 levels. As for skills you'll only have 1 point, which should go into Intimidate, according to the build.

So my advice would be to pick up just a big sword (Greatsword, for example) until you get ITWF (Improved Two Weapon Fighting) AND OTWF (Oversized Two Weapon Fighting), then you can switch to your dual scimitar. I think the build should show at which order to pick feats.

By what you said you have: Toughness, Two Weapon Fighting, Power Attack.
In my opinion the TWF was taken too early, but no big deal. Make sure your next feat selection is Weapon Focus: Slashing, then ITWF. Once you take those two I think you're good for dual scimitar, but until then stick to a big weapon.

No. Stick to heavy armor, you will take no penalties for it.

Oktai
02-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Actually it says exactly what to do. You got the base stats correct, now all you need to do is keep putting points into Strength at every 4 levels. As for skills you'll only have 1 point, which should go into Intimidate, according to the build.

So my advice would be to pick up just a big sword (Greatsword, for example) until you get ITWF (Improved Two Weapon Fighting) AND OTWF (Oversized Two Weapon Fighting), then you can switch to your dual scimitar. I think the build should show at which order to pick feats.

In my opinion the TWF was taken too early, but no big deal. Make sure your next feat selection is Weapon Focus: Slashing, then ITWF. Once you take those two I think you're good for dual scimitar, but until then stick to a big weapon.

Ah, thank you very much. It's nice to know where I should be going now. Thanks again for the help.

Sirea
02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually it says exactly what to do.

The build isn't very clear on the feats though. I'd have to disagree with the order of those feats if they were meant to be taken in the order listed. OTWF is taken at much too high of a level to be of any real benefit.

rage9
02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Ya, I think one of the most common mistakes made, is people taking Power Attack way to early.
They hear everyone going on about "must have Power Attack" and are "OK" got it!

Even if you take the feat (PA) early to unlock some of the other feats that it is required for, I don't think u should toggle it on until later lvl's. It takes up to 5 points off your to hit # of your base attack bonus.
So as a fighter you go up by 1 BAB every lvl. thats lvl 5 with BAB of 5, pwr att on makes you BAB of 0. so the only bonus to hit you get is the + off the weapon your using and the + of your Str modifier.

Lvl 5 fighter
BAB +5
16 str +3
+2 str bracers +1
1 lvl stat plus fighter str1 +1
say +3 weapon +3
= +13 added to D20 roll to hit target
power attack -5
moving while attacking -4 you are going to move trust me 8)
heavy off hand weapon -2
not having the feats -4
= -2 subtracted from D20 roll to hit target

Doomcrew
02-28-2010, 02:51 PM

If you're going to switch to a 2H'er, go falchion. It sticks with your Valenar
enhancement line. Or a trip the MP for the free feat switch quest to pick up
OTWF.

Cheers

Noctus
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
TWF only becomes a good fighting style once you have ITWF. Before that the atack penalties hurt toomuch, as well as the payoff being only 1 extra swing.

Later your attack bonus raises much faster than the monsters AC, so you will hit much more reliably. And also deal more damage when TWFing. But before that either go Sword&Board or grab a 2-Hander if you want to DPS.

Kaeldur
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
The build isn't very clear on the feats though. I'd have to disagree with the order of those feats if they were meant to be taken in the order listed. OTWF is taken at much too high of a level to be of any real benefit.

Yeah... I stated that later... the feats aren't clear, and I highly doubt the list is the order in which to take them...

Kaldais
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I would suggest going scimi + board till you are atleast level 4 when you can pick up the Oversized Two Weapon Fighting feat.

That way you should have
2 BAB + 3 str = +5 + weapon bonus as your to-hit roll. Then pick up the goggle of insight from Korthos, Necromancer quest, and the Anger's set which will boost your to-hit to +8 + weapon bonus.
Sure you will lose 1 swing, but you will have no problem hitting and 3-4 better AC which at your level can mean the difference between making a quest hard or make it easy.